Fun With Springs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cman said:
What keeps that nut from loosening up? I realize it is under tension right now, but it does lose tension as the spring compresses. A second jam nut may be needed.

Did I tell you that I like looptails?

Trust me threading a 3/4'' piece of solid rod makes the nut real tight to screw on.
Its not going anywhere. No need for a jam nut either, and you better have a big wrench
to loosen it up. :shock:
Yes you said you like looptails. I'm really not that fond of them for some reason.
They are hard to do out of one piece of tubing. I mainly did two to see if I could.

Thanks Zombie , it was just playing around. I get bored easy.

Thanks K really you can whip one up pretty quick. They are not that difficult to build.
Could probably make it look different with straight fork legs. Sorta Monarkish.

Nice! Simply Nice!
Thanks for sharing.
Gizmo

Thanks everybody. I'm glad yall liked it. This may not be a fantastic build, but it
was cheap..fast and pretty easy...Oh and you can say "I built that". Here is a quick video
of the action. The spring makes a little noise..maybe fixable with a little lube. Works good
for an easy project. Just click the picture.

I appreciate it guys. Your right Gary with all the steel in this baby
there won't be a fear of anything breaking. I would imagine Monark would turn
over in his grave if he saw this monstrosity....Dainty it ain't. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If your looking for a solid tank like design, this is the fork for you. :wink:

Great job, trying to think about if I want to incorporate one into my build off bike...
Uncle Stretch's sigline said:
shop cleaned and ready for the next silly project.
Any idea what that might be yet? :wink:

Luke.

When I welded the washers on each fork, I took an axle and 4 nuts. I put a nut on
the inside and outside of the washers so they would be lined up and then welded
both sides. The washers fit the grade 8- 3/8'' bolts tight. I need to find some shoulder bolts
for the rockers. I seriously doubt that I will use this fork, but I would like to know if
I build one a little more refined , that I can find the bolts to make it work right.
Really as much space as there is between the top of the tire and the fork, You could
squeeze the forks flat in your vice and drill the holes a little higher instead of welding
washers on the inside and out .

DSCF0003_zps73269138.jpg

Luke ,I'm thinking for the next while, I will part out the Elgin I have. Need the room.
Its getting full in my storage part again. Space becomes a premium. Insanity at its highest.
I'm not sure what your buildoff project will be but if you need massive on the front of it
one of these would fill the bill.
DSCF0002_zps28efc9e5.jpg

Pogo fork ...hummm well there you go.
Dorian I have some big plastic washers that would work, but the noise is not the
rebound , its the spring rubbing against the 3/4'' rod. I'm not going to use it anyway
it was just playing around to see how hard it would be to build one.

Will give you an idea JJ. Its a simple build.

Ha Uncle Stretch,Nice works on the springer front end.Better than my no welds all thread sealer and 2 old springs off of a rusty bicycle seat idea i had today lol.

It rides great but need some pointers :roll: cause Im broke poor and use only stuff i got on hand

Latest posts

Back