GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GUMBY RUMPUS ***** S'more Small details 6/14

Definitely one of my favorite bikes this year, kind of reminds me of Beetlejuice with the prison seat on it. :mrgreen:

220711384_640.jpg

Here is another tinker session ( I have today off WOOO HOOOO!! )

I bought both of these sweet Farmall Tractor lights off the bay ( both for $22 Shipped , cant go wrong! ).....
They looked real cool in the pics, and EVEN COOLER in person!! :shock:
When I opened them both up to see what I had to play with I was pleasantly surprised to find the second little red bulb thingy inside.
Immediately thought to myself....... "On-off- on" switch so I can toggle to either red or clear whenever I want! SO COOL!.....

well anyways, here goes.......

So you know the deal.....
mix and match... I liked one's insides better ,and the other lense , this n that , that trim ring , some junk bike parts outta my box o tricks blah, blah , blah......

( don't get too excited, that's just the reflection of the light in the basement :wink: )

What shall I ever power this awesome light with? HMMMMMmmmmmmm :?

Here is a teaser.......

My 99.9 year old Grandmother passed away just shy of a month ago ( She was 3 months shy of 100 ! )
We've been cleaning the house out etc....
And tucked in the little space/closet under the basement stairs , kindda like a shelter for the water heater ...... there it was......

( Ignore the million zip-ties . This is a mock up 8) )

It's gonna be my rechargeable RC car battery pack " hidey - hole " to power the headlight

The head light is mounted on parts of an upside down and backwards Messinger seat " guts"
( I plan to leave the springs functional and have them connected somehow to the fender mount area )
Still brain storming on that part......

Now I'm off to the fire station to ask them how to " safely" and " environmentally " discharge the extinguisher......
It is full and weighs roughly ..... about a GILLION pounds :shock:

Then I can hollow it out whatever lies inside ( gotta make room for batteries :D )
Wont know til It is empty ........

Still got some more goodies coming in the mail soon....
Stay tuned!

CCR said:
Definitely one of my favorite bikes this year, kind of reminds me of Beetlejuice with the prison seat on it. :mrgreen:

Dude!!!! That's Hilarious!! One of my favorite movies :mrgreen:
" Ya don't need to talk to Barbara. JUST SAY IT! " :lol:

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS ***** Playin with FYRE 6/17

Cool extras to a bike that looked great already.

kingfish254 said:
Cool extras to a bike that looked great already.

Thanks buddy :mrgreen:

Well , I went to the fire station today to ask about the extinguisher.( I realize I could just set the thing off into a trash barrel, but I don't know if its harmful to me or the environment. I figure its their expertise so i'll ask the pros )
Both fire trucks were gone out on a call and nobody answered the 4 different doors I knocked at. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
There are 7 different stations here in Chicopee so I'm not worried. I'll have better luck tomorrow. Not to mention the severe thunderstorm warning we had tonight. Nasty rain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride

Well after some simple research, looks like it's nasty stuff. Proper disposal of any chemical is necessary. If it's empty, just washing it should be OK.

This bike is really starting to click, keep it up! It's really flowin' together. 8)

Bike is looking great! You need to find a light like this one on my farmall for a tail light. Just the red one on top of the reverse light. Sorry for the blurry pic, but it was getting dark & I can't hold still. The lense on this one has fallen into the housing, but since I'm not on the interstate much I haven't fixed it yet. :lol: :lol: BTW your signature line is a lot like mine!

JoKeR63 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride

Well after some simple research, looks like it's nasty stuff. Proper disposal of any chemical is necessary. If it's empty, just washing it should be OK.

This bike is really starting to click, keep it up! It's really flowin' together. 8)

Yeah , when I brought it home a few weeks ago I did a google search. In no time I got the " nasty " gist :shock:
I found something mentioning they were ( before the recall in the 50's ) refillable. So my main reason for going to the
firestation was to ask if I can " un-fill" it by removing a cap and just pour it out . I figure it might be a little more controlled than
it atomizing if I were to conventionally discharge it.

Thanks ! I really like the flow of the bike too . I am happy with the progress so far :D
And now that I know they were recalled in the 50's it makes me want to use it ALL THE MORE :lol:
Recalls add to the cool factor in my eyes!!

:mrgreen:

pick said:
Bike is looking great! You need to find a light like this one on my farmall for a tail light. Just the red one on top of the reverse light. Sorry for the blurry pic, but it was getting dark & I can't hold still. The lense on this one has fallen into the housing, but since I'm not on the interstate much I haven't fixed it yet. :lol: :lol: BTW your signature line is a lot like mine!

That's a sick light ! Never saw one like It before. Your right that would be a great companion tail light! ( I've got a little somthin somethin comin in the mail soon that I hope works out ) .
If not, now I know what to search for 8) . Thanks man!
We must be long lost Siamese twins. Separated by PB Blast of course :wink:

All of us members should invest in the company that makes PB Blaster! :lol: :lol: Maybe it would help fund the addiction.

Yeah , I really did go to the fire station to talk to the experts.......

