Full grip twist shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A twist grip shifter but the full grip rotates, kinda like the throttle on a motorbike.
Has anyone made, seen, or used one?
Pros? Cons?

Looking for thoughts on the concept rather than the exact one pictured here.
1590777781663.png

Unrelated but, also while searching for inspiration I stumbled across this Gilles Berthoud shifter
1590778307250.png

Gilles is making the twist shifter look gooood.

A twist grip shifter but the full grip rotates, kinda like the throttle on a motorbike.
Has anyone made, seen, or used one?
Pros? Cons?

Looking for thoughts on the concept rather than the exact one pictured here.
View attachment 123105

That unit pictured looks like a basic push/pull unit you'd find on a minibike

I've seen some funky engineering on motorcycles with twist clutch and even twist brakes. But not a full grip shift mechanism

That unit pictured looks like a basic push/pull unit you'd find on a minibike
It's a shimano 333 grip shifter apparently. I just grabbed it for a visual aide, I've never owned or used one.

I feel like on the right bike, made from the right components the concept could be kinda cool. But I wonder if it would lead to too many accidental shifts.

It's a shimano 333 grip shifter apparently. I just grabbed it for a visual aide, I've never owned or used one.

I feel like on the right bike, made from the right components the concept could be kinda cool. But I wonder if it would lead to too many accidental shifts.

Learn something new everyday

Yes. Kustom Kruiser - Slick Daddy has the full grip Shimano Nexus 3 speed twist shifter, as you describe. I like how it looks, and shifts. One thing though , with your arms raised to hold on to the Dyno - D style handlebars , the wrist tends to turn downwards. This has not caused an unwanted shift for me, but I get concerned being at an index between gears while riding. I think the design is available from Sram.

Yes. Kustom Kruiser - Slick Daddy has the full grip Shimano Nexus 3 speed twist shifter, as you describe.
Pics?

I'm thinking about converting a regular shimano quarter grip twist shifter to full grip

I feel if I can get my arms to sit in a fairly neutral position it wont shift unexpectedly or put any undue stress by sitting half cocked

I had a quick look through how toos, but also wasn't sure of the correct search term.

@Starnger is this you in the photo?
Not me on the photo, but i was looking for ones like that for some time. Since then i have found quite a few of different ones, including NOS from Felt for Sturmey-Archer shifters (SA also made shifters for Shimano hubs), microshift ones from 3g bikes and ones mentioned above.
I also have made a 3d file so you can try to 3d-pint them if you want.
They are actually quite comfy and i run them on few of my bikes.

Latest posts

Back