Front wheel hard to remove on Raleigh Sports...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a heck of a time removing the front wheel of my Raleigh Sports to replace tube and tire.
Wheel would not come off...very hard to spread fork for clearance. Finally came off after
struggling to spread forks! Want to put my speedometer on it but there is not enough space
between fork and spokes. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Probably an aftermarket wheel with a wider hub body. It there is spoke clearance, but the wheel is too big for the dropouts, that just means you need to remove spacers and/or install smaller hub lock nuts. If there is very little spoke clearance, than the hub body is too wide and came off of a bike with a larger fork. Replacing your hub is the best bet.

I've experienced Raleigh bikes that had flattened axle sides that would glide in/out of the slot with ease on angle.
The one I recollect was drum brake, but Sturmey just the same.
Possible oversight as it was when I first cursed and arm wrestle mine upon meeting?

That's silly, just unbolt the fork and replace the fork and wheel as a unit. ;)
I have too many bikes and I would have tossed out the Raleigh a long time ago but my daughter wants me to keep it for sentimental value but I'm tired of it and I'm going to cut it up. It's stuffed way under the eves of my attic with a 1997 Trek Single Track and two folding bikes that I seldom use.

cpc speedo.jpg
Have a nice speedo to put on but forks way too tight!

I have too many bikes and I would have tossed out the Raleigh a long time ago but my daughter wants me to keep it for sentimental value but I'm tired of it and I'm going to cut it up. It's stuffed way under the eves of my attic with a 1997 Trek Single Track and two folding bikes that I seldom use.
Never owned a Raleigh yet . Please share your dislikes of them , so I can make a more educated decision if I decided to look at one .
I like the roadster look of the Superbe's ?

I imagine this is an eyehole fork. Is one side of the axle a little shorter than the other to facilitate removal? If not, it might be a good idea to set it that way if you get the wheel off and want to put it back on.

ralspt1.jpg
rf2.jpg
Never owned a Raleigh yet . Please share your dislikes of them , so I can make a more educated decision if I decided to look at one .
I like the roadster look of the Superbe's ?

Great bikes! I have had a few...the Superbe was one of them, regret selling it! Currently have a Raleigh Sports and a Raleigh Folder.
Both 1970 and both are in excellent condition and ride great!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back