Firmstrong Chief Cruiser? Any Taller Riders tried one? 6'2+

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this is the right place for this?

Has anyone tried the Firmstrong Chief Cruiser for sizing? Any Taller Riders tried one? I"m 6'2 and soo tried of being on latter end of bikes? There isn't much on these Spec wise either? I'm assuming it's a HI-TIN frame as apposed to a full CRO-MO Frame as it's a cheap bike. Components would be changed out for sure.

I Hit the search and seems it's pretty vegg on threads for Tall dudes, even the 3G Bikes end up with a Flag-pole seat post

I have a 96' Humhumu 3-Bar in 18" and it's just to small.

Here's a link to what i'm talk'n about
https://www.firmstrong.com/products...-mens-26-beach-cruiser-bike?variant=743145903

There's none in my neck of the woods to try a Fit on one, anyone with some input would be Great!

I'm ~6'2" as well...but, never had a firmstrong, so can't really help you there. I'm not a fan of peddle forward bikes in general as my fundamental bicycling experience is on BMX bikes (up to 13years old)...and since I've been back into bikes (last 10years or so), I am generally more comfortable on those kind of bikes. If you need more power on a bmx bike, you stand up to pedal...on a pedal forward, you can't really stand up (in my experience).

If your primary experience is on road or mountain bikes...you aren't going to get the same fit on any cruiser bike, imo. I see this quite a bit...riders trying to force a cruiser to allow full leg extension, etc...as they have in their road/mtb bikes. I bought a '52 General (Monark) that the guy (~5'9") said just wouldn't fit him. Well, with the seat high enough to allow full leg extension and stock bars/stem...he was absolutely right. However, maximum performance isn't really what a cruiser is about...it is the lazy boy of the bicycle world.

Here are my Electras...18" frame, 22" top tube...and like I said, I'm 6'2" as well (depending on the time a day...a little more or a little less :grin:)...Sunny Garcia with the ultra plush seat...

78008_44ad43f6a6c17db7b80b2caa26f337ab.jpg

...and Eric Malone with the, not so padded, bmx seat...

75916_19f43dd695fc207f8ba91b4d286bd88b.jpg

These are both comfy for me...I can zip around pretty good while sitting down (7spd), but, if I need a burst...I'm standing up on the pedals.

For your Humu...my Monocog is a 19". If you really need to stretch out the cockpit to fit you, you can go with a layback seatpost (personally, I've only used laybacks on 24" or smaller bikes), longer reach stem and/or taller bars. Like I said, I'm bmx oriented...so you may not like where I went with the bars...but...(after 22mile mountain bike trail ride...swapped seats and pulled the bars back a bit before the ride)...

IMG_20180901_170833255.jpg

Previous to ride...I was stretched out pretty far sitting with my hands on the grip...

IMG_20180828_011627891.jpg

Jason

Last edited:
Oh...I could also point out that my 6'5" son-in-law rode the Schwinn HD...also an 18" frame (don't know the top tube length of the top of my head)...

IMG_20180901_170855606.jpg

The bike in the middle, GT XCR4000, has the tallest seat height and the shortest rider...my daughter at 5'10" :bigsmile:.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

Funny that you brought-up BMX and the Sunny Garcia of all bikes!? :wink1:

Was looking at a used 18" Sunny Garcia last week at a used retailer, to bad it was beat down pretty good and was $300. I also grew up on the Big BMX'ers of the day, just sold my KOS Cruiser in mucho Gold 2 years ago :eek:

Heres a PIC

Just looking into more Lay'd-Back style riding as a Carpet/Lino/Flooring guy of 10+ years and 52 the legs and knees just can't hang on long hauls anymore. Can't beat father time :(

That is one sharp looking Kos :thumbsup:

I'm not quite 52...but close enough :grin:. The pics above are from when I unloaded the bikes from our big ride on Friday. I've been popping OTC pain pills every since. Sprained thumb, abdomen all bruised up, got a large hematoma on my right lower leg during the ride...it reduced but my whole lower leg is bruised and swollen, both shoulders hurting...and a variety of other cuts lumps and bruises. Wasn't sure if I was going to make it in to work today, but I did :doh:. Aging sucks...but, I'm looking forward to the next big ride (hopefully with some suspension, and more than one gear).

Sunny and Malone will both be sporting some BMX bars down the road...I just have to decide on what to do for stems. They are very cool bikes (I didn't plan on keeping either, figured I would just flip them or strip for the wheelsets...but, they are surprisingly roomy and great riders), but...not $300 cool :grin:.

Jason

Electra also makes a taller cruiser called the Tall boy.

Electra also makes a taller cruiser called the Tall boy.
I am 6'4, those tall cruisers are not tall enough for me :D
The only bike i have found so far that fits my size unmodified is Ghostrider. Rat Fink could do as well but those extra few cm of Ghostrider comparing to RF make a difference i can quite feel.
c5d2621aa7e6998a4b621f7e2d9649f9.jpg

On all the other bikes i have to at least change the seat post to a really long one to fit. That is what i have done to Dyno frame (repop) in order to sit comfortably on it. Before i have been riding it with a banana seat on :D
31902047_1618201981630392_2601952288121552896_o.jpg

But yes, as RustyGold says, i am the one who is going for full leg extension. Those bikes are my daily transport, i do not use anything else to go around the town, and time to time even use them to go to other cities or countries. So i really need them to be super comfortable, i am not ready to put up with feeling pain in my knees after couple of hundreds kilometers a day :)

Sorry for the late response, been working 7 days a week :13:

Those Low rider style bikes are SICK! That White one is like a locomotive.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Big Chief, no input on the bike really. Been looking for Kona Stars and Bar 20" for ever!?

I just worked on a Hampton cruiser at the shop… Apparently they came in a larger than average frame as well. This one was marked 20 1/2 inches, most cruisers are 18 inchers.

I've used a laid back seat post a few times to get the right leg extension. I'm not tall with a 31" inseam but the normal 18" cruiser frame always is too small for me. Riding over the pedals is much easier than the crank forward position. I have a 20" Hawthorne frame with a piece of 5/8ths solid steel rod as a seat post, much better riding than a laid black post. I always feel like I'm working harder with a laid back position. After a few miles I can really tell the difference. The older Schwinn diamond frames had large sizes that might fill the bill. 23" and 25" frames work well and I've converted a few of the 23" ones to fat tire cruisers. If you have to have a cruiser frame, there aren't many out there that aren't 18". Worksman has a larger frame that I think is 20", but it's steel. What would probably be just right is an aluminum 22" cruiser style frame.
41706552_738019039876734_4277847934315266048_n.jpg

250qmqd.jpg

168752_10150097307226737_2002242_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back