"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my paint:

11319867696_89e8916eb3_z.jpg

11319889474_6e681a1ffb_z.jpg

Very happy with the blue, not quite so much with the orange, it is a shade or two off what i wanted, but it is about halfway between the seat vinyl and the decal colors so it works ok.

Luke.

Last edited:
Soon Pushie, soon! Much more riding and learning before I go too far...

Was going to try get the springs, lock tabs and maybe brakes done today, but my health got the better of me again, so hoping tomorrow to get them done! :thumbsup:

Luke.

you lucky man getting to live some were that never gets cold, Idaho gets cold = being lazy for me :(

Oh, it does get cold! Just not this time of year... We are expecting 40 degrees C later this week... (104 F) we get down to -5 C in winter (23 F) not anywhere near as cold as some of you guys but still too cold for me!

Luke.

Well I just switched out the 16 tooth rear for the 18 I bought a while back, huge improvement, gearing is awesome now! Went for a ride and really enjoyed it! :dance2:

One thing I have noticed is that it takes a huge amount of arm and core strength to hold it crossed up, maybe because of the fat and heavy rear wheel? Beginning to wonder if I really want to fit the springs up, they are only going to make it harder surely?

Anyone with experience both with and without springs can give me an idea here? :39:

Luke.

Luke i have zero experience in this but try the springs anyway you might be surprised . Besides its trial and effort to figure things out some times .

If you are going to be the only rider, I would think you'd be fine without the springs. However if you are going to let total novices ride, the spring option will be helpful in keeping them upright. I am assuming you never had them hooked up and now you can ride it fine??

Mine is pretty hard to keep crossed up for any distance too, but I haven't tried no springs.

I am assuming you never had them hooked up and now you can ride it fine??
Depends on your definition of fine! Nearly stacked it today, managed to ride it sideways into the long grass at the side of the road to wash off the speed I was carrying, lesson learned, FIT BRAKES! :blackeye:

Luke.

Wouldn't the springs stable it a bit more? I'm thinking its something you would have to get use to... Considering the tire is so wide on the back,have you thought to put a small monkey bike wheel on the front!! More weight and better width...
Never seen a swing bike so have no experience thr...

I very much prefer not using springs. Springs only get in the way in my opinion. Pinching leg-hair and such. They elimimate some of the fun free-floating feeling. They Look neat on a swingbike, but are not needed. A frame lock would be a good idea but I only use the locks for storing, transporting or carrying up and down stairs.

A vertical spring wouldn't pinch as opposed to the horizontal springs the originals came with.

If anyone is curious, training wheels do not work on swingbikes. On a 16" bike for my kids I tried putting them on the back, the front and both front and back. It was nearly impossible to ride.

A single spring helped them out in the beginning, but very quickly they learned and no longer wanted the spring.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, looks like I am out. :(

My health has been on the downward slope anyway but with my wife having dental issues, I am an absolute wreck at the moment. (Never mind the bank balance!) My wife also has health issues, so we basically act as each others carers.

I didn't get to sleep till 6am this morning trying to help her with the pain and then she had to wake me at 8:30 to call the dentist and get an emergency appointment, long story short she has just had a partial root canal done, has to go back next week for more work and then the root canal will get finished up at the main hospital in the new year.

With my health issues I have to get around 14 hours sleep a night most nights in order to have any chance of doing anything other than the daily requirements, so with all this going on I doubt I will make any progress and very unlikely to finish in time. The bike will get finished but it will happen after all this settles out...

Looking forward to seeing more on all your builds, still spend quite a bit of my time on here, so more than happy to set up the voting threads and the like! :grin:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back