Yesterday I attempted STATION # 7, the 2 bays were empty ( small sub-station. 1 fire truck & 1 ambulance ). I knocked on a total of 4 doors and nobody was there. ( U-Haul truck is in the parking lot of the apartment building next door , not the fire station :lol: )

I went back today for another attempt. This time I ran into a police officer that was there just hanging out ( real nice guy , talked to him for 15 minutes telling him my story ) I asked him if there were any fireman there that I could speak to , we both peeked in the windows and again no luck. empty. ( I later found out they were out doing river rescue training exercises all day ).

So then I mosied to station # 5 to try my luck there

I rang the red doorbell out front ( yes , it really was red :wink: ) , I was greeted by a real cool fireman. We jibber jabbered out front of the station for about 5 minutes.
He was really helpful , right away he got on his smart phone and started checking into if for me.
Then he invited me into the station ( I felt like a kid on a field trip :lol: ) where he got out his code book and looked some more.
He found it to be filled with an UBER dangerous mega carcinogen. He called another fireman on the P.A. to come downstairs ( Unfortunately he used the stairs and not the pole :roll: )
The book said that 10 parts per million is considered a dangerous exposure ( I asked him to " 'splain Lucy!? )
"Imagine a million balloons filled with it, If 10 popped you'd die basically" , he said. :shock:

They were MORE THAN HELPFUL !! I showed them the pictures of the bike in my digital camera ( brought it with me just in case I had to prove why and how )
They thought it was so cool that I was using the extinguisher in such a manner. I told them that I'd bring the bike by when its complete.
They both said that they'd love that I do bring it by :mrgreen:

I was there for about 45 minutes. They suggested that I bring it to the extinguisher service place in West Springfield , Ma to be emptied.

Moral of the story.........

If its THAT dangerous .......

Then HECK yeah I'm gonna use it on my bike!!! ( " ANYTHING GOES !! " , right? 8) )
The cool factor is skyrocketing on this extinguisher!!

Now im getting info on the extinguisher place........

Stay tuned.......

Hey, the first pic is on Grattan St. My father (RIP) was a lieutenant there 60 yrs. ago......50 years. ago, when I was 10, he let me slide down the fire pole in there.

Well I'm still gonna' call at least a partial " BAM! " on this one. It's good to know they had some answers for you, and knew of a place to check on disposal. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg!

My own knowledge of CT comes from seeing a clear red light bulb looking affair filled with liquid that was hanging from a ceiling and looked very old. After some research it turns out it was an early "sprinkler system" fire prevention apparatus. Bad news was it only sprinkled death. I can't for the life of me remember where I seen it though.............................

KOTA said:
Hey, the first pic is on Grattan St. My father (RIP) was a lieutenant there 60 yrs. ago......50 years. ago, when I was 10, he let me slide down the fire pole in there.

Small world! Yep , that's Grattan St. :D

JoKeR63 said:
It's good to know they had some answers for you, and knew of a place to check on disposal. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg!

LukeTheJoker said:
Love that extinguisher! :shock:
Awesome!

Luke.

I've been playin phone & email tag with the fire extinguisher company to get this thing emptied 8)
I'm not discouraged yet!
Who could imagine something so small could be so deadly AND SO DARNED COOL!

You might also contact your city and see if they have a municipal hazardous waste disposal program.

Lookin great... :shock:
I have a ole extinguisher on my 39' wards,it was empty and had been sitting outside for years...
I just angel grinded the top off... No explosions :lol:
They make great tanks :wink:
here's a pic,I mounted it with ole leather straps...

kim_dude said:
You might also contact your city and see if they have a municipal hazardous waste disposal program.

Funkme said:
Lookin great... :shock:
I just angel grinded the top off... No explosions :lol:
They make great tanks :wink:

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:
I'm not worried about explosions as it is not under pressure. It's a pump device full of a major carcinogen ( carbon tetrachloride ).Google it.
Liquid cancer in a pretty brass wrapper :shock:
I'm just being extra cautious.
After a few emails with the extinguisher company ( she said she was unable to open my picture files as they were too large ) I've decided to bring it to them in person on my next business day off ( this coming Tuesday )..........

So I started to tinker on other small things on the bike to keep a forward momentum.
With the extinguisher still full & the chain guard that I have coming in the mail still not here .......

so in the meantime I've moved to the rear of the bike to get a few things accomplished..........

Stay tuned.....
:wink:

Do you see what I see??.......

It may appear to be just a junk old Ford starter ( I found it under the bench in my late grandfathers shed ).....
But I see a real cool tail light base in the raw :wink:

I bought this box of junk pieces of 1928-1931 Ford Model A tail lights off ebay..... Nothing complete , just random parts, no sockets , wires , NOTTA ...
( I like working with junk and making something from nothing , Hence my user id :lol: )

I love the great lines of this , great starting point ( pun intended! )

Time to grab some tools and get outside!

Strap her down.....

1st rough cut....

This will be the perfect shape to conceal the bulb sockets in...
I'm really liking how its shaping up 8)

Time to trim off the funky flange shape and clean up the cuts......

snip , snip , snip!

Still more tinkering and trimming to be done......

Stay tuned :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back