GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Update 7/3 *** 6 volts!

8)

A number of days ago I had mentioned that I shelved the extinguisher and had a few pokers in the fire.........

Well , I had the idea to keep trying and change my strategy...... :D

Instead of disposing of the Carbon Tetrachloride , I decided to find someone who could use it for the other professional uses. It is used for metal degreasing and cleaning purposes. So I know a mechanic that uses old school techniques.....
He safely emptied the extinguisher into a glass jar , all for the awesome price of " you empty it for me and you can keep the Carbon Tetrachloride " . He agreed
:shock:

After having it for a few days , he returned it to me. Bone dry! ( Not only was I shocked that he really did empty it , but how much lighter it felt )

Empty , pre-gutted :D

Then I got to work getting it hollowed out to fit the batteries inside :p

Started by getting all the valves and stuff out ( I was nervous , but I got over it pretty quickly )

Out with the piston.....

The point of no return!
Broke out the 2 1/8 hole saw to see what makes this thing tick :wink:

Then after about 40 minutes of jousting , poking , cutting , nipping, prying , banging , drilling , yanking , and tugging ( all while trying to carefully preserve the patina )
I got the guts totally out......

empty!
( I even got that last tiny piece out, unfortunately that pic didn't come out all that great ) You get the gist :wink:

In order to keep the exterior looking totally untouched , I had to cut the top inch off the cylinder bore to re-use it, so I broke out my pipe cutter

All " back together " and test fit the batteries...... plenty of room ( 2 Remote Control car battery packs inside )

Next up.... :D

I had to continue drilling through the frame and radius the " tube and knob" pieces
( the tape was to protect from a possible wandering drill)
Precious patina!

I still have to " clearance" the chain guard to fit the extinguisher still.......( that's why it appears off center , for now )
I was getting too hot as it was extremely muggy today and I was outside the entire day......
So I zip tied the extinguisher up , and quickly laced the cloth covered wire up for a mock up pic ( the wires aren't tied in to the head and tail light yet)
The rest of the spool of wire is just crammed up the extinguisher for the pic too.......

Parting mock up shots.....

Stay tuned.....

:mrgreen:

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Update 7/11 Electrical Fyre!!

cool

Troy

Glad you were to use the extinguisher! Carbon Tet is not as bad as its made out to be since the effects are generally seen in long term exposures.

This is becoming one of my favorite builds for all the little quirky details.

Stubbornness, persistence, preserverence, grit, whatever. Glad you stuck with it--that is going to be cool. I live in a 107 year old house I restored (my 3rd in 35 years) and I have a pile of knobs and tubes from old wiring (disposed of the cloth-covered wire as it probably has some quantity of asbestos) I've used the tubes to make various hangers/racks for the neckties I used to wear, etc. but this is the best re-use of the knob portion of the kit I've seen.

Nice work.

ahhhhh you see,' where there is a will,there is a way'.... :mrgreen:
I had a feeling you would use that extingisher... :D :wink:
Bikes coming along great...

So glad you were able to use the extenquisher.
My favorite part is still the nob and tube electrical.
Your build continues to get better and better.
rrbbo8part9041_zpscc3c9a58.jpg

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Update 7/11 Electrical Fyre!!!

:D

Thanks to everyone for the great supportive comments ! You guys are all truly the best!

Persistance or thick-headedness really paid off!

It always amazes me how RRB.com really is a community :mrgreen:

Some Rest and Relaxation........

I was on a mini vacation for the weekend. My friends and I went for a Vintage Campout ( Fri-Sun ) at our favorite camp ground. They hosted

a camping show and they invited our camping club to represent the roots of camping in contrast to the $60k boring " keeping up with

the Jones" white boxes :roll:

( Pine Acres in Oakham Ma ) If ever you're passing through Massachusetts I strongly recommend going here !! 8)

http://pineacresresort.com/

It was GREAT to get away from it all and jump in the lake on the car tire tubes , couple zillion vintage adult beverages , and hanging with friends

Here's a few shots of the guys ( I'm behind the camera , but you all know what I look like :lol: )

:p

Back to the grind ....

