Good new cruisers under $200

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering what some good cruisers can be had under $200 because i want a bike to learn to ride on thats new. I was looking at the schwinn windwood/legacy but They get terabble reviews for quality I know I shouldnt be expecting alot at that price but what are good for $200- ?

People seem to like those op cruisers from wally world, aluminum frame with bottom end parts but they should last a good while as long as the hubs hold up.

According to most "reviewers", all coaster bikes and cheap bikes in general are all trash. If your benchmark is $500-$5000 flyweights, then even Electras and Felts will not meet the mark. I bought a Windwood which I ran with a weed-whacker type motor kit for a while, and now use as a secondary pedal-bike, I'm 180 lbs. It's still working fine, go through the bearings before going very far. All the newer coaster hubs are pretty much the same, full-bore slam pedaling by an adult can break them.
bike%202%20047.jpg

Handle bar replaced w/larger version
Wacky stock pedals replaced w/mtb type.
EZ bolt-on mount for pannier rack incorporated w/round reflector on fender mount
Bulldog brake, Cat-eye light, cheap bell added

Gooey dirty blob replaced with actual grease
Sheet metal and WW balloons replaced w/small 65 lb black walls

i agree with deo, and i think most reveiwers are bought off by the expensive bike companies. and theres nothing wrong with a "cheap" bike, would you rather sit on the couch wishing you had a $5000 bike or be out riding a $5 frankenstein bike pieced together from the trash? sorry, i get defensive about my cheapies! :D i dont know enough about your needs to know what to recomend ( i read your other posts),in the meantime, nothin wrong with your trike. :wink:

So you would recomend the windwood/legacy just spend the left over money on new bearings and pedals?

On another note im not knocking cheap bikes from when i was 8 until last year i was riding a 1960's 20' trike made from junk parts I just want something fresh to learn on.

I think i just might buy the legacy then.

Between the legacy and op roller im going to go with legacy.

Well, before my computer decided it was nap time, I was gonna say just check them for "clean and greased", and that none of the cages got deformed during assembly. Any cheap kids bike in the trash from the past 30+ years or so is likely to have the same ones. The stock pedals work ok, but I suspect they wouldn't be hard to break against the street :? , plus they're just plain ugly. :p
Is the Legacy a geared model?

I bought my girlfriend a walmart delmar schwinn, all pink and pretty :p but while I was there I decided to buy the blue mens delmar also. they were onsale for $89 couldnt go wrong... I read all the reviews also lot of people complain but if you really read them all they complain its to hard to pedal or it was damaged in shipping.... thats not the bike thats cause there a dumbarse and bought a single speed thinking it will be like there 21 speed mtn bike. I took them all apart my self and packed I wont say repacked cause there was no grease in the wheels, coaster, headset or cranks, mine makes a little noise in the rear hub but then again its a $90 bike ive taken the hub apart twice now and re greased it its quiet for about 20ft after then its back im guessin its just the cheap hub but my girls is totally fine she loves it rides it everywhere. Ill probably eventually lace a shimano hub into it. I got a couple Electras and various other bikes of course I like riding my electra single speed more but its more comfortable but is also cost more then 3 times as much. Id def recommend buying a walmart schwinn perfect bike to start on.

edit: oh ya forgot I did regear both of them, I put a 21 tooth sprocket out back instead of the 18 to make it easier to pedal, id recommend it.

my 2 cents

Ty

i wasnt accusing you of being down on the cheap bikes, just whining in general. :lol: in my area, kmart sells the windwood and walmart sells the cranbrook. i dont know if ones better, the cranny is cheaper but that may be just the differance between the stores. i personally love the cantilever cruiser style of both bikes, but i would go for the roller myself. thats just me.

Imo it's the frame that makes the bike...everything else can be replaced. I have two bikes, one is a aluminum frame schwinn ruler and the other steel frame huffy cranebrook. They are both made in china but the welds on the schwinn seem a lot nicer and cleaner than on the huffy. Also another factor is the geometry of the bike...I myself is always battling between comfort and style, but as I get older comfort is starting to over rule things

deorman said:
Well, before my computer decided it was nap time, I was gonna say just check them for "clean and greased", and that none of the cages got deformed during assembly. Any cheap kids bike in the trash from the past 30+ years or so is likely to have the same ones. The stock pedals work ok, but I suspect they wouldn't be hard to break against the street :? , plus they're just plain ugly. :p
Is the Legacy a geared model?
No its a basic one but review are horrible complaining about the rear bearings/locking. im actually thinking about the windwood a simialair model with a rear rack. It doesnt have many reviews at all.

Tychevelle said:
I bought my girlfriend a walmart delmar schwinn, all pink and pretty :p but while I was there I decided to buy the blue mens delmar also. they were onsale for $89 couldnt go wrong... I read all the reviews also lot of people complain but if you really read them all they complain its to hard to pedal or it was damaged in shipping.... thats not the bike thats cause there a dumbarse and bought a single speed thinking it will be like there 21 speed mtn bike. I took them all apart my self and packed I wont say repacked cause there was no grease in the wheels, coaster, headset or cranks, mine makes a little noise in the rear hub but then again its a $90 bike ive taken the hub apart twice now and re greased it its quiet for about 20ft after then its back im guessin its just the cheap hub but my girls is totally fine she loves it rides it everywhere. Ill probably eventually lace a shimano hub into it. I got a couple Electras and various other bikes of course I like riding my electra single speed more but its more comfortable but is also cost more then 3 times as much. Id def recommend buying a walmart schwinn perfect bike to start on.

edit: oh ya forgot I did regear both of them, I put a 21 tooth sprocket out back instead of the 18 to make it easier to pedal, id recommend it.

my 2 cents

Ty
Ya i was thinking of getting it and re gearing/hub.

Latest posts

Back