Front wheel drive Electric hub...any help I can get appreciated!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking to put an electric drive on a Schwinn Heavy Duti.
I know nothing about these except what I want it to be able to do...get me and a packload of gear about 5 miles up a rather steep dirt road.
Dont need to go fast necessarily, or be rad or high performance, just punch it up the mountain once or twice a week and not fall apart in a month or two..
Am I dreamin?

Traction is not so good with front wheel drive while climbing hills on dirt. Rear wheel hub motor will get better traction in the soft stuff. If the dirt road is hard pack, the front hub motor would work fine.

Mac has some geared hub motors in several different configurations. A T10 Mac seems to be popular for people who want more torque then speed. Hills are the weakness for hub motors, you could possibly roast a hub motor going constantly up steep hills. If your going up a steep hill for 5 miles like you said, look at a middrive set up, much better for hills. A middrive kit with the smallest chain ring that will fit and a internal geared 3 speed hub is popular for guys who want to tackle the hills. Something like a Bafang BBSHD middrive kit and a Shamano Nexus 3 speed IGH. Look at The Endless Sphere forum and the Electric Bike forum, hill climbing setups have been discussed in exhausting detail. It ain't cheap.

Thanks alot for the beta..not surprised ti hear this, was just hoping that i might have hit on a good idea for making these trips..
Maybe gonna look into some small dirt bikes instead..Honda 50's or something

That does qualify as 'any help appreciated'..!
I think I might be disappointed with the results going up hill on that rig but if I had one I'd try it anyway..

You on Instagram? You might check out
_jrat he builds some sick front wheel drivers...

Carl.

I've had two e-bikes with hub motors. The front driver was kinda wonky in handling, the rear was better. Mid-drive is the way to go, but it does get very expensive. You'll surely get what you pay for, as opposed to our rat pedalers, which give us so much more than what we pay for, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back