Goodrich Clunker (done and updated 11-20)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laced the rear drum to a rim(had to order). Lacing this time was easier. Probably not good enough for a road bike but good enough for me. I also cleaned the inside of the drum surface and scuffed up the brake pads.

1007071337.jpg

1007071312.jpg

Look I got a skip tooth combo cluster.

1007071328.jpg

Derailer mounted

1007071321.jpg

Next will be a recover on the seat and a hunt for a seatpost. I bought a cheap Varsity for the cranks and seat post but the seat post is stuck.

Here is the seat I hope to recover. Started tonight with some vinyl that stretches but seems to be difficult. Couldnt get the springs off and staple gun doesn't fit every where. I am also using some spray adhesive that help in some of the difficult spots.

1007071423.jpg

1007071422.jpg

Hopefully I will get this done in the next day or so. I will be gone for over a week on a little hunting trip.

cman wrote

Here is the seat I hope to recover. Started tonight with some vinyl that stretches but seems to be difficult. Couldnt get the springs off and staple gun doesn't fit every where

vinyl can't lay over that many curves...sorry you would need to sew on a seat like that. If however you are using vinyl that can strech in all 6 directions you could place it on. Try and use a little heat from a hair dryer :D or heat gun.....but be carful not to put too much heat or you will wreck the vinyl. the other thing you should do to make this work is to place your spray glue on both the seat and vinyl. alow this to tack up...heat your vinyl then strech it on :)

you really need to remove the springs in order to staple...try some penatrating oil.. good luck feel free to ask more questions

FW

Kingpin, There are new drums made by S/A Sturmey Archer. As for old ones who knows. The Dutch use them alot because they aren't affected by the wet weather.

armandgil- Thanks - your Columbia was the kickstart to doing this bike.

Firewalker- thanks for the tips. The nuts loosen but there is no way to put a wrench on the back side so they get part way loose. The rear corners are glued enough it can do without staples until I get the rear trim piece back on. I am having problem with too much material on the front point.

The Vinyl does stretch in all directions. I bought extra, so I will probably use this first as a trial to figure out the stretching order. Then make it pretty the second try.

I tried to talk my wife into sewing it for me and she said she would sew anything but that. If this doesnt' work then I will find another seat and save this for later. I also thought about trying to spray on the rubber tool grip

Not much progress, as I have been away. Purchased new tandem brake cable and housing to make it back to the rear drum. The brakes work fairly well though disc would be sweet.

Mostly done just need to finish the seat covering, derailer cable and find a seat post.

Took it out for a ride and hit a trail or two. Fun ride -reminds me of my Rockhopper from 1989. I changed the name cause I realized it is actually a BF Goodrich frame that I mistakenly typed Goodyear in my original post.
1104071437.jpg

1104071451b.jpg

1104071450.jpg

Re: Clunker

2manybikes said:
Charlie Kelly, and the rest of the Marin County gang would be proud. :)

There is a pic from his website I am going to re-inact for some of the final pics-flannel and all.

Re: Goodrich Clunker (namechange and pic updated 11-5)

I am done with the Clunker. I am pretty happy with the results. First mountain bike since mine was stolen 7 years ago :lol:

There are things I didn't get done(seat) but I learned lots. Laced two wheels, spread frame for 5spd rearend and a few other items.

So long and happy trails-----Finished thread w/pics and video
c3.jpg

Schwinnspastic said:
I think I clicked on a time machine with that short video...took me back to '75 and you know Marin wasn't the only place in the Bay Area
where clunkers ruled the dirt trail they just happen to get noticed.
Great representation of those early days of mountain biking...a time of fun and pain as someone always got hurt on the ride , usually a head
injury as we wore no helmets and broken ribs were pretty common ...fun stuff Clancy enjoy the ride but hey wear a helmet .

Mark...a clunker surviver since 1975

Mark, Thanks for the comments. I had fun researching and collecting the parts.

P.s. I wear a helmet everday on my commute. These were to recreate the pics from Charlie Kelly's and Alan Bond's sites.

Man that is a nice bike!!! I like those front brakes too!!! I have an old 28 hole front brake that came off a Krate on an old Schwinn Phantom of mine. I'd like to change it out and use a 36 hole front brake like yours someday. Great bike and pics!!! Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back