Guitarl's Rat Ranger Pickups

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ok so I'm not a mechanic by any means but I am an old school carpenter, and those guys think they can do anything... So I picked up a pickup, so my youngest could drive the 98' Ranger I already have and be safe. I meanwhile will be driving and working on this 97' I just got for 600 bucks...
ranger.jpg

it needs tires bad and those rims gotta go.
Today I am on the search at the salvage yard for some decent steel rims...

Carl.

Day 2
39a8c15c2539ebaf141aee5f87b90ef8.jpg

DSC01054.JPG

Steel rims from an 02 Mitsubishi Galant
4 matching General arctic tires with
really good tread mounted, & not shown
1 Pioneer super tuner CD player
200 bucks even at the salvage...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Last edited:
I believe a nice bike shop name in an oval on the doors, kinda washed out like it's very old would look pretty cool.
Truck could use a new tailgate too. The outside of the gate and the driver's side rear quarter must've been next to a big fire. It's burnt and the top of the tail light lense is burnt too. Then someone rattle canned flat black over the whole truck which was black in the first place, and it's peeling on the burnt areas. I may try to buff it all out and then green scruffy pad the whole thing. I think that might blend it all to an acceptable rattiness... Theres some checking in places that might like a little red rubbed into them too... Right now it looks like a crispy critter.

Carl.

Love the idea of the bike shop logo and the scrubbed back paint!

Luke.
Thanks. It's like halfway to the look I want, that classic flat black weathered rat. I'd like to do a few things to it eventually, hood ports, grill treatment, something post apocalyptic. I've been looking at cab visors too. How about a length of barb wire tacked onto the leading edge?

Carl.

I've been looking at cab visors too. How about a length of barb wire tacked onto the leading edge?

Carl.
Sounds dangerous!

Can you fit a visor to that body? Looks like the door covers the A pillar, can the mounts fit behind the door and the door seal still work?

Luke.

I'm pretty sure some company makes a visor for these, keep an eye open next time you're at the scrap yard.
The Chrysler wheels work, also the Mazda B2000 is a clone of the ranger. All parts should be interchangeable.

Sounds dangerous!

Can you fit a visor to that body? Looks like the door covers the A pillar, can the mounts fit behind the door and the door seal still work?

Luke.
I'm pretty sure some company makes a visor for these, keep an eye open next time you're at the scrap yard.
The Chrysler wheels work, also the Mazda B2000 is a clone of the ranger. All parts should be interchangeable.
Yep. There's a couple for sure, Lund and Summit. Both are fiberglass and shouldn't be too hard to find in the salvage yards around here...
Today's fun...
ranger 001.jpg
ranger 002.jpg

Still need to get me some bolts...
I've been draggin' this eagle around with me for over 20 years. I'm pretty sure it's from a Kaiser that my grandfather had out in the barnyard.

Carl.

Last edited:
Got a MAJOR repair to do! At least it is for me and my basic skills. The rear leaf spring mounts are rusted off and the springs are pushing up against the bottom of the bed. Not the right way to get that low down stance... The correct mounts are reasonable, less than 120 bucks for all 4 (the fronts are pretty toasty too) And I've got the use of a real mechanics garage. But since my brother in law passed away a year ago, I'm on my own. I figure a couple jack stands and a floor jack and I'm good. I have an air chisel and a hand grinder, so I'm good there too. I'll be scanning the Google pages while I'm waiting for parts...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I had to replace these on my last ranger. We took the bed off, which made the job easier.
But I didn't have an air chisel, just an angle grinder. Those rivets are tough, but I think you'll be ok with the tools you have. Just unbolt the leaf springs, chisel off the rivets and bolt the new parts on and re attatch the leads.

I had to replace these on my last ranger. We took the bed off, which made the job easier.
But I didn't have an air chisel, just an angle grinder. Those rivets are tough, but I think you'll be ok with the tools you have. Just unbolt the leaf springs, chisel off the rivets and bolt the new parts on and re attatch the leads.
Yeah I don't think I want to lift the bed. The rear springs and the rusted smashed brackets are pushed up against the bed now...

Carl.

Wow, surprised by that amount of rust on a '97 model!

Luke.
yeah well they salt the roads around here in the winter snow and that just eats cars up. and it's got 172000 miles on it, probably never saw a carwash to get that salt off...

Carl.

sent from a phonebooth...

yeah well they salt the roads around here in the winter snow and that just eats cars up. and it's got 172000 miles on it, probably never saw a carwash to get that salt off...

Carl.

sent from a phonebooth...
That explains it!

Luke.

125 bucks and I've got all 4 hangers coming from Ebay.
Seems this might be a fairly common ailment on older Fords...

Carl.

I've been driving it with the rear springs rear brackets rusted off and against the bottom of the bed. This has got to be the original white trash lowrider look... Brackets came today, so now I have to make some time in my schedule to do this. Should be interesting, I'll take some pics...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back