Gender bending sears bobber.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the build of this bike in the builds section, not even knowing the motored section exhisted.

Basically bike started as a 70's(?) Sears 20" girls bike i picked up at the local scrap yard for $6, (just for the 14" apes) about 3 years ago, with zero intentions of motoring it.

At first, i just built a cool lowrider style bike with a bobber twist for my son to ride. I had a set of rat trap forks from a 60's 26" starliner. Flipped the knuckles, and used em. :

Then i painted it a bit more suiting, and used the seat off of the same 26" starliner:

So, i bought an 80cc chinese motor kit for another project i have going on.... (ill make a thread on that) anyway, decided it was way to small for the other project and decided i needed something a bit more practically sized for the 80cc.

So.... it began:

First thing i did, was cut the step thru top tube out, and flipped it, and re-welded it up top between the head tube and seat post:

Cool... motor fit. But seating was tight, and pedaling was almost im possible without the knees and elbows getting together.

Next.....

Screw it, im stretching the frame:

I stretched the chainstay a total of 5", and rear forks 3", persay... when i stretched the rear forks, i decided to carry the tubes i slipped over them, on over the top tube to meet the bottom tube, like an old schwinn scrambler cantilever frame to held spread weight and stress of the stretched frame:

Kewel.

Well, i forget why now, but i tried and tried to get the sears 3 piece crank out, even drilled the pin out, heated cranks, nada. So, i cut em off. Oh well, who needs pedals. With a 44t procket on a 20" wheel, i should be fine without it. So i started bolting everyrhing together, got to the rear 80 spoke wheel, and realized, i couldnt use em...which to me really sucked, because i feel they "made" the bike. Off to find suiting wheels.

Also, my original idea was to use a MTB rear disc brake. Well, that wasnt gonna work either:

Hmmm, again, i need some wheels. Also while im at it, since there arent any pedals, im gonna need some foot pegs.

Also, at this point, my son was assisting me in finding a good seating position:

So, back on the bench, got the lower frame support for the foot pegs on, found my wheels, and also brainstormed on a springer seat, using 22r valve springs and heavy duty gate hinge.

My son also decided that drag bars were more comfy than the apes, and i agreed as this was his first "motorcycle", comfort while learning is important. Also got the braking worked out, as well as got the white walls on the new wheels:

Next, exhaust and making the brakes work.

I made a brake pedal out of a piece of mountainbike suspension cantilever. It operates, like this:

The exhaust, (please spare me about the expansion chamber. Yes i know this isnt best for "performance", but keep in mind this bike is being riden by a 7 year old, im not looking for max power)

Its ran like this, and is now wrapped in heat wrap, (pics coming)

I ordered a real motorcycle shifter peg for the brake pedal, and a nice set of sport bike rear foot pegs for the pegs on this bike, here my son is, installing the new pegs.

Also ordered a generic tire driven generator, head light and tail light. All strait wired and hard mounted, meaning when ever to bike is in motion the lights are on.

Heres some final pics (minus the exhaust wrap that just came in and got installed) and some vids of my son cruising on it, getting used to it. (Btw he races jr ametuer bmx:wink1:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9GUkUg2Lj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9Ic-aAmmj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9hM9Sgdjo/

as you can see, the rake and trail are a little wonky, but always have been on the bike before it was motorized but he loved it even before the motor was put on it. After a few weeks when hes comfy, we'll put the apes back on it.

It made his day saturday when w had it tied in back of the truck when in town, and everyone admiring it. Even got some dap from some sport bike guys that were at wendy's when we stopped to eat lunch.

Ill post some better pics soon.

Latest posts

Back