Stay tuned.....

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Good old fashioned fresh air!!

Looks awesome! Also what frame is this? My straight bar '60 Tornado is very similar but the twin bars are not part of the seat stays and yours is one continuous bar at that junction?

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks awesome! Also what frame is this? My straight bar '60 Tornado is very similar but the twin bars are not part of the seat stays and yours is one continuous bar at that junction?

Thanks man!

It's a really rare 1961 Schwinn Skipper

Gold Street Customs said:
Looks like a blast, I just came back from the Coast, your pics came out alot better (see my post) very cool!!

It was definitely a BLAST! A shame about your camera luck though. Thanks ! :D

junknutz1975 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Thanks man!

It's a really rare 1961 Schwinn Skipper

Cool! Has a nicer flow to it with the continuous bars like that.

The Game is definitly a foot my dear Watson!

Googles, Pipe, and a Cheese Cutter Cap are in order to ride this one!

Love it!

I'm just hoping my CWC bike turns out this cool. :wink:

noodlenoggin said:
This bike has just reached "freakin' awesome" status for me.

Thanks a bunch! :mrgreen:

oldfart36 said:
The Game is definitly a foot my dear Watson!

Googles, Pipe, and a Cheese Cutter Cap are in order to ride this one!

Love it!

I'm just hoping my CWC bike turns out this cool. :wink:

:wink: That's awesome! :lol:

I have tomorrow off from work so I hope to get some tinker time in early to beat the heat :shock:

Stay tuned.....

Times a tickin.....

Thus far the pics of the extinguisher and chain guard have been just in mock up mode....

Today was the day to get them mounted and customized for real :wink: ......

This is where I had last left off ...

I removed the zip ties holding the extinguisher and scribbled some pencil marks where things had to be clearanced on the chain guard , chopped , ground , etc....

Drilled out the spot welds to salvage the bracket just in case...

Roughed out the shape to make room for the awesome battery hidey hole :wink: ( still REEEAL happy I followed through on using it )

Drilled extra holes in the extinguisher bracket so I could spot weld it to the seat post tube.....

Ground the paint the very absolute minimum on the bike ( If you haven't gathered thus far , I REALLY like to preserve patina to the best humanly possible extent :D ) and prepared the bracket some too.....

After much checking ,double checking, clamping, staring , wiping gobs of sweat.......
It's spot welded in place!

Masked it off really quickly and sprayed a light uneven coat of flat black to blend it back in ( wanted it to look like it was done years ago, not minutes. 8) )

I was able to test fit everything ( worked great! ) mocked up the chain guard and extinguisher.
Penciled some more marks , trimmed some more, and decided where the chain guard bracket would go .......

Spot welded bracket back in its new location....

Bolted in place, everything fits nicely! I'm very happy with it! :mrgreen:

NOW......

It's time for it to stop being BLUE......

Quick sanding to remove the small section of stripes so it would blend them down.....

Sprayed it with semi-matte white....

Un-masked and then sanded out the " Huffy " part......

Re-masked the whole thing but this time I used electrical tape ( you can save the silk screening cuz you see the raised outline and carefully cut it out
with a brand new razor blade )

Then I fogged in some grey primer , red primer , silver, charcoal , & flat black .
( all in several thin, misty , uneven coats )

Ratrodbikes.com stickers also work GREAT for masking :wink:

I unmasked everthing while it was tacky which PERFECTLY lifted the white to match the patina .

Further patina-ing when it dries for a day or so.........

( I tinkered for 5 hours in the 97 degrees and HUUUUUMID! )

I'd say it was a good day ( tinker-wise ) 8)

Stay Tuned.......

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Got Clearance Clarence 7/17

We live in the same area. I KNOW how hot and humid it was today. You worked on the bike for FIVE hours, outside, today (which I might add looks extremely COOL). Might I suggest, that you remove the word "junk" and the year 1975 from your screen name and just go by 'NUTZ". :wink:

Latest posts

Back