First road race ever today!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I participated in my first road race today. It was 90 miles around a local lake. Started at 6:10am and finished 10:52am (4h42min). I surprised myself since I'm not some hardcore road bike rider. I commute to work as much as possible with is 20 miles round trip but going from basically 10 miles in one shot to 90 was a bit intimidating. But it was something I always wanted to do since I got out of the Air Force about ten years ago. They had like three pro teams along with Robbie Ventura who was a pretty big part of the Tour De France commentating for Versus this past year. He placed third for the entire race. There was like a $30K purse for winners. Going from riding cruisers to fixed gear and then just trading my motorcycle(1976 Suzuki GT550) for a 2009 Giant OCR1 two months ago. Roughly 1200 riders and I finished somewhere between 670-680. Sometimes you surprise yourself on what your really capable of when you really push for something.

That's pretty close to a 20 mph average. I'd be lucky to average 10! Congrats!

That's super fast. I rode a century with 4,300 ft of climbing in 7:54 yesterday. If I do it again, 6:30 will be the goal. 4:42 would require some serious training for my fatness.

They just listed up the results finally online. Finished 721 out of 1331 with an average of 18.8. On a side note. I can't tell if my Brooks Professional seat felt good or if my butt just went numb and couldn't feel how hard it was. lol. It was a blast though. I hope one more race comes up before the season is done.

Latest posts

Back