First bite of a Burrito (riding pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted to try a Burrito build for some time now. I had a tandem frame that I figured would be a good base,a cantilever frame as a donor as well as a middleweight frame.My brother is my welder so this last Saturday I went to his house and we started cutting ,grinding and welding. I forgot to take my camera,but he took a couple of pics once we got it together. We had no jigs, no flat surfaces just a couple of 2x4s that we clamped at the bottom brackets.After it was all done I am happy to say that it is straight as an arrow.The two bottom brackets from the tandem will be covered with some type of sheetmetal.I wont know until after I mock it up if it will get triple trees or regular forks.I have a set of CW knee action forks I may use. Bars will be another choice to be made later.I am partial to apes,but if I have to tilt them down to reach I wont use them.The seat maybe will be a bananna w/ a crutch as a sissy bar,if it works out. Originally I was going to run a 24"x3'' on the rear since I already have that setup.I decided that since this was my first build of this type I wanted to make sure it was structuraly sound and chose not to widen the rear end. I already have ordered some red tires for it instead, 26"x2.125
I am not sure of a color yet,maybe black and gray or brown and ?????
The two little bars sticking up near the chainstays were left like that until I see what the seat will be, they will be welded for support later.
Here it is before I put the stripper on it.
burrito003.jpg

burrito001.jpg

Re: First bite of a Burrito (mock up pics)

Hmmm,trial and error. :lol: Can't reach the pedals,need to weld extensions on handlebars about 8". This weekend I want to lower the rear down to where it is level. The front bottom bracket will need to be repositioned,(crank scrapes the ground now)and it looks like the bananna seat won't work either.
Total length now is right at 8'

burrito005.jpg

burrito004.jpg

lookin good. put some blinky lites in the unused bb. if ya can.

Outlaw

Those cranks look to be at about 7 inches. Before you move the BB, try "shorter" cranks, it will help you reach the pedals and may eliminate the problem of scraping...........Worth a try!..........Bike is looking very COOL!

you could level out the frame by cutting a notch in the lower part of the frame with a 4" grinder and then bend the frame up and reweld. Then if you need it lower, do it again about a 1/2 inch toward the rear wheel form the original cut until you get the frame low enough.

Well we got the bike sitting level,about 4" off the ground. The crank was re attached at the proper height and distance.(yes it will stand up with the pedal).There are two small bars in the back that we decided should be cut out and ran straight.Other than that all the fabricating is done except extending the bars.I painted the rims yesterday, black and my red tires came in as well.Hopefully midweek I should be able to get some primer on it.As it sits now it measures 8' 3". This bike has caused lots of burns. When bending metal with torch assume all metal is hot,lol :lol: Plus my bro cut his finger pretty good with a 8" grinding wheel.This is such a fun build,I am having a great time. :wink:
burrito007.jpg

Showing off battle scars.
burrito008.jpg

good job boys. i like em Burritos

Outlaw

tikiharl said:
This bike has caused lots of burns. When bending metal with torch assume all metal is hot,lol :lol: Plus my bro cut his finger pretty good with a 8" grinding wheel.
Maybe you're not consuming enough of that beer while building :lol:

Looks great now that you got it all worked out.

That is looking very WICKED! 8) If only I could weld! :roll:

Looks great, I would like to build one up someday. Need a welder first. Its nice to see someone gets there inspiration the same way I do, liquid form. Nothing makes working on bikes more fun then being a few beers deep, lol.

Re: First bite of a Burrito (Maiden Voyage)

So I got my new wheels on as well as the springer fork. Welding is finished,the welds just need cleaned up a bit. Added some extended bars,they are comfortable at that width, 36".They need about 4 " more on the drawback so I dont have to lean forward.I actually took it out for a ride today,it really is comfortable. There is still some tweeking to do yet and the seat needs replaced. The seat will be covered w/ mexican blanket. The chain measures in at 102" :shock: I am thinking I will have it painted and riding it by next weekend.

burrito010.jpg

burrito012.jpg

NICE JOB!.......Try some MTB bar clip ons (I think that's what they're called) at the end of the bars.......Might give ya a different hand position. Can't wait to see it painted.

yep, reverse the stem. that burrito is sic. great job.

Outlaw

Man that is sick! :D I wouldn't paint it, it looks so good as is.

Latest posts

Back