Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53Columbia7/28 MO DONE - Roller Again - PIC HEAVIER

deorman said:
:? Um, dude, you forgot something.

VKS0623-01b.jpg

:lol: :mrgreen:
Hahaha YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!! DON'T STICK A FORK IN IT YET CUZ HE AIN'T DONE.

kingfish254 said:
It has been fun following your build too and seeing the different paths we took. You have one sick ride!! We should have a little side comp. Whoever ends up with the least votes buys the other a set of the new RRB drooling eyeball stickers. Whatcha think?

I'd take you up on that, but I'd probably have plan to order the stickers for you now. But I looked in the store section and didn't see a new one...

expjawa said:
kingfish254 said:
It has been fun following your build too and seeing the different paths we took. You have one sick ride!! We should have a little side comp. Whoever ends up with the least votes buys the other a set of the new RRB drooling eyeball stickers. Whatcha think?

I'd take you up on that, but I'd probably have plan to order the stickers for you now. But I looked in the store section and didn't see a new one...

I was just playing around, who knows which one will be higher. Here are the new stickers.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75304&p=732168&hilit=stickers#p732168

Re: FireWing 53Columbia 7/30 Da Debil is in the Details

As Bobby Boucher's mama said, "Da Debil is in da details." So tonight I went through some final detail tryouts.

First up was trying to see if any of the Fox/Coon tails that I bought in Tallinn, Estonia at Christmas would work on Firewing.
WP_002599_zps86031573.jpg

WP_002600_zpsa249e78e.jpg

WP_002601_zpsf12a2e31.jpg

WP_002602_zps9458ad66.jpg

WP_002604_zpsd026965b.jpg

All of the fox tails were just toooo big. I am going with the coon tail with a special yard sale hanger.
WP_002609_zps9d790edc.jpg

WP_002610_zpsb260c05c.jpg

Next up is bell placement
WP_002608_zps3a1053b1.jpg

Followed by the 1953 tag
WP_002612_zpsdcd1e184.jpg

Then I decided to try out the mudflap idea. Crappy photos, but this one may stick.
WP_002619_zps4dd095d6.jpg

WP_002618_zps69322b60.jpg

WP_002617_zpsf19e6458.jpg

WP_002616_zpsbf78df53.jpg

WP_002615_zps8fe53be9.jpg

And finally, a possible Built not Bought badge.
WP_002620_zps8f49ae2b.jpg

Love the "built not bought" King!
Normally I am all positive and enthusiastic in these comments, but maybe, just maybe... those mudflaps may be just too much of a good thing? :?: Maybe because they are so bright in comparison to everything else they seem to draw your eye away from some of the other awesome features. (Just my opinion!) :wink:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Love the "built not bought" King!
Normally I am all positive and enthusiastic in these comments, but maybe, just maybe... those mudflaps may be just too much of a good thing? :?: Maybe because they are so bright in comparison to everything else they seem to draw your eye away from some of the other awesome features. (Just my opinion!) :wink:

Luke.

I had planned on putting a "Not Bought" under the "Columbia Built" script on the chainguard, but I just don't want to mess it up.

Thanks VERY much for the honesty Luke!! I always apprecite constructive criticism. They aren't as bright as my cell phone camera makes them, but even if I stained them up, I don't think they are right for the build. Thanks again.

MplsCoaster said:
So Many Details!! You're blowing my mind! 8) :lol:

Sorry dude!!!!! :mrgreen:

3750~Blow-Your-Mind-Posters.jpg

cool PBR hanger for the tail :!: that thing might even come in handy :wink: :wink:

Troy

erichitscar said:
Nicely done! definitely the most creative!

Thank you sir!

jats said:
cool PBR hanger for the tail :!: that thing might even come in handy :wink: :wink: Troy

One thing I'm not sure of is the way the coon tail splits the Elgin and Flame skirts. It may distract from the transition too much. I love the coon tail, so I just may move it to the other side. Thoughts?

EDIT: I already answered my own question once I looked at both photos. The coon tail is going to the other side.

WP_002618_zps69322b60.jpg

IMG_2391_zps998f84e1.jpg

Looks Awesome!!

I agree the tail was too distracting. MUCH BETTER :shock:

junknutz1975 said:
Looks Awesome!!

I agree the tail was too distracting. MUCH BETTER :shock:

Agreed. I'm not sure that the tail really fit the bike at all - though I'd struggle to come up with a situation that they would work. I guess I never "got" the whole coon tail thing.

To the best of my knowledge, early hot rods and jalopies would use them on their radio antennas. Like many doodads on bikes, I think kids were imitating what they saw on cars. I have always liked them on certain rat rod bikes and I like it on Firewing. I just didn't like the way it broke up the smooth transition from Elgin to Fire skirts. I always consider the chainguard side of a bike as the "money" side visually, so I am moving it to the left side of the bike.

EDIT: Actually, I'll take a hard look at it on the left side before I decide. Thanks for the input guys. It always helps to have another set of eyes.

I've seen them on rat rods, but never really saw the appeal. However, you see so many unique things on rat rods (I saw an old Electrolux being used as a hood scoop once) that it's hard to define what's there, what it really is and isn't. I expect that's why we don't talk about it. Maybe what you need is an antenna to hang your tail from. You could have a 4' whip coming up off of the rear fender - that would get some attention! :lol:

The only place I have seen them on vintage bike photos is at the seat, fender, or rack. If I added an antenna whip, then I would probably put a bright yellow tennis ball on the end. :p

I have to be honest, going through, watching this build I couldn't see this looking great.
However, it looks amazing. You have quite the vision and skills my man!

Throw a mini antenna off the back of that banana seat and throw the tail on it. Wicked look you got on this.

DeuceWheeler said:
I have to be honest, going through, watching this build I couldn't see this looking great.
However, it looks amazing. You have quite the vision and skills my man!

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate your honesty! I think part of it with a lot of the builds (mine especially because of the small size of my shop), is that you typically only see cramped photos of bits and pieces or a glob of unfinished parts slapped together. When I look at other builds, I try to see beyond that into the future, but it never matches what's in the mind of the builder. Then all of a sudden parts are painted and fitted correctly and POW it's a real bike again. That's the beauty of the Build Off.

Latest posts

Back