Fixed Gears Are Dumb! The Story Of My 1981 Voyageur

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really should put a couple dabs of glue on this decal
14D9A6D6-B093-4800-89CF-5F58056C0B6E.jpeg

And I’m responsible for f*ing this up on the workstand at our old apartment. D’oh!
F0B86D69-85EE-49E9-A79C-F84476E0E369.jpeg

I have nothing against fixies (its not my thing but it is a part of cycling history - important part.
I just dont like people who ride fixie just to ride fixie - cause its trendy or its part or their hipster outfit. People who dont like it, think that its uncomfortable but will ride it anyway with big smile sticked to their faces, people who then will treat other cyclists as they are something much lower in cycling ladder, people who think they are true and better cyclists as they riding fixie and other cyclists (specially ebikes) should move out of their way... I dont like the way fixie became something to show off and expensive...
I read your posts with great joy. see passion about your bike - I like that.

I built a fixie because of the hype. Once I started riding I found I do really enjoy it and ended up looking for a better frame to build up, then improved the parts as well. Something simple, connected about riding a fixie. It’s quiet and smooth and fast too. I was also surprised how consistent it made my commuting times, you need to get to the right cadence and stay there which means a consistent speed. Sure, it doesn’t suit all conditions, but for the right route it is great.

This is my second build, unknown frame, but possibly a quality custom build. Custom built wheel set and a mix of other bits
4FEE168E-D43F-4581-80CD-F74428233CD6.jpeg

I build one fixie as well. I had a nice old road bike I was trying to sell for few weeks... then I made a fixie wheel. stripped bike from everything and sold it just next day... for twice the price of road bike I had...

Last edited:
I like your sense of style, GTV. I too enjoy the clean, spartan look in my bikes. I like the "art" of bikes, and its apparent that you like it as well. Nice builds.

I like your sense of style, GTV. I too enjoy the clean, spartan look in my bikes. I like the "art" of bikes, and its apparent that you like it as well. Nice builds.

Thanks! I enjoy art in everything :)

Wonderful attention to detail! That chain treatment is inspiring. May I copy your idea?

By all means, yes. Ideas are better when shared.

Find fixie hub that have thread on both sides and make fixed ring on one side and freewheel on the other. if you get tired with pedaling you can always flip the wheel to make single speed.

I'm going to try one of bikes as a fixie...but, I don't plan on liking it (even if I do survive the experience) :grin:.

Your Voyageur is super cool, and I've enjoyed the story!
Jason

Thanks man!
When looking for a frame to do a fixed geared conversion make sure you use something with horizontal dropouts so you can tension the chain properly. Vertical dropouts won't allow that unless you have an eccentric BB but I really don't know anything about that... Not necessary but nice to look at are the short chain-stays.
Learning to ride fixed properly takes some time. Until then it will be hard on your knees. Once you get it, it isn't any harder on your body than any other bike, you'll just burn a lot more calories. Skidding the rear tire is the first necessary skill to have to ride fixed, and it takes some time to master. My riser bars don't make it super easy to stop (skid) the rear tire, bullhorns make it much easier because you can put more of your body weight over the front wheel. Anyway, food for thought!

I already have the bike set up...its a SE PK Ripper like so...

dcxpk-fixed-gear-side-view-silver-lowres.jpg

...I just have to dig it out of the 'vault', get some new tires on it, strip off all the dumb stickers the previous owner put on it...order a cog, say a few 'hail marys' and off I go!

Jason

Nice! Rear facing dropouts are even better. Put some chain tensioners on there and you're good to go.
Looks like it might have some room for good sized rubber. How many teeth on the chain ring? Gearing is crucial for enjoyment and tire life.

Don't forget some foot retention. Either straps or clips. It isn't fun trying to get your feet back on the pedals when they are still spinning and the nature of fixed wheel is that until you 'learn' how it works you are likely to get the odd buck when you try and coast.

Nice! Rear facing dropouts are even better. Put some chain tensioners on there and you're good to go.
Looks like it might have some room for good sized rubber. How many teeth on the chain ring? Gearing is crucial for enjoyment and tire life.
Already has chain tensioners...I'm going to go with the biggest thickslicks I can stuff between the rear triangle (or fatboys if I need something between 28mm and 1.9"). Chain ring is 46T, I believe (17T freewheel currently)...suggestions for the rear cog? :)

Don't forget some foot retention. Either straps or clips. It isn't fun trying to get your feet back on the pedals when they are still spinning and the nature of fixed wheel is that until you 'learn' how it works you are likely to get the odd buck when you try and coast.
Yikes...I disdain the very concept of strapping in. I guess that is what the 'hail marys' are for :blackeye:

Jason

Do not build and use your first fixie without brakes (normal lever operated) - both brakes front and back. experienced rider can stop with no brakes other than pedals but as first timer you need both brakes. I know that aesthetic of bike may suffer - you can remove them later on (check as well rules in your area sometimes regulations of bicycles required to have bike equipped with two brakes)

Sometime ago I got an idea of use disk brake on the actual chainring to help out with breaking in proper fixie way - using pedals. Maybe someday someone will do it?

Straps or clips - I would suggest to set them very loose on beginning so you can easily remove your feet when needed.

I have fronts and rears already...this is just an experience, I don't plan on liking it :shake:. Most likely won't stay fixie any longer than it takes for me to feel more-or-less comfortable riding that way...and then back to single speed before natural selection has enough time to play a role (do not want to end up as a Darwin Award recipient :confused:).

Jason

edit...
chain ring brake...
http://monkeylikeshiny.blogspot.com/2010/01/sprocket-brake-for-your-fixie.html
This would make more sense, to separate chain lube from your braking surface...
Spirit_R09_w_Rotor_NoShadow.jpg

That crank brake is a cool idea (I guess?) but I wouldn’t use that in place of a front brake.

Foot retention is essential. Toe clips/straps are a pain in the ... (and much cheaper) but probably better for a beginner than clipping in. I love my pedals now, I’ll never go back. The power transfer is off the charts compared to my old straps.
Your freewheel is most likely a 16t. I’d use a 17t for the fixed cog. Unless you are going to run really big tires and/or live in a very hilly area, then maybe a 19.

Latest posts

Back