Firestone Stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So I had an old Firestone girls frame and i was just getting ready to scrap it when the bright idea hits me to stretch it.

Started with this.

Mock up.

Rear cuts.

Tank I have for it.

Right now my filler pieces are 16" not sure it I will stay with that or not.

Well I only have 20 minutes everyday to work on it and I am teaching myself to tig weld so progress is slow right now.

I managed to do most of my mods on the rear of the bike.

Did a pie cut behind the crank tube and expanded it to raise the back wheel mount. Raised the dopouts at least 3 inches.

Pie cut the rear upper arms where they meet the rear drop outs and lowered the top tube on the seat tube which i also took 6 inches off of.

Some finish weld filling and some grinding and I will be onto welding the stretch tubes in front of the crank.

Got side tracked on a different project and got back to this one today. Tubes are all straight but head tube is about 5 degrees off. Will tackle this next week and then try and wrap my mind around the forks.

whats your plans for a seat? or are you relocating the cranks?
it looks good and all but with that geometry it would appear that you are a short fellow with abnormally long arms..

nice work so far though :)

iven said:
it looks good and all but with that geometry it would appear that you are a short fellow with abnormally long arms..

Seat is basically going to sit on top of the tube.

New crank tube will go by short divider tube. Thinking of running chain from new tube to a double sprocket from a 10 speed bike at the original tube to the rear end (don't really like the look of a long slapping chain.).

barnbikes said:
iven said:

New crank tube will go by short divider tube. Thinking of running chain from new tube to a double sprocket from a 10 speed bike at the original tube to the rear end (don't really like the look of a long slapping chain.).

sweet man that sounds sweet haha
put apes on it ant your arms be sky high man haha 8) :lol:

Trying to design a head badge.

Oval or square?

Black lines are cuts and red lines are marking lines.

Cool. 8) I have a frame that I was thinking about doing something similar to this but didn't consider changing the rear triangle. I'll be watching!

barnbikes said:
iven said:
whats your plans for a seat? :)

Have you tried this yet? With the wheel/tire mounted, it looks to me like there would be no room for the saddle to extend behind the seat tube. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right you might could make a lucky 7 type post facing forward. :?:

I have girder forks on my mind.

Want to use .250" Alum but I think I will have use Cold Roll steel. Worried about the weight though.

3 choices I have drawn up.

The Renaissance Man said:
Have you tried this yet? With the wheel/tire mounted, it looks to me like there would be no room for the saddle to extend behind the seat tube. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right you might could make a lucky 7 type post facing forward. :?:

Have a big butt seat from a exercise bike that I will probably use. You are right with the back of the seat being even with the tube. Might make a .250" tube sissy bar for my but that will weld to the seat tube.

Cut my tags today. .030 alum and 0.060 mirrored Stainless. Like the stainless but do not know how to roll it.

Latest posts

Back