Found 1950's Straight Bar Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie and I am looking for a Panther straight bar frame and came across this one for $50. The serial number dates it back to 1950 but not sure what the model was. Do all the models that have a straight bar frame from 1950's use the same frame? Looks like a good find but just wondering if parts I pick up for a 1950's Panther would fit on this frame if is was not originally a Panther. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

00y0y_41nVIiZLv0R_600x450.jpg

If it's a 1950 model (serial number on the bb?) Then it could be one of 3 models, Panther, D19 or D12. It looks like the same frame, Schwinn and others didn't usually make a different frame for similar models back then. So the parts should all interchange Here's the 1950 catalog:
1950_schwinn_panther.jpg

https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1950.html

Looks like the forks have a slight bend, but an easy fix.

If there is original paint under the blue, you may be able to ID the model. The Panther had a 2 tone paint job, while the other 2 models had the scroll type trim, white on the front of the frame.

Schwinn serials were stamped on the BB until part way through '52, when they moved to the rear dropout. There was also a middleweight straight bar frame. The rear frame stays are narrower than a ballooner.
-Adam

Latest posts

Back