Found- early 80's mongoose BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It looks complete and pretty perfect- yellow skyways w/matching OG tires, full pad set, pretty clean.
They're asking 100. What would i be able to flip it for? (Its nothing i would keep)

Re: Found- '80's minty mongoose BMX

Depends on how old it is...if it's mid to early 80s then probably at least $300.

its got the circle gusset behind the headset, and tange forks, if that helps. the bottoms of the forks look like the ends are crimped, not the cut and welded pieces. does that make sense?
Also, i think the Stem was a double clamp one...
Pretty broke right now, so trying to convince the Mrs, its a good "investment"... :lol:

This one is real similar, except the one i found is not nickle plated, it has the normal "snowflake" mongoose sprocket and not all the crazy gold ano stuff... but, the fork is the right type and teh frame style matches.
bf61_1.JPG

Hmmm...sounds like early 80s maybe.

All the crazy gold stuff is usually where the money is...ha ha.

If it's mint enough and complete it's probably worth at least $200.

Sure hard to tell though without seeing photos.

well, i looked into it a but, i think its a 79 or 80. im gonna pass for now... sigh

Well, after talking about it ALL day long, this evening my awesome wife was like "lets drive past the hose, and see if they/the bike is still there, if they give you a deal you can get it."

well, look what's in my back yard :D
2768544793_d232ca3a7b.jpg

Its not quite as minty as originally thought but nice, and needs a really good cleaning, i thought it was painted but it really is nickle plated just REALLY oxidized (how should I clean that) But its complete and original right down to the tires...

More pics soon...

Stem
2768619317_b3bbe4c402_m.jpg

OG Grips
2768619323_c8db1bfd17_m.jpg

2768619325_1a55a2a998_m.jpg

2768619309_53e74a899d_m.jpg

2768619303_9352139c73_m.jpg

From my research, i figured its an '81
Now, i gotta get this thing CLEANED UP!!!!!

did I do good?

Just going by the decals it is an '81 or '82. The ser# will tell for sure. Yellow Tuff 1s are worth what you payed for the whole thing. Nice score

oldschoolcolo said:
Buy it, part it and you'll make some bucks. The double clamp stems are worth 100+ by themselves.

That stem ISN'T the coveted GOLD STEM made by BMX Prod.

jjvh66 said:
Just going by the decals it is an '81 or '82. The ser# will tell for sure. Yellow Tuff 1s are worth what you payed for the whole thing. Nice score

Yeah, its F1xxxxxxx, so from my understanding thats June '81
Thanks for the kind words. Still deciding what I want to do with it. I did notice yesterday that its got a Shotgun1 seat too. Is there anyplace I should check on the bars/stem to see if they are anything unusual?

I'd Clean it up, and keep it.
You won't make a lot parting it out ( maybe the Tuff's will fetch loot )
BUT, it is worth way more as a true survivor Early Goose.

That is not a Double stem....as JJ said, it's not a BMX Products Gold stem.
But it is period for the Bike.

Mongoose's are the Staple of BMX mass production History.
Their where A LOT in the early day, and their still are a lot.

This one is worth more being Nickle.
The forks ( as you say are Piched )
Those are Tange TX1200 Champion forks.
They are standard issue on most early Mongooses...and they are great forks.

I woiuld jsut give it a Mild wash, and keep it, or sell it as is.
If you plan on putting it on E bay, then DON"T mess with it!!!

don't even remove the reflectors on the Tuff's
Everything is as it was Back in the day, and it's worth more that way as a true survivor.

wash and sell...or wash and keep.

it may fetch 300-500 on E Bay as it sits.

nice score!!!! it's a beauty!!
Kev.

KEV!!!!!!!!! =D I miss you buddy.

hey, anybody mind if I jump in this thread? I found a similar bike at a yard sale last summer...

mong01.JPG

mong02.JPG

mong03.JPG

mong04.JPG

mong05.JPG

mong06.JPG

still got it, though i'm sure it's not as original as yours... the seat, bars, and stem are wrong, and i guess the tires are too...

(haven't been here in a while, trying to get back into things a little...)

--rick

edit: hey wait a minute, my bars and stem look a LOT like that... did these things come with black Schwinn Scrambler-looking bars? maybe I just need a seat...

PRNDL- that is very similar, yours would be august '81 i believe. the bars look like mine too.

tomb said:
jjvh66 said:

Yeah, its F1xxxxxxx, so from my understanding thats June '81
Thanks for the kind words. Still deciding what I want to do with it. I did notice yesterday that its got a Shotgun1 seat too. Is there anyplace I should check on the bars/stem to see if they are anything unusual?
ebay.

Latest posts

Back