five speed derailer help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i put my slingshot together. when i shift it with the five fpeed stick shifter, the chain fals off of the sprocket and my chain jambs. on the derailer, the chain rests only on the back sprocket. i dont want to take it to the bike shop partly cause then i would feel dumb and because they woulld replace all my vintage parts! any help please? :(

There are two adjustment screws on the derailleur. One adjusts to prevent the chain from going too far inward and the other adjusts to prevent the chain from going too far outward when shifting.

If you don't have a work stand to put the bike in.. get someone to help you..
first put your shifter in 3rd gear.
make sure your in the 3rd gear on the wheel,
adjust your cable untill the deraillure is inline with the 3rd gear.
then have you helper shift your bike into 5th gear while you watch the deraillure and make sure it goes down to the bottom gear and the derailure is lined up with 5th gear.
if not turn the screw in or out untill it's centered.
then have your help shift it up untill you get into 1st gear while you watch the deraillure make sure it goes into 1st gear and the derailure is in line. if not adjust the other screw untill it is. if your derailure doesn't seem to move smoothly then you may need to clean it.. and if you have never done it before then take it to someone who has.. lots of small parts in them that will get lost if you don't know what your doing..

If it's falling off the front, you may have a chain length issue, or the third screw (I forget what it's called, and you may not even have one :roll: ) may need fiddlin'.

what about the fact that the chain is only on one or the derailur wheels and dosnt even go through the derailur? :|

Yes, the chain must be right first. Get a chain tool. Look in the road and mtb sections to see how your chain should look . It must go under the bottom guide wheel, then between the 2 of them, long enough not to bind in first gear (inner/biggest sprocket).

Latest posts

Back