Geisha Gang's Street Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different grips...different saddle.
Also perhaps try flipping the bars upright.

What size are your tires?
They look like they may be on backward by the tread pattern...?

Last edited:
Yes, the stem is a beauty.
I can highly recomend cork grips, the soft material and the slightly larger diameter make for an incredibly pleasant handling experience.
To be honest the bike looks cool, but I think You will enjoy it more with a fork that is not so extremely raked.

Different grips...different saddle.
Also perhaps try flipping the bars upright.

What size are your tires?
They look like they may be on backward by the tread pattern...?

New grips and a saddle are a must! I first tried the bars upright, but for me, just made it look too classic, which is not what I'm going for with this build.

Tires are 47-559 (26 x 1.75 inches)....yeeeaaahhh....to be honest, I never really thought about whether or not the tires were on backwards. After you mentioned, I can't stop looking at them, so thanks for the tip! I'll switch them after I'm back from India next month.

Yes, the stem is a beauty.
I can highly recomend cork grips, the soft material and the slightly larger diameter make for an incredibly pleasant handling experience.
To be honest the bike looks cool, but I think You will enjoy it more with a fork that is not so extremely raked.

Thanks, glad you think my bike looks nice :happy: The springer isn't THAT bad. Cruising around at reasonable speeds is really no problem at all. As I wrote earlier, I built this bike with the springer to see how it performs in general, so that I can decide what kind of fork I'll throw on my main build. I know now, not to use a bent springer, because it performs rather poorly at high speeds (hills in particular).

Yeah cool, I'll look into some cork grips, or maybe use a cork bar wrap. Thanks for the tip!

I'm happy everyone likes my stem so much, but it's actually a loaner from my Schwinn, that I ride in the winter. I actually wanted to pick up a shorter stem to bring the bars closer to me.

38135001.jpg

That's the one I'm looking at from Ergotec.

You're rocking a 7" crank right? Are you having clearance issues with the lowrider forks?

Well...I'm running a pair of 140mm cranks, so that's about 6" (pedal included) and yes, I do have clearance issues when cornering. I usually have to build up some speed before a sharp corner, because I can't pedal AT ALL or else I'll clip. I have about an inch of clearance between the pedal and the ground. For the most part, I never have to worry about clipping; you just have to be a little mindful.

IMG_20190331_150946.jpg

So after hibernating through the cold, German winter, my lovely rat rod has risen from the basement! I bought a new saddle and decided to wrap the handlebars, though I'll need to re-wrap them, as they look a bit rough at the moment. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas or tips to clean her up a bit

Just a quick photo shoot, as I was biking through an old shopping center.

IMG_20190401_222153.jpg

Would make a sweet ad!

IMG_20190401_190724.jpg

My wrapped, but should be re-wrapped bars. I'd like to throw an old Bates style head lamp on the front.

IMG_20190401_190746.jpg

Very Comfortable saddle!

IMG_20190401_222525.jpg

He seems to be very fond of my pretty rat rod!

IMG_20190401_222733.jpg

GG, I have built a bike with a bent springer and have helped the stability of it by stretching the length of the bars towards the rider. I also stretched the frame, but yours is effectively stretched by running a 26" wheelset in a 28" frame, so the frame feels longer. Anyway I used longer wider bars and the steering is fine. Look here at Rockin' Rollfast I suppose the riding style is different. With the bent seat post I'm actually behind the cranks more and leaning back with the big handlebars, cruiser style. Either way I like your build it's cool.

Carl.

Still droolin' on this. I might suggest wrapping the bars from center to the ends. When done this way you don't need the nasty electrical tape. Looks much cleaner and you don't end up with a gooey mess after a while. Some folks claim that this is incorrect and will end up 'peeling' back. After over a decade of riding bikes with wrapped bars, I've never encountered that problem. In fact, I find it adventitious... I find it tends to add a little grip. This youtube video shows how:

Still droolin' on this. I might suggest wrapping the bars from center to the ends. When done this way you don't need the nasty electrical tape. Looks much cleaner and you don't end up with a gooey mess after a while. Some folks claim that this is incorrect and will end up 'peeling' back. After over a decade of riding bikes with wrapped bars, I've never encountered that problem. In fact, I find it adventitious... I find it tends to add a little grip. This youtube video shows how:

That's a pretty cool tip, though the problem I see is that I don't really have the cables to be holding the wrap in place as he does in the beginning. Also, I think the fact I'm wrapping around "Non-Wrapbar" components (grip shift, v-brake, etc) is killing the clean look. I will, however try this style of wrapping on my road bike. I'm going to do some searches online to see if anyone else has done wrappings with such components.

GG, I have built a bike with a bent springer and have helped the stability of it by stretching the length of the bars towards the rider. I also stretched the frame, but yours is effectively stretched by running a 26" wheelset in a 28" frame, so the frame feels longer. Anyway I used longer wider bars and the steering is fine. Look here at Rockin' Rollfast I suppose the riding style is different. With the bent seat post I'm actually behind the cranks more and leaning back with the big handlebars, cruiser style. Either way I like your build it's cool.

Carl.

Glad you dig my build! Yeah, I used 26ers on purpose so I could get that stretch. I don't really have problems steering and controlling, but because of the rake angle, I can NEVER ride no hands, as she would jackknife and send me to my doom...

I thought about using a banana seat in order to be riding from behind the cranks, but then I wouldn't be able to use the handlebars I'm currently rocking (they'd be too short). I'd have to instead use apes, cruisers or try to get some customs in the style I have, but longer. Your bike, however, is really, really sweet!

You don’t need the cables as he describes. The cables aren’t acually holding anything “ in place” He only points that out because his bike has cables. You basically just want to wrap it over itself once at the start, and that in instelf secures the bar wrap from the beginning. I’ve used this method on all bars.
It is much easier if you have the components already mounted to the bars then go about strategically wrapping. I wish I could explain it better, but it’s difficult through words without demonstration.

Last edited:
You don’t need the cables as he describes. The cables aren’t acually holding anything “ in place” He only points that out because his bike has cables. You basically just want to wrap it over itself once at the start, and that in instelf secures the bar wrap from the beginning. I’ve used this method on all bars.
It is much easier if you have the components already mounted to the bars then go about strategically wrapping. I wish I could explain it better, but it’s difficult through words without demonstration.

Ah... Alright, I'm drinking what you're spilling! That actually makes sense. My biggest obstacle will be going around the gripshift and brake lever. I'd throw on a suicide shifter, but with my rake angle being so extreme, it just might literally be a suicide shifter, though I can ride one handed... :39:

Latest posts

Back