GLENDERSON - [winter build off]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain bro... I rock a limited budget myself. Drives me nuts sometimes when I see bits and pieces and think to myself, that's the next part I need... How can I make that out of waxpaper and cobwebs? o_O
Put one of my guitars up for sale today... Good Luck with your build...

Carl.

I feel your pain bro... I rock a limited budget myself. Drives me nuts sometimes when I see bits and pieces and think to myself, that's the next part I need... How can I make that out of waxpaper and cobwebs? o_O
Put one of my guitars up for sale today... Good Luck with your build...

Carl.

Thanks Mate. I might put Chopster up for sale on Trade Me... see how it goes :39: I put my Marin Drakes Beach cruiser up before Christmas but had no bites at all :( People are either not willing to pay the shipping costs or just not into cool bikes down here :rolleyes: I have to admit that shipping costs are steep here... was quoted $120 from here at the top of the North Island down to the South Island o_O

Cheers,

Glen.

17/01/2014

Well, while I am waiting for other bits and pieces to manifest themselves, I decided to have a look at some various parts...

21_Parts.jpg

That round thing in the middle is a ballcock float I picked up today for the dome ends of the tank. Here is how it looked once it was cut in half and mocked it up on the PVC pipe...

22_TankDome.jpg

23_Tank.jpg

And while I am mentioning the tank... thanks to The Renaissance Man for sending me this cool tank graphic :113:...

24_TankGraphic.jpg

I also did some cutting and started on the handlebars...

25_Bars.jpg

It's slow going... but getting there. o_O

Glen.

18/01/2014

Really cool work! Love the caps on the tank, that was inspired!
Waiting to see how the golf clubs work in, I am thinking the handles would make cool shifters...

Luke.

Thanks Luke, good guess about the clubs... some old clubs might just end up as shifters indeed :)

However, they were included in that previous photo because I hope to replicate the lever type thingie that can be seen protruding from the Henderson handlebar in this picture...

12_HendersonSpringer.jpg

On the Henderson, it controls the carburetor... but I hope to make twist grip brake controllers. Might not work but worth a try...

26_Bars.jpg

Looks okay so far, but not sure exactly how it will all come together... just making it up as I go along as usual :blush:

Glen.

That is such a cool idea. If it doesn't work for brakes it could even be a shifter.

24/01/2014

Thanks for the comments guys... glad you all like the twist brake idea :happy: Still working on that... here is another part of it...

27_BarGrip.jpg

It is the handlebar grip which is half of an old seat post. The piece of threaded rod will be welded within it and go up through the "tunnel" created by the old golf club handles inside the bars. The lever will be attached to the other end of the threaded rod.

I have not done much over the last few days, but did do a bit of work on the forks...

28_Forks.jpg

29_Forks.jpg

The mount at the top is different to what is on the Henderson, but I decided to do it this way to give some height adjustability there.

Also, while I have your attention, your opinions please on the following...

30_BBbrace.jpg

Do I need to add an extra brace to the BB and if so, which of the configurations above would be best?

Oh, and some exciting news... I purchased a seat off Trade Me that should be perfect on this bike. I could not resist it and figured I could stretch the budget just this once :angelic:

Glen.

I would put the bar between the two. The opposite angle as between the two that already exist. Make since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Just like the yellow. And id try to use the same size square tubing as the grey bar.
Idk that you need an extra bar. I think it'll look fine with out it but if you were to put it in that's where I think it should go. I thought you originally asked because you need it for strength.

Wow Carl... now that's a seat. Currently at NZ$108 with NZ$89.52 shipping. :eek:

Did you know that the Henderson motocycle that I am trying to emulate actually had provision for an extra seat in front of the rider? When I first got the bike mocked up with wheels recently, I pondered the idea of making it a tandem... but then I finished pondering and got back to work.

25/01/2014

Seat and brakes arrived yesterday. I was amazed at how quickly they both got to me. Seat from Dunedin (bottom of the South Island, I live at the top of the North Island) took one day, while the brakes only took a week from Hong Kong :13:

32_Seat.jpg

33_Brakes.jpg

The seat is a bit smaller than I was hoping for, but looks right :happy:

The brakes are cheap band brakes got off ebay... my first time using ebay. Never used these type of brakes before so just hoping they will work okay. Anyone have experience with them? I was expecting them to both be the same but one is a shiny chrome one and the other is some sort of silver coloured finish. No worries... they can be dirtied up :p

Still have to get onto the mudguards and the lights and the stand and the wheels and the gear levers... while continuing with all the other stuff :eek:

So why do we do this again? o_O

Oh that's right... fun :crazy:

Glen.

What type of brakes are those?

They are called "Band Brakes". I had never seen them before either and found them while searching for cheap brakes on ebay.

Here are a few images off the internet to show band brakes...

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)c.jpg

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)a.jpg

BRK-60Ba.jpg

1271917999370_hz_fileserver2_1048029.jpg

Hope that gives you the idea.

The central "drum" that the band tightens onto attaches to the hub where the freewheel would be. It screws onto the threads that the freewheel would normally be on... I think. That's how it looks to me.

It seems that they are commonly used on mopeds and go-karts.

Glen.

Latest posts

Back