1. The first phase of the site update has been completed, but the forum software update will occur one evening this week. Will try to keep everyone posted when I find out an exact day. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

full suspension stretch

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by streetpirate, Dec 14, 2011.

1. streetpirate

streetpirate

This amazingly bootyfab bike was a culmination of whatever I had laying around.

'60s sears 26"
    swingarm off of a 24" NEXT wallmart bike I found in my dumpster
    fat messenger seat
    booger-welded rat trap from kids bmx, thats a 26" rim stuck in it and I think I can make it work with a 26x1.75 tire without rubbing
    straight apes and stem from '77 Schwinn Exerciser, need a bit of bend put in them
    random bits of tube from a junk 20" cantilever frame
    24" S-2 rim with a drum brake 5 speed cassette hub, dont have spokes, hub needs brake work

The parts pile

[​IMG]

initial mock up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chopped out seatpost tube

[​IMG]

used some 4" wide 1/4" thick flat stock to start making the shock mount

[​IMG]

used some smaller flatstock for the cross piece and tabs

[​IMG]

welded the seat tube back on going straight out the back

[​IMG]

made some supports out of old kids frame bits, old chrome stingray seat post with a junk drawer 7" bolt pounded in to make it solid

[​IMG]

assembled again for mock up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to actually buy stuff. 24x2.125 cheng shin whitewall out back, 26x1.75 up front, drum brake shoes, heavy spokes to lace the back. I need to clean up the bb, decide if I want to weld on a different bottom bracket further forward in the frame so the pedals don't scrape, plus my knees would hit my chin if I left it where it is. I will need to slot the big plate in the right side for chain clearance, smooth out my crappy mig welds, decide on paint, brake cable, shifter, decide if I want to put a briggs and stratton in there... :)

2. largek9

largek9

Thats a really kool set up! I have that mtb $5 bike fleamarket find. (parts plucker)It looks like it will be low and long,great idea! I love larger in rear skinny in front Kinda 70's ish.neato!

3. deezenuts

deezenuts

I like how instead of being able to adjust the seat up and down for height, you can push it back for more stretch. haha very cool 8)

4. cut-um-up kustoms

cut-um-up kustoms

That a cool way of doing it I'd like to see it finished.

5. streetpirate

streetpirate

next month I'll start buying the parts I need to finish it, it will be a slow build because I'm not home from college all that often but I will post updates when they are due

6. jackdaw

jackdaw

That's pretty neat man.

7. wimpy

wimpy

It's allways amazing,what you can do with old stuff from a dumpster. And to be honest,it looks cool. The rear-end suits the bike. Good lines.
    Eager to see more pics. Way to go, dude! 8)