Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53Columbia 7/30 Da Debil is in the Details

The Renaissance Man said:
Looks great, but where's your beer holder? :)

I always have my trusty Two Fish beverage holder.
31l1RsosjVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Looks great, but where's your beer holder? :)

I always have my trusty Two Fish beverage holder.
31l1RsosjVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is the only beer holder I know of.

100px-KungFuGrip_zps1a395b26.jpg

Maybe next year you need to build BeerRun 2.0, which uses a mini keg as a frame tank. Then you don't have a carry a beer, just remember to fill the bike before heading out... :mrgreen:

rat-a-tac said:
Throw a mini antenna off the back of that banana seat and throw the tail on it. Wicked look you got on this.

Glad you like the look! I want to keep the low profile, so nothing higher than the bars.

IMG_2397_zpsc4dc3260.jpg

panelman said:
It just keeps getting cooler and cooler, Save some of the Coolness for the rest of us. :D

I am just doing my best trying to keep up with the coolness of the other builds out there this year.

IMG_2393_zpsb6d5c4ec.jpg

Had to work on a few mechanical issues tonight. There had been a weird noise from the BB/Crank area and I haven't had time to look into it. I figured it was something in the BB, so I opened that up and all was well. With the chain off, everything was fine. The popping noise returned when I put the chain on. So off with the chain and on with another one. All is well with the drivetrain again. The old chain was one I had from a parts bike. It fit the chainring and hub correctly, and didn't seam stiff, but something just wasn't right with it. Regardless. All is good now.

I also noticed that both the front and back wheels need a little tighter spoke tension from my lacing. I tightened the rear wheel a half turn per spoke and the front wheel a whole turn per spoke. The wheels remained true.

Based on feedback from bigorangecat, I trimmed up the bottom of the skirt guards to flow a little better. I didn't take photos of this but it is basically like this.
FIRE.jpg

I attached the Built Not Bought seat badge.
WP_002623_zpsf950aefa.jpg

I realized I hadn't thought about valve caps. I could easily drill out two of my 8 ball keychains, but I did 7 balls last year. So I looked around at my options and decided to use a pair of dice with a RRBBO8 twist.
WP_002622_zpsca742fcc.jpg

Re: FireWing 53Columbia 7/31 Drivetrain+wheel issues + Doodads

Kool looker, flames, color, graphics, lines, details, still a bit ratty, great build KF.

This bike looks magnetic... :lol: Its just so insane that you can't help but love it, hard to believe there is an original frame under there!!

LukeTheJoker said:
Don't go to Vegas with those dice King! :lol: Cool!!! Luke.

I thought it was a simple touch.

MazdaFlyer said:
Kool looker, flames, color, graphics, lines, details, still a bit ratty, great build KF.

Thanks MF, it's hard squeezing all of that into one build, but I am happy with it.

Gold Street Customs said:
Just oozing coolness!!

Thanks GSC, appreciate you paving the way for the bars!

Machine Age Victim said:
I agree with the bottom of the flames, should clean it up nicely

It wasn't very easy cutting the flashing in place, but it came out well. Need to touch up the cut edges with some primer red now.

supergoob said:
This bike looks magnetic... :lol: Its just so insane that you can't help but love it, hard to believe there is an original frame under there!!

Glad to hear that cool magnet I hid in the tank is working! :D You're right about the frame and chainguard. It's all original paint (except for half of the springer fork and the fenders).

Just think, it started like this:
c3.jpg

And became this:
IMG_2400_zpsb1c09dfb.jpg

It's hard to believe that's the same bike! :shock: 8)

I know. I was even kinda shocked comparing the two photos.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star 8/1 Maiden Voyage

Took Firewing out tonight for 2+ hours on her maiden voyage. Pics to follow soon.

kingfish254 said:
Took Firewing out tonight for 2+ hours on her maiden voyage. Pics to follow soon.

I hope there are some riding shots :mrgreen:

I have one of me sitting on the bike in the riding position that I had a tourist from Ohio take. But the photos from all of the city will prove that I rode the bike.

I'll be totally honest with everyone, I was excited about the maiden voyage, but I was also afraid that the riding position would totally suck and it would be a quick ride. I was completely surprise how easy it road. It's really not much different a posture than anyone elses boardtracker builds when you compare the seat grips position. The metal nanner was actually very comfy. My gut was the biggest thing that got in the way a little leaning over to the grips. I became comfortable with the bike very quickly and multiple times stood up in the pedals to get more power off the line. Gears shifted smoothly and I got some good speed on one of the bike lane streets when I was hunting the CocaCola wall for a photo.

End result: RIDING FIREWING WAS A 2.5 HOUR TOTALLY ENJOYABLE SUCCESS. I can't tell you how releived I am. I had a blast tonight!

IMG_2504_zps4f311fc4.jpg

FIREWING - Coming to a Build Off Finish line near you.
IMG_2509_zps492d128d.jpg

The shots that I took with this dome mirror turned out pretty cool
IMG_2459_zps9e186d6a.jpg

Stopped by the Pinkie Masters Fat Tire and PBR neon signs
IMG_2438_zps549a9e6d.jpg

IMG_2439_zps806a4fb1.jpg

How cool is this!!!!!??????? My 1953 Columbia Firewing in front of our 1953 Chevy Police car!!!
IMG_2441_zpsec709937.jpg

The colors on this building look great with FW
IMG_2444_zps6abbfcd5.jpg

I'll go back to the Firewing Cola wall this weekend and move the trashcans for a better photo.
IMG_2446_zpsa98cc016.jpg

Scoped out a few more photo spots for my finals
IMG_2455_zps0a968ac0.jpg

IMG_2465_zps8cbf11c8.jpg

IMG_2466_zps23bf4a1c.jpg

IMG_2474_zps99e67b8c.jpg

Went to one of my regular spots - Checkmate!
IMG_2475_zpsc2683f81.jpg

Stopped off at World of Beer for a celebratory Harviestown Ola Dubh beer.
IMG_2477_zps3b64e646.jpg

Chatted with some Boston tourist in front of the Velvet Elvis Lounge who actually recognized my 48 Chrysler tail light because he has a 50 Dodge hot rod.
IMG_2481_zps86f835c5.jpg

IMG_2485_zps31ccbcbc.jpg

Stopped by the court house underground spotlghts for a few shots. I LOVE THIS ONE!!!
IMG_2494_zpsd38bd998.jpg

IMG_2498_zps7f2dd9fc.jpg

I found this night spot at one of the churches when I was riding Fat Fink II one night. This is where the Ohio tourists wanted to buy my bike and took some photos of my Firewing.
IMG_2499_zpsac2c662e.jpg

IMG_2501_zpsf67eac85.jpg

Two and an half hours later I was back home.
IMG_2510_zps877e09aa.jpg

IMG_2511_zps6abffcb2.jpg

Beautiful build KF....so much to take in and enjoy yet all flows perfectly together! 8)

Excellent photos as well! :D

sleepy said:
Beautiful build KF....so much to take in and enjoy yet all flows perfectly together! 8)

Excellent photos as well! :D

Thanks Sleepy, it was fun showing it off to so many tourists tonight and getting that immediate feedback.

COMING TO A THEATER NEAR YOU
aaIMG_2507_zpsb1a9e67e.jpg

Latest posts

Back