GT Avalanche 1.0 Mountain Bike

Discussion in 'KLUNKERS & MOUNTAIN BIKES' started by FreddyS, Apr 7, 2018.

1. FreddyS

FreddyS

Don’t know a whole lot about mountain bikes but came across and I thought it was a good deal. Needs front brake cable and could use a chain. Straight body and tight hubs.

Anyone know anything about this bike?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us56456712, Chad T and horsefarmer like this.
  2. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Hydraulic disc brakes better suspension fork and thumb shifters! Much better than a big box bike!

3. FreddyS

FreddyS

Thanks. Gonna put a mountain bike saddle on it and replace front brake cable and chain. Should clean up nicely. It was a pricey bike new.

horsefarmer likes this.
  4. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

2012 GT Avalanche 1.0
    Factory Description
    GT's Avalanche 1.0 tackles off-road action with its light, nimble butted-aluminum frame and 100mm-travel RockShox suspension fork. Together they deliver speed, confidence and control no matter how rooty and rocky the trail gets. Complementing the sweet frame and fork is a hill-flattening 30-speed Shimano drivetrain with an XT rear derailleur and sure-stopping Avid disc brakes. GT provides their durable wheels with Maxxis tires for sure-footed grip when it counts, too.

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gt/avalanche-1-0--2012

http://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/xc-hardtail/gt/avalanche-1-0.html

5. 93EXCivic

93EXCivic

I am pretty sure those are hydraulic brakes so there won't be a brake cable to replace. Probably need to bleed the brakes.

6. FreddyS

FreddyS

The front brake is toast and to replace is is expensive. Back brake works fine. Gonna slap a cable brake on the front if I can.

7. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    I have had several GT mountain bikes. I only have one now. If you like it you might be able to replace the brakes with Avid 6 bolt mechanical disc system ($66 for a set of two rotors and calipers from eBay). These are 160mm units but are light and work. You can probably find one but you will need a different lever.