First build off Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI Everyone!

This is my first build off. I found a Worksman frame and fork when I was looking for some parts for my other cruiser. I haven't built a bike in years from the frame up.

I bought most of the parts new, so it won't really be a rat rod.

I forgot to take photos yesterday when I built the wheels, and started playing around with headset. The set I have is a little loose. I'll be searching on here for the best fix for it.

8bHPJn2.jpg

This is going to be cool! Love those frames for a Klunker or Strandie...

By the way Klunker is usually spelled with a K not a C, and more road orientated builds without off road sort of tires are usually classified as Strandies or Bombers.
Strandies for cruising the boardwalks and bombers for bombing around town...

Or at least that is how I understand it. :39:

By the way Klunker is usually spelled with a K not a C, and more road orientated builds without off road sort of tires are usually classified as Strandies or Bombers.

THANK YOU Luke!! I have been wondering for 5 years what a “strandie” and “bomber” was, but I was too embarrassed to ask.

Btw, that is a sweet frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im such a noob. Thanks for the clarification. This will be a Bomber then.

IIRC, the Worksman frames take an odd sized headset... (one unique to them and not one of the many typical “standards.”) You might have to look for a Worksman-specific one.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

IIRC, the Worksman frames take an odd sized headset... (one unique to them and not one of the many typical “standards.”) You might have to look for a Worksman-specific one.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

You are right its .2 mm larger. I am going to use strip of beer can and some loctite bearing retainer so it will be pretty solid.

I would go with the Wald headset, but I want mine to be black.

You are right its .2 mm larger. I am going to use strip of beer can and some loctite bearing retainer so it will be pretty solid.

I would go with the Wald headset, but I want mine to be black.

I’ve used that lock tight two part epoxy on parts like that and it worked great .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great start! I too love a worksman frame!

and my .02 on the subject-

Klunker - Early incarnation of what would become a mountain bike. A 'cruiser' frame (they typically preferred prewar frames at the time, although postwar was also used) these builds usually included moto parts, IE bars, brake levers and cables. Drum brakes were desired but not had by all. And most importantly, Gears. old ten speeds were stripped for their cranks and freewheels and derailuers and shifters. Mods like solid seatpost also were pretty norm.
Bomber- Single speed 'Klunker'. No gears for goin up, but you could 'bomb' down the hill.
Strandie- In the late 70s-early 80s, it was the trend to trick out your cruiser to ride along the strand in California (well, mostly CA). These cruisers were bmx influenced, and had alloy parts from the day. A lot of BMX companies made cruisers and cruiser parts at this time - Cook Bros, Laguna, S&S, Bassett, CW, etc. Usual components include a tubular bmx style fork, alloy stem and wheels, etc. And a lot of times, anodized colors on said parts.

clunkers.net has a lot of good info on the first two.

I really like the shape of those rims you've got on there. What are they?

Great start! I too love a worksman frame!

and my .02 on the subject-

Klunker - Early incarnation of what would become a mountain bike. A 'cruiser' frame (they typically preferred prewar frames at the time, although postwar was also used) these builds usually included moto parts, IE bars, brake levers and cables. Drum brakes were desired but not had by all. And most importantly, Gears. old ten speeds were stripped for their cranks and freewheels and derailuers and shifters. Mods like solid seatpost also were pretty norm.
Bomber- Single speed 'Klunker'. No gears for goin up, but you could 'bomb' down the hill.
Strandie- In the late 70s-early 80s, it was the trend to trick out your cruiser to ride along the strand in California (well, mostly CA). These cruisers were bmx influenced, and had alloy parts from the day. A lot of BMX companies made cruisers and cruiser parts at this time - Cook Bros, Laguna, S&S, Bassett, CW, etc. Usual components include a tubular bmx style fork, alloy stem and wheels, etc. And a lot of times, anodized colors on said parts.

clunkers.net has a lot of good info on the first two.

I really like the shape of those rims you've got on there. What are they?

Thanks for the info!

I love the BMX components. Pretty much everything I have bought for the bike is BMX. Its mostly for just riding around the neighborhood.

The rims are Sun Ringle MTX-33's with the stickers taken off. The tires are Duro beach bums that I took off my Soul beach cruiser.

I like the idea of a solid seatpost for this bike and my other cruiser, but I don't see many for sale. I will have to find someone that can bend the metal, or buy a torch head and some mapp gas and see if I can do it myself.

Welcome to the build off! Your klunker / bomber / big bmx build is in good company. We had an ORB (Off Road Build-off) a couple winters back, and it resulted in a brand new forum category because of it's popularity. Here are a couple of links to the build off, and the category. It's always fun to check out what others have done when processing a build. RaT oN~!

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?forums/klunkers-mountain-bikes.59/

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?forums/orbo-2016-finished-bikes.126/

Welcome to the build off! Your klunker / bomber / big bmx build is in good company. We had an ORB (Off Road Build-off) a couple winters back, and it resulted in a brand new forum category because of it's popularity. Here are a couple of links to the build off, and the category. It's always fun to check out what others have done when processing a build. RaT oN~!

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?forums/klunkers-mountain-bikes.59/

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?forums/orbo-2016-finished-bikes.126/

Thank you! There are some great looking bikes on those threads!

Beautiful paint choice!
Thanks! I saw a Huffy cranbrook online that was about that color. I just wanted to build a better version of it.

I shimmed the headset and used the loctite to make sure it all stays in place this morning. I should be able to build and ride it tomorrow. Then I just need to figure out the solid seat post. Not sure if I should spend the money and try myself, or find a fab shop that would do it for a good price.

1c8f89b5-6951-463a-9bd3-a2679e014872_1.d65f5da36fb4efa07274799cec4ecdd3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back