"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it was one of those days! Had another one just like it today trying to find that hole saw, cant find it anywhere...
Just sat down at the computer and remembered that I do have that little hobby lathe my Dad gave me when I was working on BigJim! Doh! :headbang: Could have made my own mount and been much neater days ago...

So anyway, half an hour later I am machining that washer that was too small I bought a couple of days back:

11528610515_c200427570_z.jpg

Nice fit inside the washers I usually use for brake disc mounts:

11528609705_128425e6c3_z.jpg

Then machined a taper to allow for full weld penetration, and here is the finished product sitting in front of me at the computer ready to drill, tap and weld tomorrow:

11528724553_9a80d6b596_z.jpg

Finally some progress!

Luke.

Happy with the progress today! Here is the bike as it currently sits:

11544598533_153ff62c61_z.jpg

You may notice under the seat a small 140mm disc brake and calliper?

11544581536_9f2ba05cc3_z.jpg

11544498844_b8dffc3194_z.jpg

Got it done and fitted! It works great and looks pretty good too I feel!

Fits nicely up under the seat:

11544602953_b60ecc9723_z.jpg

I have got to say thanks to BikeBuilder for suggesting it back on page 11 of the build thread, it looks like it will give me everything I wanted locking and adjustability wise, without having to use springs!

I wonder if anyone will notice the other significant change to the bike that happened today in that first photo?

Luke.

All that is left to do now is remake the seat mounts, figure out some sort of kickstand, make the brake disc mount for the rear wheel, cable guides and weld on some name plates, then it is down to grinding, filing, sanding, priming, and painting, oh, and padding and covering the seat.

I might be back in the build-off, not getting my hopes up yet, but another good day or two and I just might make it!

Luke.

Looks like the front wheel is now a 20". I Like the proportions better.

That lock setup is coming along nicely too. I may have to actually try it myself sometime.

Merry Christmas!

Hey Luke, I'm just wondering... did you reverse the D brake so it releases when you grab the handles???

Carl.

I see you guys have almost figured it out!

Complete change on the front fork and wheel, went from a modern bmx style straight 16" fork to a vintage 60's muscle bike curved 20" with a 20" wheel in it. Figured seeing as I will no longer be using front rim brakes I can now paint the rim to match the rear and the 20 with the curved fork looks much nicer and more vintage.

Hey Luke, I'm just wondering... did you reverse the D brake so it releases when you grab the handles???

Carl.
I have been thinking on this Carl since the idea was first mentioned, but without major modifications which would take too long I can't see how to make it work. Thinking it may happen at a later date though, also considering a locking brake lever with the current set up...

Here are the two pics for fork/wheel comparison:

11417693554_f4099dea2e_z.jpg

11544598533_153ff62c61_z.jpg

That lock setup is coming along nicely too. I may have to actually try it myself sometime.
I hope you do BB! It seems it will work out really well and I can imagine that holding it crossed up for long periods will now be easy as pie, just hold the brake lever and lock it in that position!

Luke.

Couldn't resist, threw a brake cable on and took it for a ride...

If anything, now it is too easy! Hold the handle and ride it as easy as any normal bike, let it go and dial in some swing then lock it back on and ride it sideways, one handed, as long as you like!

Definitely no need for springs with this set up. Loving the new fork and front wheel combination too, self centres better and the bigger diameter rides over bumps better too! :dance2:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back