good deal on a varsity?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to find something I can ride to work without being absolutely dead from cruising on my 60-70pound single speed cruiser and found this on craigslist... http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/1200594936.html I am not completely sure if the size will be right for me because im 6' tall but he said he would go down to $75....have looked around and cant really find any comparables that list the selling price so have no idea if this is a good deal or not. suggestions?

If you can find a schwinn circuit, tempo, premis, or prelude you will see that these bikes are lighter than that heavy varsity. these bikes were made around 87-90. they are also very light. I just sold my premis a bout a year ago for 100.00. also have nice component group.

The mid 80's-90's LeTour is chromoly also. I have one, it's like 4.5 lbs with nothing on it. Came with all Suntour/Shimano/Sugino.

The weight difference will be worth the extra money in my opinion, you'll have a bike that you can ride for longer distances before getting fatigued. Also, I think the Varsity might be a bit small for you, I have the same one (same color and size 8) ) and it fits my 5' 7" body properly. For what it's worth - I rarely ride mine and it's the least favorite of my road bikes, it will go to craiglist one of these days.

If you can hold out for a lighter bike, you might find something with an chromoly frame and alloy rims, it will serve you much better as a commuter. I built this Crossroads for commuting use, I found it in rough shape at a pawn shop for $20 and gave it a makeover.

cross_05.jpg

N8NBOX said:
aren't the world sports made in taiwan?

Yes, I believe Giant made most of them. Great bikes. This Trek would be well worth scraping together some extra funds, but it was way down the list and probably was already sold...

Latest posts

Back