FrankenHiggins is FrankenFinished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke down my wheels yesterday. Got the rims primed/painted today.
Bare:
002.JPG

Primer:
003.JPG

Paint:
004.JPG

Also applied part B to my fenders. Taped off the white that I painted yesterday, and sprayed the green.
005.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

I already lifted some of the white paint. I'll let everything cook in my oven/garage til tomorrow and try again with the green paint.

I love the big sweeping fender darts!

Can't wait to see what the fenders look like finished, I've thought about doing similar things before but always took the easy way out and just shot clear over what was left of the old paint. Way to show initiative, or at least be less lazy than some (i.e. me).:whistle:

Had a little drivetrain setback today. When I broke down the rear wheel for paint, I noticed that the rear cog was near failure. The material was too thin, or my legs were too powerful(not likely), and the three tabs were deformed, and would strip out soon.
001.JPG

This was a 30T, but I found a 28T bmx sprocket in 1/8", and also a 24T Sturmey Archer dished rear in 1/8". I have both rolling to the scene. Which ever one gets here first gets to be on the bike.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Of course this is going to change the location of my rear wheel, and affect my fender mounting.

Had a little drivetrain setback today. When I broke down the rear wheel for paint, I noticed that the rear cog was near failure. The material was too thin, or my legs were too powerful(not likely), and the three tabs were deformed, and would strip out soon. View attachment 29349

This was a 30T, but I found a 28T bmx sprocket in 1/8", and also a 24T Sturmey Archer dished rear in 1/8". I have both rolling to the scene. Which ever one gets here first gets to be on the bike.
View attachment 29350
View attachment 29351
Of course this is going to change the location of my rear wheel, and affect my fender mounting.

Not necessarily!! IF you use the 28T sprocket, you can remove one inner/outer link, insert a half-link, and keep your wheel location. IF you use the 24T, you would have to remove two outer/inner link pairs AND use the half-link to keep the axle position. Eliminating the use of the half-link (if you cant find one) would only move your axle forward by about 1/4 inch.

Last edited:
Not necessarily!! IF you use the 28T sprocket, you can remove one inner/outer link, insert a half-link, and keep your wheel location. IF you use the 24T, you would have to remove two outer/inner link pairs AND use the half-link to keep the axle position. Eliminating the use of the half-link (if you cant find one) would only move your axle forward by about 1/4 inch.
Good point. I had to get a half link on my buildoff bike last year. I hope to use the 28 tooth, to keep my ratio close to the same.

Aircooled? Early Golf or Rabbit? Something else?

Luke.
You do really think us V-Dub guys were gonna let that slide by? C'mon, let's see a pic of the new whip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sold two 68 Beetles that I had bought really cheap. But they turned out to be too much work. So I just bought a 72 super beetle that is much closer to being a driver. No pics yet. Green with black Empi 8 spokes. I have to go get it on Monday.

Latest posts

Back