"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good news Luke, sorry to hear that mate,was looking forward to seeing the finished product...

You still will Funk, just have to wait a little longer than expected. There is a possible upside though, it gives me more chance to practice riding it before the final videos go up! Might actually be able to do some tricks!

Luke.

I guess losing the pressure of the deadline allowed my brain to start thinking again. Came up with a way to fit the springs and also the discbrake swing lockout suggested earlier, combined in with the raised and moved back seat also suggested earlier:

11416652643_e8dcbd4a3f_z.jpg

The springs will not be grabbing my leg hair! I have a small 140mm disc set up I can use for the locking, so it wont poke out past the sides of the seat. The little thing on the back behind the sissy bar is a numberplate mount that will have a Gulf sticker on it probably... Should be good for tricks with the locking swing mechanism, does mean I will no longer be running a front brake though, too many levers!

Luke.

No way! I thought you were a lock for first place. Sad to hear you pull the pin. Hope prayers are appreciated, get healthy my brother it's the beginning of summer! Peace.

Carl.

Is that a spring on the back to the sissy bar? Slick.

Yep! Reversed the springs to put them behind the rear pivot, will work the same but gets them out of the way.

Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts!

Luke.

Take care yourself, Luke...I fought bad teeth for years and spent way too much on crowns and failed root canals, finally went for dentures.. It is nice to not have the constant problems anymore....Make sure the work they want to do for our wife is not going to fail in 6 months like all of mine did.
Back to the bike.....One of the contenders for sure but it is still a winner contest or no. I'm not sure the geometry on your spring will do enough, the end near the seat post needs to have its pivot as far away as you can get it so you have a lever arm trying to stretch the spring as it turns.
I don't think a tall sissy bar will lend itself to easy tricks....you want to be able to pass the bike under your legs in a hurry if a trick bombs....

Finally catching up...
Sorry to hear about the health issues,
Take care and get well soon

I really like the way you're thinking about the suspension for the seat, really innovative!

Best of Luck
Steve

Back to the bike.....One of the contenders for sure but it is still a winner contest or no. I'm not sure the geometry on your spring will do enough, the end near the seat post needs to have its pivot as far away as you can get it so you have a lever arm trying to stretch the spring as it turns.
I don't think a tall sissy bar will lend itself to easy tricks....you want to be able to pass the bike under your legs in a hurry if a trick bombs....
I think you are right DJ Bill, gone a bit further forward with the design now and made the springs more usable by moving them further out and removable along with the sissy bar, I figure if I make that whole section removable, in theory it should be possible to turn the back fork 180 degrees, hold on the bars and hold on locking brake lever behind you and ride it backwards... :13: One more crazy trick that may be possible due to the locking brake under the seat... ;)

Oh yeah, pretty sure Heidi will end up with dentures, bad family history of teeth crumbling early, just trying to put it off for a few more years, she is only 32...

Luke.

Well tried to make a day of working on the bike today. Started out trying to buy a washer to make into the brake disc mount on the seatpost, of course did not realise till I was in town that every nut and bolt/fasteners/hardware place was closed and has been since the 20th, and will be till the 6th of January!

Managed to find a washer that was close at a bigbox style hardware store (Bunnings) but too thin to tap threads in and too small outer diameter to match the mount holes anyway. Then I remembered that I have a holesaw the right size here at home and some 4mm (5/32) plate I could cut something out of, but by the time I got home after all that running around and dealing with holiday traffic my day was over anyway... :(

There is always tomorrow! ;)

Luke.

Latest posts

Back