Genesis Onex 29er Stem Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an Onex 29er and I'm about to do some upgrades. I've read that some people have had trouble with the stem. Can anyone describe what went wrong with the stock stem? I'm wondering if I should just replace it from the start.

I just looked it up and I imagine it's just that it's an old-style steel post in an aluminum frame. That style of post can be fine, but I find that the cheap(er) ones wear out when they've been adjusted a few times and the seat will no longer hold position well. Also (you might already know this), since these kinds of bikes often don't come with their bearings lubricated, I'm sure the posts aren't either. I would probably replace the post with an aluminum micro adjust and put some grease on it before inserting it, but you could just grease the steel one to reduce electrolytic corrosion and maybe remove it every year or so and re-grease it to make sure it doesn't weld itself in. If you do this and get your seat angle adjustment right and keep the seat clamp tight, I would think you'd be fine unless there's a specific peculiarity to this bike. Even then, though, you can replace the clamp independent of the post if that part's a problem (unless it's some really weird size).

Thanks for the reply, the aluminum seat post is a great idea. I'll look into what I can get.

I was actually talking about the handlebar stem. The last 29er I had didn't have any problems, but I've read where people ended up with floppy handlebars rather quickly. I'd really rather not replace the stem because it's nice looking, but if I have to, I have to.

Already in the works for replacement are the pedals, the bottom bracket and crank bolts, a 23t rear sprocket and KMC chain, all the zinc coated hardware will be replaced with stainless and eventually, all the steel spoke nipples will be replaced with chrome plated brass.

Santa delivered the bike yesterday. I should probably start a project thread.

VfqESAQ.jpg

Oh, sorry. Assumptions and all that. The pics I see of the bike show it with one of the adjustable angle/height stems. I had a similar one and had problems with it, too—the adjustment seems like it was only meant to be used once as the second time I changed it, the adjustment wouldn't stay tight even cranking the hardware down to the point where I thought I'd strip it. It wasn't to the point of being dangerous, but there was a bit of play that was disconcerting. Anyway, I figured out the angle I liked and bought a fixed stem to match.

Agree. Adjustable stems aren’t very good because they are under fairly big loads and do often creak and squeak or get loose. They are also a lot heavier than a stem needs to be. Find your angle and buy a fixed stem.

Latest posts

Back