GinSonic newbster intro.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RRB members.

I'm Russ and probably as old as your daddies. Well, perhaps not. I'm under the belief that individuals into the hobby of custom bicycle building are usually older than the kids in the MB/BMX forums, but I could be wrong.

It doesn't matter how old you are. I'm new to custom bicycle modding and joined up in here to gain some insight to this hobby, so you youngens teach me! Here's my stable of bicycles;

th_P1000620.jpg
th_P1000589.jpg
th_P1000587.jpg
th_P1000586.jpg

I've been a gearhead forever and though I have practical skills and knowledge in that regard, cruiser/chopper bicycles are somewhat new to me. So in order for one to use ones practical skills, one must amass knowledge first.

As a child my progression into wheeled playthings was typical. Lil' red wagon and tricycles Then as a young lad I got into the banana seat Mustangs and Stingrays. Then the 10 speed craze of the early/mid '70's. Cars and motorcycles were also always in the mix from my teens on.

Then I chased the rock n' roll dream in the '80's and all my efforts went into that. Check into the '90's and that's where I re-aquainted myself back into things with wheels, cars, motorcycles and the bike culture. {Bike culture big time!}

I recently obtained an old Proflex MB. My intention right from the get go was to retire it from any major offroad activity and give it an easy life as a coffee cruiser bike. I still gotta paint the frame black and polish up all the alloys and steel, but it's almost there. Here's a couple of pics;

P1000707.jpg

P1000705.jpg

P1000702.jpg

I converted the rear to a 24", put a fat 2.5" Hookworm on it and the fronts still a 26" with a skinny 1.25" slick. The sacked rear suspension along with the 24" wheel contributes to its somewhat lower stance. By no means a lowrider to be sure. The Ducktail fenders give it a fat appearance too. There's more mods, but you get the idea.

However, this particular bike is the reason I joined up in here;

P1000747.jpg

P1000746.jpg

P1000748.jpg

I'd like to customize this bike with some aftermarket parts and a new exterior. However, in so much that I can work on this bike easily enough, the type and kind of mods I can do to it, I'm not too sure on.

That's why I'm here in RRB forums. Pick the brains of the gurus within this community!
Cheers.
G.

Welcome aboard GinSonic!

You've got some nice looking bikes in your heard.

Funny you mention age...I think the custom bike building crowd tends to be made up of an older group of folks. Here's a good thread to look through to see who you're dealing with on this site:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

That last bike looks like a great base for a rat.

Enjoy the ride!

Rat Rod said:
......Funny you mention age...I think the custom bike building crowd tends to be made up of an older group of folks. Here's a good thread to look through to see who you're dealing with on this site:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

That last bike looks like a great base for a rat.....
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I figured the majority would be in their 30's and 40's. That age group thread definitely proves it. It's kind of an ,"old world craftsmen," thing I guess. Not that we're, "old," or that there isn't any, "young," folks into cruiser/chopper custom cycles. The consumer age killed it off some.

I find most younger cycle tinkerers are into remaking, upgrading and modding BMX, DJ, mountainbikes rather than old Schwinns and the like. It's what one's into I suppose.

Last night I mucked about with the cruiser bike. I took the fenders off, the rear derailler and 5spd shifter. I removed a few links on the chain. Easy to remove. Extremely difficult to put back together. So much so that I gave up and just put it together with a piece of wire.

Don't worry. I'm not gonna run it this way. I'm just jerry rigging it this way to figure stuff out and learn.
G.

GinSonic... ( From our Capital City Victoria )

welcome aboard

good to have you here..we are getting pretty strong
support from British Columbia...

nice Line up of Bikes..
and you'll have Fun here for Sure....

peace,
Kev.

Clothespin "n" said:
GinSonic... ( From our Capital City Victoria )

welcome aboard

good to have you here..we are getting pretty strong
support from British Columbia...

nice Line up of Bikes..
and you'll have Fun here for Sure....

peace,
Kev.
Holy! 2450 posts? Are you one of the resident RRB, "post whores?" :wink: :)

Always good to hear from fellow Canadians in forums. From my searches in here I gather there is a somewhat strong group of you in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley. Not big and well known like NorthShore MB'ers, but I gather your presence is known locally and in RRB.

I started to peruse bicycle type forums when I got that old Proflex a few weeks ago. After discovering that it was already somewhat of a frankenbike, I decided to "un-mountainbikasize" it and give it easy retirement duties as a cool coffee cruiser.

I didn't know where to start, so I joined up in MTBR and Bikeforums. I got some good info, but not really what I was looking for in a forum. They're too big. Like a big city. Not really community like.

Then PinkBike.{Too young a community. If you're into DJ, freeride and BMX, thats your place. Plus they chat alot like it's MSN or something.}

I actually discoverd RRB through the ALT BIKE forum in BikeForums. My thirst for knowledge in this hobby brought me here and I think it suits me. A nice community in here to be sure. Well, it feel like it to me.

Not too big that you get lost in the shuffle. Not too small that it too slow and boring. Just right.

I belong to a tunercar forum that has a similar feel and is also a small niche type of forum, but strong in enthusiasm and character. RRB strikes me the same way. Think I'll like it here.

My apologies. A bit of a long story, I realize. And just to convey that I'll like it here!
Cheers.
G.

Holy! 2450 posts? Are you one of the resident RRB, "post whores?"

No Ginsonic....I've been on since the site Started,
and I was in a Build off which brought my Numbers up high.

and I comment on others work a lot.
Good or Bad...as well I try my best to Read every Intro and say
Hello.

welcome.....and myself as well was a Big Mountain Biker.
Now....I have a Rocky Mountain Hammer Hardtail that will do me Fine
as an Urban assult Bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

welcome once again,

peace,
Kev.

Welcome from the Mid-west. Great bikes, you will have fun reading and learning all the cool stuff these guys are doing. You mentioned age on this site. 35yrs. old Avg. most of the guys are in their 30's & early 40's. there only a few of us are 50+. Welcome

Clothespin "n" said:
Holy! 2450 posts? Are you one of the resident RRB, "post whores?"

No Ginsonic....I've been on since the site Started,
and I was in a Build off which brought my Numbers up high.

and I comment on others work a lot.
Good or Bad...as well I try my best to Read every Intro and say
Hello.....

.....peace,
Kev.
You're a shining example of what I previously mentioned regarding the character and enthusiasm within the pages of RRB.

I'm sure you LM/FV{Vancouver area}boys know if there's any custom bicycle shows or cruises local to us. When do these events occur?

dos cruiser said:
Welcome from the Mid-west. Great bikes, you will have fun reading and learning all the cool stuff these guys are doing. You mentioned age on this site. 35yrs. old Avg. most of the guys are in their 30's & early 40's. there only a few of us are 50+. Welcome
Thanks Dos cruiser.
I'm one of the 50+ gang.
G.

Latest posts

Back