Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/8 Tire + Skirt Mockups

Skipton said:
I like the color combo of the whole bike with cream tires or red.

One thing I always do like (that my not be seen in pics) is how nice a fat tire fills up the fender.

Other random thoughts....

Something about the banana seat I like... Flows so nice keeps the height of the bike on one plane.

Love the bars.... A big headlight would be killer.

Skirts might be to much... Maybe

as always sorry you are low on ideas :wink:

Keep up the good work!

The BOAs fill out the fender even more than the Thick Bricks maintly because the are 26". They are not as wide as the Thick Bricks though.

Non-RRBers at work and such tend to like the springer seat better, but a ton of RRBers lean more towards the nanner. I keep going back to it for the same reason you mentioned. Teh lines of the bike just flow with it. I haven't really given much thought on how to support it yet. I may do something like bike2112 did with Mosby's Raider last year with the spring steel running from the kickstand along the fender to the nanner.

I am definitely digging the inverse billy goat bars. I have plans for a cool Cadet speedo up top. Haven't thought about a BIG light for it cuz I did that last year with Flexy. I am still thinking the flaming skull light or I have a cool flying wing dual headlight idea that I have been wanting to attempt.

I'm not sold on the skirt guards yet either.

Keep the ideas and opinions coming, it gives me something to feed on.

Glad you are enjoying my build. Even though this is totally different from Flexy, I am still having a blast and enjoying the challenge.

Double Nickle said:
You should leave the cream rear and red front. Something is just awesome about that.

I was thinking the exact same thing while scrolling thru the photos. 8)

And if you can figure out a way to unobtrusively fit the purple nanner as it really blends well with overall lines of the bike...and then some purple glitter grips? 8)

Kingfish, I love the mismatched tires and fenders. Somehow just seems very "right" for it. The plastic skirt guards, not so much. I think that even if you made them match, they just don't flow into the lines of the bike as a whole. The banana seat seems to fit in between the tank and the fender naturally, but at the same time I think the low-slung spring saddle is a natural for it. Can't wait to see what you settle on.

:D I PROTEST :shock: please MR RAT ROD BIKES,how do us mere mortals compete with such talent,could you PLEASE consider a "LEGENDS CLASS"or maybe a "MASTERS CLASS"we first time rookies ain't got a chance,what about a"CHERRY CLASS"for first timers like myself and others,PLEASE :D :D :D :mrgreen: :cry: Kingfish your a legend,nice bike :DPS-no disrespect intended, :D

Ya know, opinions are like belly buttons, we all have 'em. That being said, I have never been a fan of banana seats, but that's just me.

This bike however has changed my opinion. Looking at the pictures, my eye keeps being drawn back to the seat every time. For me, it's the one thing that defines the whole build! Skirts, tires, skulls or whatever else you decide to do is all secondary. I've tried to figure out why I'm so impressed with it. I believe that it is because of the flow with the frame. The curve of the seat follows the frame and then back up to the fender perfectly.

The one thing that I would love to see is the seat sitting directly on the frame without a gap. It might be uncomfortable to ride, but it sure would look good!

primestyle said:
:D I PROTEST :shock: please MR RAT ROD BIKES,how do us mere mortals compete with such talent,could you PLEASE consider a "LEGENDS CLASS"or maybe a "MASTERS CLASS"we first time rookies ain't got a chance,what about a"CHERRY CLASS"for first timers like myself and others,PLEASE :D :D :D :mrgreen: :cry: Kingfish your a legend,nice bike :DPS-no disrespect intended, :D

:D I know from your other bikes that you ain't no rookie and that you are brining skillz to this game. It may be your first BO, but so was BO7 for Fordsnake and he won with MoFaux. I really appreciate the praise, but this is only my third BO and my fourth custom build total. Thanks for the humor and the praise. NOW GIT TO BUILDIN!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I haven't even gotten started and you've put in a lot of hours. It's looking good, but I got a backache thinking about reaching for those handlebars.

The Renaissance Man said:
Ya know, opinions are like belly buttons, we all have 'em. That being said, I have never been a fan of banana seats, but that's just me.

This bike however has changed my opinion. Looking at the pictures, my eye keeps being drawn back to the seat every time. For me, it's the one thing that defines the whole build! Skirts, tires, skulls or whatever else you decide to do is all secondary. I've tried to figure out why I'm so impressed with it. I believe that it is because of the flow with the frame. The curve of the seat follows the frame and then back up to the fender perfectly.

The one thing that I would love to see is the seat sitting directly on the frame without a gap. It might be uncomfortable to ride, but it sure would look good!

Thanks for the insight R-Man. I keep being drawn back to that nanner every time I put it on there. It just flows. Now I just have to find some Glitter Rust Ribbed Vinyl to recover it.
I don't know if I can slam it to the frame without either cutting the top of the seat tube or puttong a hole in the seatpan. Maybe I'll just add some skirtting below the seat.

Wildcat said:
I haven't even gotten started and you've put in a lot of hours. It's looking good, but I got a backache thinking about reaching for those handlebars.

I sat on it last night and it's not bad at all. It will much easier when I put my lycra on :p :mrgreen:
That's what we need!!!!!! Lycra RRB bike jerseys!!! :shock:

Ok I thought I would throw my .02 in. Red tires on vintage rims have a great contrast to them and it doesn't add another color to the palate. The springer seat works well with the age and the color scheme. But the nanner definitely flows better. Going out on a limb here. ... use the nanner recovered in old worn leather mount using the spring steel like on mosbys last year. And then for that added vintage look use the long springs from the other seat under the nanner. They won't be functional but will look the part.

Skipton said:
Love the bars.... A big headlight would be killer.

This got me thinking about headlights, so I looked through my Fresh Finds thread and found this. It's even the right color.

WP_001288.jpg

someguy83 said:
use the nanner recovered in old worn leather mount using the spring steel like on mosbys last year. And then for that added vintage look use the long springs from the other seat under the nanner. They won't be functional but will look the part.

:idea: I like your thinking :idea: - Thanks for the leather and springs idea.

I actualy have this old satchel that I picked up a couple of years ago somewhere.
IMG_2379.jpg

Thinking about leather nanners made me remember Petroheads DeLuxe 6 Rat Racer.
1935_Monark_5_Bar_58-58.jpg

There is so much going on here, you should have named this bike "Sensory Overload"

supergoob said:
There is so much going on here, you should have named this bike "Sensory Overload"

I did that build last year and it was called Flex-Liner 7 (Flexy). :mrgreen:

I have these Elgin skirt guards on their way to me. I think I can use them and incorporate an hidden curved sissy bar support for the nanner.

elginskirtIMG_20130401_192644_580_zpsd13efae2.jpg

Looking good Kingfish! Are those fender skirts on your bike now plastic? Or? Haven't seen them before but they look great! Keep up the good work!

carrotsnax said:
Looking good Kingfish! Are those fender skirts on your bike now plastic? Or? Haven't seen them before but they look great! Keep up the good work!

Thanks. The ones that I have been mocking up are plastic Electra Amsterdam skirt/coat guards. I was planning on cutting them to fit and cutting flames into them. It's thick plastic, but should be easy to shape with a dremel.
If you like them you too can have a set for the low price of $35 shipped.
TWO SETS LEFT
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71017

Looking awesome. Love the look of the seat and the profile is killer. I really like the vented skirts can't wait to see that mock up.

Latest posts

Back