Flying Phantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this 1961 AMF Roadmaster Flying Falcon 3 speed coaster brake, off of Craigslist from the original owner who got it on his 10th birthday. After countless moves and 45 years later, he didn't want to move it again. Luckily I was the first to respond after he listed it and picked it up just a few hours later.

Ok. Let's see it! Welcome to the Jungle!! Get Ta Buildin'!! Peace

Great find and story.
So are you entering it into the build off?
Let's see it and tell us what your plans are for it.

Pharcyderide said:
here it is!

I don't see it??????

henry-pins-the-tail-on-the-bunny.jpg

After airing the dry rotted tires and a quick ride through the neighborhood, it was time to dismantle for sandblasting, powder coating and polishing.
IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg

on to powder coating

IMAG0485.jpg

hanging in the oven for preheating

IMAG0484.jpg

spray booth ready for color

IMAG0486.jpg

baking

IMAG0487.jpg

20 minutes later and ready to cool

IMAG0491.jpg

Actually I don't own the tools to do all the work for powder coating..... Ever hear of http://www.techshop.ws/ ? Its a member based workshop that provides all the tools one would ever need for any project imaginable. They haven't reached every state yet, but they are growing. If not, look locally, many of these shops are popping up all over.

assembly time!

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

I just couldn't wait for the new tires and chain. Everything is polished aside from the rear wheel

the only parts not original are the tires, N.O.S. AMF trip odometer on the front fork, and the chain! everything else....... 51 years young!

IMAG0710.jpg

2 Detroit Critical Mass rides later, and the Phantom is getting tons of smiles and attention, that is the true victory!

Pharcyderide said:
Actually I don't own the tools to do all the work for powder coating..... Ever hear of http://www.techshop.ws/ ? Its a member based workshop that provides all the tools one would ever need for any project imaginable. They haven't reached every state yet, but they are growing. If not, look locally, many of these shops are popping up all over.

That is awesome, I'd love to see something come into this area. When I was in the Navy I spent lots of time at the auto hobby shop (similiar idea for military guys) and I've always wondered why no one started a business like that in the civilian world.

Your bike is looking great! Rg

Latest posts

Back