GREEN WITH ENVY 8/4 DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GREEN WITH ENVY
Yep Here we go....I am going to attempt to enter and finish a bike with less than one week till the end of the build off.
King fish, if you are watching please give any pointers you can, since beerrun was a one month build if I recall last year correctly.
Of course I do not expect to one up or even come close to that bikes persona but just to finish a bike in short order.
Here is the candidate as it was on the day it came home:

Manufacturer-unknown
Model-unknown
Year-unknown
Price-$15
Condition-BASKET CASE
Reason I bought it- The truss rod mounting tab

In the background is a 1967 Violet Scwhinn Stingray Fairlady in well worn but un molested condition.
I bought that bike the same day because I was going to turn around and sell it to a friend whose first customized bike started its life as that very make model color and year. He is currently tearing it apart and restoring completely. Instead of selling it to him, due to lack of funds, I ended up trading him for a set of wheels and tires along with a skip tooth chain and front sprocket.

John who gave the wheels and chain ring to me told me that the guy who sold them to him is notorious for "rebuilding" stuff and royally screwing it up. So he advised that I look into rebuilding the hubs before using them. I tore apart the rear and found that it had been recently greased with what looked and felt like never-seieze and 10w30! I also found that the discs were put in in a non alternating fashion (randomly) and that the small piece of spring steel that locks into the cone was missing the tab. Hey who needs brakes right?!?!
So I cleaned up all the parts in a bit of degreaser and started rummaging through the pile of random pieces that I got awhile back as a lot of rear hubs from a member here (sorry but name currently escapes me).

And low and behold I found that one piece that I needed amongst all the other stuff I have no idea what I will use it for.

Amonst the pile of parts I also found a matching pair of pedals, well almost matching. One of them had no blocks and the other only had one.

So I removed the one lonely block and now we have a matching pair.

Here is a shot of the rear drop outs and the serial number. If anybody knows how to date this or the manufacturer please let me know.

I will be replacing the old screws with new ones that move freely and adjust easier. Currently the seat sissy bar and seat post have been removed along with the racing handle bars that were given to a neighbor who thought they were cool. The neck and fork however are still giving me fits as they just DO NOT want to seperate. I have tried-heat pb blaster hammers wrenches more heat more blaster and more beating with even bigger hammers and they just won't give up. I may just throw in new bars and grips and run it the way it is now but eventually I need to get the mounting tab off so it can go to its originally intened home on my 47 Dayton. As far as paint- no plans. My original posting in the bike id section was titled green with envy due to all that it lacked as far as function and form. My goal here is to make functional and fit but not givce it too much of an ego boost.
More to come later.

Re: GREEN WITH ENVY

Hard to beleive, but you aren't the only kwazy wratter to join so late in the game.
Welcome aboard.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!!
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!!!!

Green cleans up a little and gets a grip on life....

Cleaned up the BB today all nice and grease and goober free

Looks like the original color of the bike may have been white or maybe it was primed white at the factory and then done in a different color depending on model but either way there are still remnants of white inside the BB

I was going to use a set of apes on this build but then I spotted a piece of 3/4" EMT and thought 'Heh why not go true rat style and "run what ya got"?'
It didn't fit snuggly so figured I could shim that to fit.
Place bar in middle and mark either side of goose neck-

Once its marked, remove

and wrap with electrical tape

Once Thats done slide into place tighten the nut and install other grip
I decided to go with these brown Hunt Wildes

I originally was going to repack the head bearings but I still can not remove the neck from the fork!!!!! So for now I will for go that and concentrate on the other stuff. I may use the truss mount for a head light or may make truss rodds for this bike. Time will tell.

You could make them even smaller if you cut your grips in half.

Welcome to the Jungle!! Nice frame and it looks like you are off and running. Peace

Rollin on 24s

Got the rear hub shell cleaned yesterday

I found that the easiest way to clean inside a hub is this 1inch plumbers fitting brush

The internals were all cleaned a couple days ago and are now ready to go in the newly cleaned hub

All reassembled (as always, udall's hub how to's are so helpful) and ready to put the New Departure Model D back on the bike

Ready to roll

Skippy chain ring installed

Almost a rider, chain installed along with blockless pedals

Now its time to find a seat and change out the chain adjusters but first a lil house work and then its off to scrounge for a seat at a friends stock pile.

Re: GREEN WITH ENVY 8/2 Rollin on 24s

Excellent work thus far!

Bike looks really good. 8) :D

Looking sharp!
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!

Well I just got back from getting a seat..... And well I paid more than anticipated and also a couple items I wasn't planning on. :?
Originally there were going to be NO fenders, but John had no use for a set of 24inch fenders off a girls 46 Hawthorne so he asked if I needed any. I said no but then he said I only ask because these have about the same amount of patina as your bike, and I said well I didn't plan on any but lets check em out and see.

I tried them on the bike and they will fit without too much trouble but thats not the look I wanted. But I left them there as we talked and I realized I HATED them. HATED them so much because they worked so well. I went over for a seat and was buying fenders I didn't want. So I asked about his stash of seats, he pulled out a couple that would be ok. I bought one then was looking for posts and spotted his one and only lucky 7. He bought it welded to a seat just for the post but also fell in love with the seat. He made me a deal I could not pass up, but if I ever want to get rid of the seat and or post he gets first shot at them.

So I left with fenders I didn't want and two seats, one of which I don't even have a use for right now. When I got home I snapped this mock up for y'all.

Re: GREEN WITH ENVY 8/2 I'll be sitting in the lap o' luxury

So it looks like the break down of the parts on this bike are going to be:
Frame-
Year- 1955
Manufacturer- Huffman
Size- 24 inch boys
Paint- Unknown green
Fenders-
Year-1946
Manufacturer- Hawthorne
Size- 24 inch girls
Paint- Original patina'd white
Tires-
Size-24 x 2.125
Brand- Golden Dragons
Color- Gray
Bars- 3/4" EMT conduit
Grips- Brown Hunt Wildes
Drive Line-
Chain- Skip tooth
Rear Hub- New Departure Model D
Front Hub- New Departure Model W

Got up this morning and mounted the fenders, installed the seat, tightened everything up and took GREEN for its maiden voyage!
Being 6foot tall and riding a 24 inch frame it was a little cramped but the biggest thing to get used to is the narrowness of the bars. It should be a fun rider though. Took a few shots by the local hospitals fountain before the storm rolled in. So here you go, enjoy......

Once the weather clears, I will go out and get some more shots.

Simple..I likes. Do you have any problems with the seat hitting/rubbing the fender at all? It looks close,I have had these problems in the past-But then again I'm 220lbs.Great work.
-Kreep-

Simple..I likes. Do you have any problems with the seat hitting/rubbing the fender at all? It looks close,I have had these problems in the past-But then again I'm 220lbs.Great work.
-Kreep-

The back bracket for the springs under the seat is actually right against the top of the fender. So far everything is holding fine and I'm also 60lbs less so time will tell. In the long run though I don't think it will be that big of a deal, the post is an original lucky 7 solid post, it should hold up.

Latest posts

Back