goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - !!!!!FINISHED!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - Update 5/4!

loudboys said:
supergoob said:
Not sure I know which confluence and rivers you are talking about?

I apologize; I was thinking of Cairo (IL), not Cadiz. Cairo is where the Ohio and Mississippi come together. There's a park between the rivers, and you can walk out to the exact point where the two huge rivers merge. They're different colors, and you can see a line stretching off into the distance; on one side the water's black (the Ohio) and the other's brown (the Mississippi).

It's not really very far from you; you should check it out.

Of course, in your area you could get some good picks at Kentucky dam, or the 1800's village near there, or the floodwall in Paducah (a great background!).

I kind of figured you were talking about the Ohio and Mississippi, I've been down there a few times before. I've got a good photographer and a few ideas on locations. Sounds like you are familiar with the area?

MrLeghorn said:
I like your mock up and the Spaceliner frame. I look forward to watching this build.

FL

Thanks...its gonna be a trip! I am picking up some more parts today and should have a roller, maybe even a rider, by the weekend!!!

Sweet build so far, glad to see another spaceliner frame in the mix!!!

Not much of an update on the bike, although I made leaps and bounds in my home remodel this weekend! I got the bottom bracket adapter installed and began the chrome polishing process. Hopefully tonight I'll get my 1" Threadless headset installed and the fork perma-mounted. I'll take updated pics this evening.

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - Know why I hate Chrome?

Know why I hate chrome? Because polish polish polish polish polish. I've used everything from aluminum foil to Chromax to brass wire brushes. Do they work? Yep. Does it still suck? Yep. But she's shining up very nicely! Pics tomorrow.

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner-Know why I hate chrome? 5/14

Critter1 said:
I'm sure its looking great!

My other issue with chrome is that it never looks "good" until you finish polishing it. So it looks cool and patina'd when you start, but from the time you start polishing to the time you finish is the time that your bike looks its absolute worst. Oh well, gotta do it.

I hate chrome because painting over it lends itself to mixed results, but mostly, non-adherance over time.

yoothgeye said:
I hate chrome because painting over it lends itself to mixed results, but mostly, non-adherance over time.

This too. Which is why I decided to polish. I figure this frame will get built up multiple times over the next several years, so I might as well do it once and do it right.

Re: goob's RRBBO-8 build- Raceliner - 5/15 Polished & Crank Fit!

Got about half of the polishing done. I still hate it but its looking nice so far. Couldn't wait any longer to test fit the Cook Brothers Racing Crankset and big Sugino 54t ring!!

04438700-C475-471D-9A92-7F66DE3149AB-22850-00000E6800E1F69B_zpsf0ef6efc.jpg

Nice!
When I started cleaning and polishing Flexy last year, I didn't notice it at first, but part of the frame still had an old clearcoat. Once I got that off, it cleaned up much easier.

kingfish254 said:
Nice!
When I started cleaning and polishing Flexy last year, I didn't notice it at first, but part of the frame still had an old clearcoat. Once I got that off, it cleaned up much easier.

This is what I'm struggling with, but a brass wire brush drill attachment is working wonders for the old clearcoat.

socratesjpt said:
I am using t-fal paint striper it took the clear coat off good and fast
It looks like you will have the shinny one this year I found some pretty bad rust on mine I have to go in another direction , or do a frame change

supergoob said:
Got about half of the polishing done. I still hate it but its looking nice so far. Couldn't wait any longer to test fit the Cook Brothers Racing Crankset and big Sugino 54t ring!!

Dude, that crank set rocks!! It looks awesome on that chrome frame

I'm still goofing around with the clearcoat on my Spaceliner 2 years later :lol:
Some suggested aircraft stripper, It's too stinky for me so I used a razor blade :roll:

What size BB did you use to help clear the big chainring?
Mine was tight at 52teeth

I can't wait to see you pull this bike together :D

Sorry for the lack of updates here, I've been on an extended memorial day vacation and haven't been fooling with the old bikes much in the last couple weeks. I'll get back in the saddle this week and make stuff happen!

socratesjpt said:
I am using t-fal paint striper it took the clear coat off good and fast

I thought about this, still may give it a whirl in the tighter areas. For the most part the brass wire drill attachment has done fine.

MplsCoaster said:
Dude, that crank set rocks!! It looks awesome on that chrome frame

I'm still goofing around with the clearcoat on my Spaceliner 2 years later :lol:
Some suggested aircraft stripper, It's too stinky for me so I used a razor blade :roll:

What size BB did you use to help clear the big chainring?
Mine was tight at 52teeth

I can't wait to see you pull this bike together :D

Thanks! Every bike needs to have that wow factor and something special and for this bike its definitely the Cook Brothers Racing crankset, which by itself is probably worth more than the rest of the build combined. I was so stoked to find it, especially after seeing what some of those cranksets bring!!

As for BB spindle length, I'm really not sure what I used as I just had it sitting around. I'd say its at least a 120mm spindle, as its got to clear the BB shell as well as the adapter. I have yet to tighten the crank arms down so there is a good chance that the spindle may be too short. I guess we will see!

Anything new going on with your liner?

dude love the rims!!! there just awsome

kingfish254 said:
Anything new going on with your liner?

Not so much on the liner, but getting TONS of work done on the house my fiance and I just bought! I've got the bulk of my parts together, I'll pull her together just in time...hopefully!

jats said:
dude love the rims!!! there just awsome

Same rims that I run on my carbon road bike :lol:

Latest posts

Back