Found a Hutch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2016-09-23 15.39.58.png

20160923_155208.jpg

20160923_140625.jpg

20160923_140902.jpg

From what I can tell 82-83 Pro Racer. Careful paint stripping coming up - see what the chrome looks like. The rattle can paint is flaking off.

Pretty nice find.
Were there any other parts besides what's pictured?

Based on the smoothness of the paint job I'm going to say that chrome is in really good shape. Buried treasure.
Joe

Bought another box of parts, haven't sorted them yet, haro cranks, the rest looks like low end later mongoose stuff.

Got a dyno VFR frame and fork as well, '97 from what I can tell in the pics, painted, not a chromoly frame.

But no other hutch stuff.

Forks for the Hutch are missing

I don't want to put the money into it to do a proper all Hutch rebuild.
Thinking a Hutch clunker, all mid 80's race parts, all worn, but polished up, like the guy just kept racing it, and only replaced what needed it. It'll take some time to find the old parts I need.

Forks are my biggest need, maybe old SE or Redline.

Definately high flange hubs, araya 7 or similar rim, probably 1 pc cranks maybe alum sugino or similar. Tuff neck, CW bars.

I could have it riding in a day with midschool GT and Dyno parts, I may do that, but doesn't seem quite right.

Found some NOS odyssey excalibur cranks, then found out they didn't start til '86. Darn. Found some NOS sugino 3 pc, too much.
Trying to dig up older stuff without spending much, I'm OK with beat up but serviceable parts, I can polish it. Worn would fit the frame /build.

1 1/8" fork conversion and carbon cranks would be interesting. Just thinking out loud, this is a backburner build.

Forgot about this thread, kinda forgot about the frame. Its waxed and wrapped in rosin paper hanging in the attic. Top tube on this is short for me. Not sure if ill ever build it.

May throw it on ebay.

That is definitely the problem with the old school frames...they are too short for most adult-ish size peeps. That is why I have more or less decided no 20" frames for me...though, there are a couple I'd still get if a great deal came along...just as wall hangers.

Jason

21" top tube with 8.5" to 9" bar works great for me at 5'11".
Agree, None of the old school stuff is that long of a frame. Gotta get into late 90's and younger.

This Hutch would just sit around if I built it. I love looptails though.

Last edited:
Even though it is sold, you had a Taiwan Hutch as seen in your photos. The Taiwan pro Racers are known as the unknown Taiwan Hutch. I don't know why this is but they are.
To tell the three apart is somewhat easy.
US and Japanese frames have "drilled" Vent holes in the rear ends looptail, in front of the dropout. Taiwanese frames have "stamped out" vent holes as seen in your pictures. The seat mast the is raised from the top tube is also a give away for the Taiwan Hutch as it is a wee bitt longer/taller than USA, and Japan versions.
One other thing the serial numbering has nothing to do with anything as the drop outs were randomly used on any frame USA or Japan, some USA frames have the little baseball logo that was for the Japan manufacturing plant.
When I raced BMX, I raced on you guessed it, HUTCH, and SE Racing PK Rippers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back