Fully

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deprived another bike of its suspension post and I think this might be a final for the seat set up. (when I say full suspension I mean full suspension!)
IMG_20200315_152821.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, yeah I just read it!
My initial idea was to use my Lepper seat, but it is in poor condition (an issue with one of the nose springs), it weighs a ton and requires additional support to not tilt back under my weight. The seat post is 1" and the inner seat tube is 1 1/8", but I used a shim.
There is still a lot of work though - the cables must be installed and I am not happy with the front tire. I will wait with the tires because I might be able to get a pair of really cool and rare tires that I could then split between this one and the Haribo.
IMG_20200315_170850.jpg

Also prepared the bars:
IMG_20200315_211924.jpg

Those Wainmann brake handles are super cool. Don't you want to change that stock shifter to something cooler?

While I enjoy how twist shifters operate I don't like how much handlebar length they cost me, so yes, I would very much like to replace it. I also don't have a rubber ring for this shifter, because it came with a twist grip.
I would prefer a rapid fire 3sp shifter, but I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet. You made me search the web and I found these options, all 3 models are available to buy, but for 29-39$ each:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SL-3S90.html

esp-41.jpg

There is also this one: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SL-3S91J.html
P-SL-3S91J_4938_1_750_750.jpeg

Very cool. I also found this:
SL-3S70-Black-001A-600x600.JPG

SL-3S70. This one might be the one I use.
We'll see, this is maybe 100$ for 2 + shipping (If I do this I might as well also replace the shifter on my Haribo bike), which is a bit steep. I have lready planned that money for tires (the fellow is ill so we wait a bit till he gets better to go through with the deal) and I still need to buy cables and housings.

What shifter would you recommend?

Last edited:
72134799_2344876605624307_3890520044030918656_o.jpg
manetka-przerzutki-romet-jaguar-huragan-rekord-prl-34142950.jpg

Since it's a 3spd the only gear that needs to be used accurately is the second one (first is line all-in, and third is line all-out) I use a non indexed shifter from old Polish racing bikes. I just made a set of dots representing the second gear. Made a lot of miles on it, and it works perfectly.

While I enjoy how twist shifters operate I don't like how much handlebar length they cost me, so yes, I would very much like to replace it. I also don't have a rubber ring for this shifter, because it came with a twist grip.
I would prefer a rapid fire 3sp shifter, but I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet. You made me search the web and I found these options, all 3 models are available to buy, but for 29-39$ each:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SL-3S90.html

esp-41.jpg

There is also this one: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SL-3S91J.html
P-SL-3S91J_4938_1_750_750.jpeg

Very cool. I also found this:
SL-3S70-Black-001A-600x600.JPG

SL-3S70. This one might be the one I use.
We'll see, this is maybe 100$ for 2 + shipping (If I do this I might as well also replace the shifter on my Haribo bike), which is a bit steep. I have lready planned that money for tires (the fellow is ill so we wait a bit till he gets better to go through with the deal) and I still need to buy cables and housings.

What shifter would you recommend?
You may consider Microshift . I have used them for both 3 & 4 speed Nexus . The 4 speed I had to order from Germany and the Frt. was more then the shifter .
s-l640.jpg

A 70's 3pd Sachs shifter with new Shimano hub is not recommended as it has different pull lengths. That Sachs shifter looks like it has a busted return spring on it as well. Buy and use one of the new push/pull plastic ones above you referenced.

I thought so. Well, I will leave it like this for now. I will search for one of the thumb shifters located in Europe.
P.S. Well it turns out the firston the list, the SL-3S90 can be purchased from Japan for a reasonable price, shipping included.

Last edited:
Today I have a day off so I got me my box cutter:
IMG_20200331_182932.jpg

Then I patiently shaved those tread edges off to give the front tire a more rounded look:
IMG_20200331_181557.jpg

Cockpit view:
IMG_20200331_182055.jpg
IMG_20200331_182116.jpg

The Tacho didn't feel right. A wider view (it has a kickstand at last):
IMG_20200331_182423.jpg

I will have to get a proper shim for the seat post. I have these Shimano cables here:
IMG_20200331_182238.jpg

... But I think I might use red cable housings on this bike.

