Found a bike, what should I do?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's the skinny. Someone dumped a bike in my front yard, in my bushes. It's a 24" Trek Antelope 820 that has seen better days, but could be made serviceable. My question is, what should I do? Should I tell the police about the dumped bike, or should I just use it for parts? Somebody dumped a bike in the same spot previously (coincidence?) and we heard some noises that the neighbor and I thought was a prowler between our houses. We called the cops and they showed up, tossed the bike in their truck with a roll of their eyes :roll: , and drove off, never even looking for the possible prowler. I am hesitant to call even the non emergency line because of how the cops acted last time. They obviously do not care about bikes, or prowlers who drop them. Anyway, do I keep it, or let the cops take it and just auction, scrap it later? Oh, and the frame is chromoly if that makes any difference. HA!

That's kind of what I was thinking to do. It kind of looks like some crackhead abandoned it. The front quick release was loose, the brakes were all unhooked, back tire was flat, grips all torn up and there is orange paint on the handlebars and seat. I don't think this was some kids prized bike, but at the same time I don't want to take possession of someones bike that they may need. Maybe i am over thinking it...

You are over thinking it.

If it makes you feel better, post an ad on craigslist saying you found a lost bike. (found puppy type ad)

Print a few flyers and tack them around the neighborhood, and at wal-mart. (found puppy type ad)

After a week if no one comes to claim it part it out, and get on with the hobby. It sounds like junk anyway.

People on this board get known for their hobby and find bikes dropped off for them all the time with no explaination.

The cops are aware the literally millions and millions of bikes have been made and sold, and that people treat them like throw away trash now days. They have better things to do, don't waste their time.

If someone claims it, be a good guy and help them load it up.

Latest posts

Back