(For people who work at a a bike shop) Stupid and dangerous things on customer's bikes.

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom bracket... tearing into someones father/son project and discovering that they used cups and lockring from an adjustable bb on a Shimano UN sealed bottom bracket. You’d think that it would be impossible to tighten the cups down due to lack of room in the BB shell... you would be wrong... they used so much force to tighten the cups the outer races were torn off the bearings.... anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right?!
What kind of bike was this if it was a "father and son" project? Details about the bike!

Aug 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bike was this if it was a "father and son" project? Details about the bike!
Just an old mongoose full suspension that they pulled apart, rattle canned, and attempted to put it back together... I forgot that they also installed the lower headset bearing upside down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grant
Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a license for bike tools.
Yes, and for stupid ideas. I remember a guy who came to my shop with this:

And his idea was to make a "city bike" from it. As he described it "You know, wider tires, normal steering bar etc.". When I told him stupid would be converting a 250$ bike, cause for 200$ he could actually buy a whole "city bike", so what was the purpose fo buying this piece of c...p in the first place? :21:

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and for stupid ideas. I remember a guy who came to my shop with this:

And his idea was to make a "city bike" from it. As he described it "You know, wider tires, normal steering bar etc.". When I told him stupid would be converting a 250$ bike, cause for 200$ he could actually buy a whole "city bike", so what was the purpose fo buying this piece of c...p in the first place? :21:
Btwin is fake Schwinn?

Reactions: SpikeFC
Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btwin is fake Schwinn?
Kinda. In Poland we have a chain of sports supermarkets called Decathlon. The place that is mostly filled with things of their own brands that are super cheap and of very poor quality. They also produce bicycles under their own brands wich are:

Btwin
Rockrider
Decathlon
Railway

All of the bikes are of super lousy quality, even the pricey ones (in most cases they only have Shimano/Sram deraillreurs & shifters, other parts of cheapest brands)

Fun fact - When I count bicycles by their makers, to see wich are the most popular bikes that come to my workshop I count all of those brands as just "Decathlon".

Anticipating the questions - The most popular brands in my workshop are:

Kross - Polish, company that basically replaced the Romet brand (and ressurected it awhile ago)
"Decathlon" - for obvious reasons...
Kellys - Slovakian, we actually even sell those.

And the least popular are:

Huffy - only two of those were repaired, a cruiser & MTB from the 90's.
Schwinn - also only two, kinda modern ones.
Mongoose - Only one oldschool MTB.
ZZR - Polish, earlier name of the Romet company. Only one bicycle, but from 1967.

And when it comes to what's the oldest thing that came to my workshop (besides my bikes) - It was an early 1950's Mifa or Move (i don't remember, basically a GDR brand)

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pictures but the one I see often is the blown out suspension fork or rear shock with a bolt put in it to hold it up. People have asked me to drill out old forks and do this more than once.
I saw a picture of that done on a brand new Fox rear shock.