Gotavan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I started riding bicyles when I was just a kid in kindergarten 1956, I still have that bike somewhere, girls 20" Hiawatha. I collect a lot of things, bikes tractors cars vans motorcycles, its my parents fault both are packrats.So I guess I'm the firstborn rat, I have 5 younger sisters. I rode bikes until I was 14 then I started on motorcycles, Rode a Harley to high school and got my first good job working at Honda Bobs, yeah I rode a hog and worked on the rice burners. In 1970 I bought a wrecked van for 50 bucks and just about lived in it. I wanted more power so I started using the chevy vans. I was still collecting old bikes all the time and when I bought an old farm I started hoarding every junk bike I could. The old barn was filled to the roof with a tangled pile of broken bicycles. I had an obsession with the bicycles and started riding every day year round. Did some bike tours and races, really enjoy the bike marathons this year is my 15th 24 hour challenge my best was 247 miles. For the last 32 years I have been a tool & die maker , I have 3 children and 3 grandkids. My grandson wants a chopper, and he has to help build it. I have been working a lot of overtime last few weeks so I have been neglecting my RRBO bike. still reading this? I ll put in a couple pics...
goinghome.jpg

self piloting one of my vans home from the NATS , there was a picture of my ratty van in truckin magazine.Ya its that rusty!
vanline.jpg

some of my vans, this was at my old place the bicycle barn in back I had to move so i gave away over 200 bicycles. I went on a van buying binge and now have 14 gm vans 3 ford vans and 1 dodge a-100 pickup.
parade.jpg

I built this chopper last summer, and it causes a stir when ever I ride it.
hoist.jpg

on my annual DALMAC tour to the bridge I love this ride, this year I've signed up for the UP tour. I'm the one holding up my civilian schwinn. Its about 380 miles all good. Dan

Dan,
it's awesome to see someone follow their passions and dreams.

that was a great intro.

and when ever you are deciding to move another Barn,
please let me know if your going to give away
200 Chevy Vans this time!!!. :lol: :lol:

next to my passion for old Wagons and Panel Trucks..is Vans

I love the old Stubie Vans.
very cool,

peace,
Kev.

Hey, nice chopper, my buddy derek loves it man!! Props to you i dont think i could ride 100 miles let alone 300 sumthing Nice! hope 2 see some of ur collection.. TTYL

hey, gotavan. I got a van too, a 1969 econoline. I love it. I've always loved vans, especially those first chevy vans, I'd have to say my favorites are the sixties dodges. It's good to have another van guy around.

I could just about do another intro with the stuff I left out. Ya the Tool & Die is busy, 7 days a week going in at 5 am gets to be a drag at least theres not much traffic when I bike to work in the morning I am one of the old guys there, thurs I spent 8 hours welding a 14,000 pound roof casting there was a gap between my helmet and welding coat I cooked my neck...Yousa! I run most of the machines also, big cnc mills etc.
more historical photos...
texas.jpg

van I bought on ebay from texas, I have a hanger 50 X 80 and its just too small, also some old bikes hangin up there
wagon.jpg

Kev this is for you I had this wagon for 22 years, sold it last year on ebay.
econo.jpg

my first van, like new only one dent, the start of a great adventure. My Dad said " If you get in a wreck with this you'll be the first one there" It came true 4 years later with one of my chevys, crested a hill new years eve 1973 got nailed by a drunk.
crash.jpg

I didn't get a scratch, but my poor old van never recovered.
Am I boring you folks

No sir! I love ur vans, i think i want one.. I bet it would be pretty quick with a small block in it some nice rims jet black paint job black window tint oh yeah baby. Im gonna look into vans.

Keep talking Dan..

I love the Old stories and Picture..
I grew up listening to all those kinda stories of
Cars..Racing..Motorcycles..

and now it's my Passion..

Great shots''

I love the Wagon,
I'll try and dig up The pic of one my Dad had in the 60's

thanks Dan,
Kev.

Hey Dan, that is a great self portrait and a great intro. When are we going to have a FBMGL ride in Greenville so we can see your toys in person? Enjoy the ride...Kelly

Hey Dan, Your a lucky guy still having a job, my dad was with his company for 37 years they gave him a permanant layoff and kept guys with 2 and less years of seniority.. Your a lucky guy. Where exactly are u in michigan? im about 4 miles north of detroit.

I like your collection of vans. I have always wanted to own the pickups based on those vans. As Kev said, Let us know next time you move.

Clancy

Hope you find one Clancy, I have relatives out near you in Payette, and Nampa. I was all over the junkyards out there buying rust free van parts. I have only the one pickup, a Dodge A-100 1970. The only kind of pickup a full blown early van nut should have, fun to drive..
a100.jpg

I also have some albums on the various early van forums if ya want to see more pictures of my junk.
http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/gallery ... 5#94975986

3 pages of pics in here I haven't looked here in years??
http://groups.msn.com/vintagechevyvancl ... snw?Page=1

here's a Truck / Van that a Young guy from British Columbia Brought to an Anual Family Rod Run I go to
The Blossum Run...
He bought it..preped it himself
Painted it himself
and threw on a set of Torque Thrust II's and viola..

It was a killer little Ride he built for under $5000.00
I loved it!

blossumrun20060112.jpg

blossumrun20060113.jpg

It was neat talking to the guy because it was his First Build,
and he was all Shy and Humble...he was only about 23 years old..
He did a GREAT job for his first little Hot Rod Build!

peace,
Kev.

Oh lord, i want that black 34 in the back ground! its so nice, You got a pic of the 34 in the background?

ricksterr1221 said:
Oh lord, i want that black 34 in the back ground! its so nice, You got a pic of the 34 in the background?

Sorry Ricky,
I love them too..it's just that I see so many that another Photo is
a waste of my Memory card..
unless the builder has done something unique I like.

Beside..
I took over 500 Pictures that weekend..
another 34 wasn't on my list...peace,
Kev.

Gottavan, Thanks for the pic. I probably will never own one but just admire them. I have a 77' F-250 - one of the last great pickups ever built.

Let me know if you come out this way again.

Hey, I'm still here and I did the National 24 Hour Challege again this year. It was very hot, and I got sick late in the afternoon, but I kept on plugging away, and ended up with 182 miles. I did my last night loop on the monster chopper, 7.5 miles took me 45 min. I had changed the front sprockett for better gearing on the hills , but I switched the crank and the shorter crank arms hurt me.
grat24hr.jpg

7:30 AM I'm toast..

24hrbike.jpg

gettin punched final time.
Although I bicycle to work everyday and do a lot of riding, I am humbled by the animals that win this ride...... 18-24 year old did 380.2 miles on a FIXED gear. Winner was from Seattle 25-29 year old Chris Ragsdale 502.6 miles

Latest posts

Back