Found 1950's Straight Bar Frame

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by GarveyJ, May 22, 2018.

1. GarveyJ

GarveyJ

I'm a newbie and I am looking for a Panther straight bar frame and came across this one for $50. The serial number dates it back to 1950 but not sure what the model was. Do all the models that have a straight bar frame from 1950's use the same frame? Looks like a good find but just wondering if parts I pick up for a 1950's Panther would fit on this frame if is was not originally a Panther. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Wildcat

Wildcat

If it's a 1950 model (serial number on the bb?) Then it could be one of 3 models, Panther, D19 or D12. It looks like the same frame, Schwinn and others didn't usually make a different frame for similar models back then. So the parts should all interchange Here's the 1950 catalog:
    [​IMG]

https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1950.html

RustyGold likes this.
  3. rrtbike

rrtbike

$50 for a straight bar skiptooth?!?!? :eek:
    WOW! You sir got a smoking deal. Welcome to RatRodBikes.

4. macncheese

macncheese

Welcome aboard. I tried to buy that on craigslist yesterday but I guess you beat me to it!

Corykip likes this.
  5. GarveyJ

GarveyJ

Slipped through my fingers, made the mistake of asking a question instead of making an immediate offer and someone else got it, lesson learned - strike quickly.

Corykip, RustyGold and A.S.BOLTNUT like this.
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat

Looks like the forks have a slight bend, but an easy fix.

If there is original paint under the blue, you may be able to ID the model. The Panther had a 2 tone paint job, while the other 2 models had the scroll type trim, white on the front of the frame.

Corykip likes this.
  7. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

Schwinn serials were stamped on the BB until part way through '52, when they moved to the rear dropout. There was also a middleweight straight bar frame. The rear frame stays are narrower than a ballooner.
    -Adam

RustyGold likes this.