Last edited:
The shim that I used for the seat post is for ahead stem, so about 30-40mm length only. I will be ordering a seat post shim which is I think 80 or 100mm long.
In the meantime this is what it looks like under the seat:
IMG_20200404_152150.jpg
IMG_20200404_152454.jpg

The nut on the seat clamp was chosen because it looks like a tooth wheel, so it matches the setting nut for the shock, and to emphasize the industrial look.
IMG_20200404_152710.jpg
IMG_20200404_152544.jpg
IMG_20200404_152904.jpg
IMG_20200404_152916.jpg

Next I have to figure out how to run the cables.

Some development.
I am not big friend of fenders, but I wanted to try something:
IMG_20200410_204959.jpg

IMG_20200410_205105.jpg

Then I added a rear fender:
IMG_20200410_214646.jpg
IMG_20200410_215325.jpg

My shift cable set has arrived, in the end all cables will be black. I don't want too much color. I am also thinking about sanding the fenders bare metal, but I am not sure if it is worth it since the fork and the swing arm are black anyway.
I might have another such or similar front light. The taillight is battery operated so I can run two front lights with the dynamo. Or so I think.

I've never messed with full suspension bikes. You have inspired me, and I plan to build a rat fully some time in the near future. I'm keeping my eyes out for a cheapie.

All right, I am inclined to leave them black as well. Some silver stripes or something like this perhaps.
By the way that microshifter sure looks fine.
Fullys offer a wonderful cushy ride. It would be cool to ride it electric, but no extra money for such an upgrade. It would look great with a bare metal motor and a silver battery on the top tube.
To be honest I also had an air suspension fork in mind, originally, but decided to keep this double crown fork, which was a trade between looks and function. This one works OK, but obviously is a 20 years old low end fork.
I might get the second front light today.
I got this bike stand a few days ago and I put it together today. It was from the supermarket ALDI SÜD (don't laugh) and it looks good ok. I managed to get the fully on it, despite almost its weird frame.
It has a wide spread (not fully spreaded in the photo) , five legs, height adjustable.
IMG_20200412_105416.jpg

The bike clamp is with a quick release (had to loosen the dynamo and get it out of the way first).
It also has a small tray with a magnet, also a handlebars holder.
I will use it to run the cables and lights. I assume it will make the work more comfortable.
IMG_20200412_110901.jpg

I think 25 was a fair price. The brand was Bikemate. I do have a build or two planned that I can use it on.

I have had the exact same stand for 2 years now. Purchased from Aldi store in Wisconsin, USA.
It's a nice stand, maybe a little cheesy, especially the plastic clamp. Also I have lost a couple of the soft jaws just fell off somewhere... :(

The bike stand is rock solid. Tonight I tripped and fell over it. It moved a bit to the side, but stayed very stable.
I got just a bruise on my knee.
I connected the brakes.
The rear is a roller brake from Shimano, which goes with this Nexus 3 hub:
IMG_20200415_232717.jpg

The front hub is a Sachs with a drum brake:
IMG_20200415_232634.jpg

And this is my temporary solution for the coaster (reaction) arm of the drum brake:
IMG_20200415_232649.jpg

A front light holder is held in place by the three plastic clamps.
Could I use simply some metal band, you know that one with the holes?
Montagelochband---Lochband-19-mm-10m-Kunststoff-um.jpg

That fork tube is 35mm in diameter. I might look online for some pipe clamp.
I have to think of a way to widen the holes on these cable guides. Can anyone familiar with such bikes explain what is the idea to have the cable housings in a few segments???
IMG_20200415_232746.jpg

I am not sure about the fenders, in particular the rear fender - it distracts from the clean look of the swingarm, I feel.

Last edited:
If the roller brake is the only brake, I would want something stout. Don't want that arm spinning when braking. :android:
The partial housings over cables are supposed to reduce friction and weight (and look cool) but a downside - great spot for rust and dirt. I imagine you could drill out or grind off the small hole that stops the housing and run it through.

As I was preparing to connect the gears I did some reading, to find out what is the correct inner cable length from the setting nut to the "inner cable mounting bolt", which the manual says is 127mm.
I also found out my hub is the SG-3R75. From the Shimano webpage (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SG-3R75-B.html):
Higher stability of shifting performance by new internal mechanism, Higher durability and higher internal strength ( 2 times and 1.5 times better than normal INTER-3 ), Smooth shifting by silent clutch.
Then I found the following info on Sheldon Brown's page: "The rotary-shifting SG-3R75 uses the same CJ-NX40 cassette joint cable connection as Shimano's 7-speed hubs."
20190526_151152.jpg

But if they are all interchangeable this means I can use one like this:
20190526_152452.jpg

...which I prefer.

Latest posts

Back