fittin a 26x3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a 26x3 kenda flame today from bicyclerick. and heres my problem, it wont fit. lol it rubs on the top two bars and the bottom two bars.(1979 schwinn heavy duty frame on schwinn heavy duty wheels) how can i get it to fit properly? i need to get this done quickly cuz this bike is goin in a show this coming weekend and this is the last thing before paint! any help would be appreciated.

Easy E

Do you have the tire and wheel all the way back? Depending on how much interference you have, you might need to spread the frame open. You can put an extra set of nuts on the axle before you put the wheel onto the bike, they will work as spacers. Dean

the tire and wheel are all the way back in the dropouts and i have to have the tire deflated before i can put it in! i didnt realize how freakin big these tires are! ill check the stickies on how to fit the 24x3 and see if it works for me. if not the i guess ill have to try big fats spacers idea. anybody else got some ideas?

Easy E

I tried to start my Military bike with a late 70's Heavy Duty. A 24x 3 doesnt even fit without modification. I ended using a ballooner frame for the 24x3 on the rear. I did use a 26x3 on the front.

randy i checked thru dangratsdan's posts and could find anything about the dropout extenders! ive tried freakin everything to get this dang thing to fit! i put extra nuts on the axles for spacers. ive layed the frame on the ground and pulled the rear stays apart and still nothin! the freakin tire rubs like a son of a gun! ive gotta get this tire to fit!! i need some serious help fellas! somebody out there has to have some answers!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
randy i checked thru dangratsdan's posts and could find anything about the dropout extenders!

The bike he did this to is actually in KC now. Was won by Lance of the Spokesman at our 2007 bike fest. Hopefully Dan will chime in and give details.
Here's a pic you can just barely see them...
Picture008.jpg

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FREAKIN PLACE!!!! dean i greatly appreciate the offer man but rick shop is a little bit closer to me than sedalia! lol but again thanks so much for the offer.

Rick, ill definately be swingin by monday with the bike and frame and well get er in there!

i even took the time to cut the fender mount on the top of the rear stays! and that sucker still wont fit. ill bring it monday rick and hopefully we can get that son of a gun in there!

Easy E

I know this is an old post, I'm curious if you got the tire to fit. Lets see some pics! HAHA :lol: I have the same problem, I want to fit the 26 x 3 inch on mine.....same problem. I haven't messed around with it much though.

nope never did really get it to fit perfectly. but it fit good enough to let the bike sit at a car show! ill be fabricating some dropout extenders soon once i go over to Lances house and make template off the ones hes got.

Easy E

If a 24 x 3 tire matches a 26" diameter, wouldn't a 26 x 3 come out to be 28" ?

This is a late one too, but try putting the tire on a standard rim. The heavy duty rims are usually a little wider than standard rims. If you put a wider tire on a thinner rim, it tends to round up in shape. If you put that same tire on a wider rim it has the room to spread out wider horizontally.

I discovered this by putting standard tires on a heavy duty rim and noticing those same tires didn't fit anymore. I had 2.25" tires and standard rims on a '74 Schwinn Speedster. The tires went on the rims and into the frame just fine. I rode the bike for about 100 miles, and even had a couple of thugs try to bike-jack me on it. Later I bought some (non-Schwinn brand) heavy duty rims and put the same 2.25" tires on it that were on it before. These rims were much wider than the standard rims. After inflating the 2.25" tires they rubbed the frame like crazy. Then I tried 2.10" tires with heavy duty rims. They still rubbed the frame. I ended up with 1.95" tires on the heavy duty rims, and to be honest, they look just like the 2.25" tires on standard rims, except this time they didn't rub the frame, but just barely.

Try a thinner tire on a HD rim, you should end up with the same look.

Yea, I would assume so... I was in the garage today after reading this post messing around trying to fit my dads 26 x 3 inch flame tire off his shark fire bike... Man, that's a HUGE tire! Hahaha needless to say it didn't fit but it sure did come close. It seriously is a wide tread tire, I wonder if a different 3 inch wide tire wouldn't have such a lip to it? If so, I just might be able to finally fit one on. Oh well, I'm glad I have tomorrow off work and I can go cruise around in the morning by the beach and come home after and try working on fitting that tire on some more. Put a little more effort into it... :roll: LOL

Latest posts

Back