Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/3 Tank Horn + Wheel Lacing

My first laced wheel was when I was about 11. It really didn't go very well but at least I gave it a try.

I hadn't tried another til a couple of years ago, about 35 years after the first attempt. I can do them relatively quickly now and really like it.

This weekend I took apart my first coaster brake hub since also about 35 years ago. Those always scared me but this one wasn't that bad.

It's cool to have the build to push things a bit.

It's funny how such a simple thing gave me a sense of accomplishment. I chickened out last year. About to head out and lace up the front wheel now.

I used this youtube video, there is a dirty word in the title, but otherwise it's a great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU6mi0K4Y4

I don't seem to have the right spokes for my rear wheel, I need to get on that calculator and see what I need, how many spokes you got? :wink:

Yooth,I laced my wheels using that video and my valve stem hole came out in the wrong spot...
Guy at the bike shop told me old wheels were different than the one in video....????

Houndog said:
Yooth,I laced my wheels using that video and my valve stem hole came out in the wrong spot...
Guy at the bike shop told me old wheels were different than the one in video....????

It worked for me, I had the same "up down" on the spoke holes on either side of the valve stem hole.

yoothgeye said:
I used this youtube video, there is a dirty word in the title, but otherwise it's a great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU6mi0K4Y4

I don't seem to have the right spokes for my rear wheel, I need to get on that calculator and see what I need, how many spokes you got? :wink:

I don't have a huge amount that are sized for 26" wheels. Probably enough for me to use on a few wheels, but not enough to sell off. I think a lot of my spokes are for smaller wheels.

Houndog said:

I must have gotten lucky, I didn't even think about the valve space, but looking at my pic it came out right.

I took apart the front hub a few days ago and let it all soak in simple green. Tonight I cleaned it all up and went to put it together, but realized my axle was bent. Two more axles later, I found a straight one with the smaller diameter that would fit the forks.

Crunched the numbers in teh spoke calc again and came up with 166mm. I have a box of Wheelmaster 165mm's so I went with those.

Less than an hour later I had another wheel laced. These spokes are the right lenght and give me enough room to tweak.

I still want to paint the spokes and find some distressed nipples for the front wheel, so I de-laced both wheels.

Next step will be to cut a couple of mm off of the rear spokes and add some threads. What's the best way to cut spokes? I took a small spoke and tried a couple of dfferent dikes. They all leave too much extra that sticks out so that it doesn't thread onto the nipple, even after I run it through my spoke threader. Time to do some research.

instead of paint on the spokes you could use my little trick : shrink tubes "for electric wires"
comes in many colors and add a fatter look to theme :wink:
DSCN4694.jpg

DSCN4690.jpg

Cool idea with the shrink wrap, but that would look too pristine and uniform for this build.

Went to my bike stash and came away with this late 60s ladies Hawthorne wheel to use as the donor for aged spoke nipples.

Pretty good match with the Columbia nipples.

Used my Hozan spoke threader for the first time. Cool and easy, but man was it some tedious work to thread 36 of these. :shock:
Glad I had a brew or two to help me along.

Houndog said:
Grind em......

I plan to put a nipple on them, then cut them with dikes, then grind them and let the nipple help clean the threads when I remove it.

Wow Kingfish you really rock!! nice work on the rims!!!!

Troy

kingfish254 said:
Pretty good match with the Columbia nipples.

That's attention to detail!

Also, soaking the spokes in a vinegar bath will remove the new. I did that on Old Glory with pretty good results.

bike2112 said:
Is beer just this years version of last years bunny?

Beer is just the unofficial RRBBO8 creativity inducing nectar.

When are you jumping into the build off?????

jats said:
Wow Kingfish you really rock!! nice work on the rims!!!!

Thanks man. I love the rims. We'll see how the wheels turn out.

The Renaissance Man said:
That's attention to detail!
Also, soaking the spokes in a vinegar bath will remove the new. I did that on Old Glory with pretty good results.

The shiny nipples would take away from the rims.
I may try the vinegar bath on the spokes. It would probably help for paint adhesion anyway.

bike2112 said:
kingfish254 said:
bike2112 said:
Is beer just this years version of last years bunny?

Beer is just the unofficial RRBBO8 creativity inducing nectar.

When are you jumping into the build off?????

I'm not. Retired of sorts, but keeping my eye on things. Bike looks great dude.

PS - that cool looking leaf spring fork in the highlights thread.....mine. Wife and I are still keeping our eye on Charleston so hopefully a Savannah crusie or 2 or 10 are in our future. Dying to rock the cycle truck down there.

Love that fork! Look me up if you head down my way!

Lacing your own rims very impressed. :p

PeterBuilt said:
Lacing your own rims very impressed. :p

I AM SOMEBODY, I'M IN THE PHONE BOOK!!!! :mrgreen:
SteveMartinPhoneBook_238x270.jpg

I'm sure it's second nature to many RRBers, but it has been a fun achievement for me. We'll see how well I do with painted spokes.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/7 Spokes and Jewels

Sanded the spokes a bit and made up a spoke painting jig with my drill press

Laid down black first because I want to lessen the chance of shiny bits showing up if I scratch the spoke.

Then laid down a couple of coats of primer red.

Painted the front hub like I did the back one. Primer red underneath followed by flat black on top. I'll scuff up a few areas before I lace the wheel.

Latest posts

Back