"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" BACK WHEEL DONE!

Very nice work luke. I would be interested in seeing you make your own hubs. Lots of cool engineering happening on this forum 8)

Rich

Re: "GULF SWING" BACK WHEEL DONE!

RichL said:
Lots of cool engineering happening on this forum 8)
Totally agree Rich! :D

Progress:
Been thinking on the rear triangle, and think I have it all sorted in my mind, but have not been well enough to get it happening as it will require a fair amount of work, so I decided today any progress is better than no progress at all and started work on the disc brake adapter for the rear wheel.

In the past I have drilled out spoke holes and welded nuts behind to bolt the discs to but have been working on a better way of doing it.

Started with some thick steel washers with an i.d. of 35-36mm. 1 for this build and the others for future projects, a thread tap and a drill bit:

10605133153_61d16ea17a_z.jpg

10604875985_0e12b2a4d4_z.jpg

10605003725_26854346fa_z.jpg

A perfect fit for placing over the hub against the small ridge allowing easy alignment when welding:

10605010894_23a36f65c3_z.jpg

Marked and center punched the disc mounting holes:

10604872895_651acbde58_z.jpg

Drilled with a 11/64ths drill bit and checked they lined up:

10604881224_bb1e65f00b_z.jpg

Tapped the threads with a 5mm metric thread tap and fitted the disc to do the final check:

10604867355_cd7379c57a_z.jpg

10605119613_dcbc070e6e_z.jpg

Very happy with the result! Still have to clearance the hub for the disc brake but this a big step out of the way...

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" New style disc brake mount.

Brilliant work again sir! Definitely going to have to steal this idea for a future build. :shock:

To bad you live halfway across the world we would have a heyday if you were my neighbor ha

bigfatcat said:
Brilliant work again sir! Definitely going to have to steal this idea for a future build. :shock:
Thanks BFC! It is much neater and simpler than the old method!

sic944t said:
To bad you live halfway across the world we would have a heyday if you were my neighbor ha
I can imagine, there would be bikes and parts of bikes everywhere! (I already do anyway!)

Won a used Thule roof-rack and bike carrier on eBay earlier today, going to go pick it up tomorrow so at least I will have some way of transporting this thing for pics! Last couple of times I have had to disassemble the bike, pack it in the car, drive to where we want to go, unpack and reassemble... Worst thing is, I like to go to 3 or more places for pics, ends up taking all day! :roll:

Luke.

Thanks Huffdaddy!

Just got back from picking up the roofrack and bike carrier, very happy! Dropped by a rural second hand shop on the way back, some very cool stuff, have to go back when we have more $$$'s. Coming back through town I remembered it was Saturday morning so dropped into the bigger dumpshop (only open weekends) and picked up a couple of parts bikes, one of which has the frame parts I wanted to simplify my rear triangle build, so should be some progress there before too long...

Luke.

A little stage prop I ordered for the photos arrived today from the U.S. now I just need to finish the bike!

10664178463_5689e04cf5_z.jpg

Been having some very gusty winds here lately, the type that mess with welding, it is mostly ok at the moment, so hoping to make some progress this afternoon!

Luke.

Started on the rear fork/triangle today. Decided to do it normal width to make sure it is all in line and then widen it to suit the big wheel, splitting it up into two seperate steps will make it easier to keep straight as I will not be building a jig for it.

Started with a mountain bike bottom bracket and the front section of tubes then welded that to a lengthened bmx triangle:

10666651986_4e7ce1480a_z.jpg

Then welded on the fork legs at the angle that seemed right after a quick mock up with a normal 26" wheel:

10666609045_1a01284e69_z.jpg

10666663944_d61491698c_z.jpg

Unfortunately doing it in two stages like this mean that I assumed the angle on the fork legs would give me the correct angle on the rear, and I think I have also found out why they never made 26" swingbikes:

10666859353_5df5e4b7a4_z.jpg

UGLY!

10666599875_e5478d9451_z.jpg

So, tomorrow I will be cutting off the fork legs, widening it and moving the fork stem further forward and much lower, should hopefully look a lot better! Not sure yet how that will affect the swing of the bike... :?

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" UGLY! UGLY! UGLY!

It ain't that bad man. For some reason the back triangle just doesn't want to match the rest of the frame IMO. Maybe it's just the bottom bracket section. Dunno. Thinking it may be the tubing size difference.

Re: "GULF SWING"

This is probably what I will do:

10669199743_56ef99375e_z.jpg

Moving the wheel back will allow the frame to come down a fair bit, you can see the angle change in the two red lines there. Just not sure what having the wheel further back will do regarding swinging...

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" Rear triangle/fork fixed!

Big day today, went to work on the rear end, happy with it now, still needs a little adjusting but at least it is looking good again!

I did not take pics as I went today as it was a big rush to get it done and I was not sure the results would be favorable anyway, but here is how it sit at the moment:

10686671564_57531d52f9_z.jpg

10686848643_5e598b2a0f_z.jpg

10686661924_07d585dda6_z.jpg

10686844213_db56cd9804_z.jpg

10686842063_30e9b376c3_z.jpg

As you can see it took a lot of cut and re-joins to get the result I was after, will still have to cut and re-weld the very top as it moved a bit and the whole wheel moved back and the chain stays are no longer level...

10686985863_bf6377d313_z.jpg

This modification will get the chain stays back level and will bring the whole rear triangle closer to the original swingbike angles, it will raise the back slightly, but I can live with that!

Very happy with today even with that mistake, starting to look the way I wanted it to! 8)

Luke.

Wow that made a lot of difference. With the seat supports mounted it should all flow perfectly. Glad it's looking better and you're feeling better about it. Gonna be a sick looking ride Luke. Nice.

Quite hot here today, so waited till 5:30pm to start work, cut the rear triangle off the fork stem to rotate it up slightly and then realised I would not be able to do all the lining up without my wife to hold it steady, as she was not available I moved on to the crank axle extension, got it split and sleeved, went to weld it up and ran out of gas in the welder... :roll:

10703813674_f4d93387c2_z.jpg

10704000723_1a1419c0ab_z.jpg

One of those days I guess... :lol:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Finally catching up on your progress, That's COOL!

Saw this sign about a week ago and had to take a pic. Haven't seen a Gulf Station for decades
Maybe they were going through cost cutting measures and had to take some off of the bottom :lol:
IMG_2940II.jpg

Good to hear you're getting the rear fork sorted
Looking forward to your next moves
Steve

Re: "GULF SWING" Out of gas...

Well I picked up some more gas yesterday but the weather has been windy or rainy or both since... My health has also been off, so no progress yet, hope to have some in the next few days, running out of time!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back