GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Got Clearance Clarence 7/17

Wow, the extinguisher is back, you didn't wreck the chainguard by painting it, this just keeps gettin' better.

Oh, and +1 on the wiring!

Love your attention to getting it right the way you want it.

Maybe a little worried about chances of heatstroke while doing so.

Might be a new thread.

What cost are paid in process of unique creations.

:D

KOTA said:
We live in the same area. I KNOW how hot and humid it was today. You worked on the bike for FIVE hours, outside, today (which I might add looks extremely COOL). Might I suggest, that you remove the word "junk" and the year 1975 from your screen name and just go by 'NUTZ". :wink:

Thanks Kota! Yeah it was hot as heck! :shock:
( yeah we are only like 15 minutes away )
Knock on wood there hasn't been blood or tears , but the SWEAT has certainly been poured into this build :wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
Very cool work! Seriously impressive bike, great ideas and great skill in accomplishing them...

Luke.

Thanks Luke ! Basic basic tools here ( other than the drill , angle grinder , and welder its all hand tools and lots of rust on the brain :p ) .
And my work bench is me on my hands and knees balanacing my work on blocks of wood and metal ( very pre-historic :wink: )

JoKeR63 said:
Wow, the extinguisher is back, you didn't wreck the chainguard by painting it, this just keeps gettin' better.

Oh, and +1 on the wiring!

Thanks A Ton! I guess Im a BlockHead :wink: ( Kindda fitting for a Gumby build huh? :lol: )

Gold Street Customs said:
I followed your pics on this and the words "Wow that's cool" jumped right out of my mouth, very impressive.

Thanks Dude!! I'm so psyched people think something lil old me is tinkering on is cool 8)

I cant wait to ride it! :mrgreen:

Kroozerdave said:
Love your attention to getting it right the way you want it.

Maybe a little worried about chances of heatstroke while doing so.

Might be a new thread.

What cost are paid in process of unique creations.

Thanks Dave!

I guess if your not sweatin your brains out building something cool , your not tryin hard enough :lol: :D :

:mrgreen:

8)

Today I have to work , but I set up my " Patina Jig " before heading out......

I wanted to patina the chain guard in its natural position , as if it were on the bike.
That way I can tinker on other aspects of the build and not waste time waiting.

1 spray bottle has salt water and peroxide. The second bottle has white vinegar and sun tea , so it can maybe stain the ratrodbikes.com part a smidge :D. I used 2 bottles cuz I wasn't sure I wanted to combine vinegar and peroxide in the same vessel ( they can do their dance once they are misted outdoors )

I suspended it over the water to replicate something rusting in a grassy field ( to make the SUPER humid weather we are experiencing even MORE HUMID! ) I figured the wood might retain a little moisture too , well see . :wink:

Today the heat index is 110 degrees so maybe its a blessing that I have to work :shock:

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS*****Dr Bunsen Honeydew " Patina Jig "

Keeping the dancing peroxide outdoors sounds like a really good idea.

And if anyone asks your can truthfully say part of the secret is rocket fuel. :mrgreen:

That chainguard looks GOOD! :shock: Great idea using the RRB decal as masking tape 8)

:D

Thanks Guys!

Who knew something with a " Dot Com " on it could look so old :shock:
1 day and it looks awesome , maybe another day or 2.....

I love how its turning out so far 8)

junknutz1975 said:
Who knew something with a " Dot Com " on it could look so old :shock:

Buy a Walmart bike and leave it outside for a year, it'll look old real quick. Especially if you live near the ocean. :mrgreen:

Day 2 of patina......

I LOVE how its aging :shock:

I didn't do any sanding to promote any edges or corners. All I have done is let " nature " take it's course.( spraying it with my potion every few hours or so )

It has been so hot n humid that the water " reservoir " below has evaporated and had to be refilled ( about 1 gallon each day! )

It's thinning the paint on the top surface as if it were sun faded , staining the white with rust some , and showing primer through in spots, paint checking

EXACTLY how I hoped it would!

It ought to be finished patina-ing in the morning 8)

I didn't get to do any bike work this weekend because we had an estate sale at my grandparents house
( basement where I found the extinguisher :wink: )

I have Wednesday off from work. More tinker time :mrgreen:

Stay tuned......

Better living through chemistry
That's a neat trick--I like the way it turned out.

8)

Thanks Chris! :D

This is the beginning of day 3.....

It is really great looking ( hard to see maybe in the pics ) hard to capture

It looks like its been black for years and not just days.....

Looks real natural , kinnda makes me wonder if Father Time and Mother Nature have spray bottles of this stuff too :wink:

Today they are forecasting some rain, which is excellent! The heatwave has broken !

( once I rinse it off with plain water some of the white salt marks will disappear . I have rinsed it each day before I start the day. looks AWESOME! ) I'm really loving this technique

Off to work all day ( 10a-9p )

Stay tuned......

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS*****Farm Raised RUST Day 3!!!

:p

Day 4...

Mother Nature decided to get off her butt and help a little :D

It rained a good deal overnight and more coming most of today ( areal flood watch warnings even )

Gotta work today anyways. Off Tomorrow for some Tinker Time!

Times a Tickin!

That came out great!! :p

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That came out great!! :p

Thanks Buddy ! :D

:p
Got lots of tinker time in the garage today ( was beautiful weather now that the mugginess has broken 8) )

First up ( after many moons of pondering and pondering and head scratching and staring at my original concept for mounting the headlight I got to work ) slight modification to the concept of having a " sprung" headlight.....

Here is the beautiful early fender brace that I bought from member SimpleMan ( Thanks dude! I love it! )

When I first saw it the shape instantly made me think of an early Ford bumper :shock: .
So I mocked it up to see how it might look.....

I liked it , but I didn't care for the springs in conjunction with the " bumper " idea .

So I got out the drill and ......

And the angle grinder..... :shock:

Vice grip mock up to measure up and pencil mark out the chop , drilled some holes......

Chop Chop

All trimmed up , ground to shape , found some nicely patina'd chain guard screws , and bolted all back together. I like how it came out :D

Finally I can roll the bike around :oops: , up til now I've had to carry it around ( the headlight was resting on the front tire while I figured out what I wanted to do )
I mock things up til I'm 100% sold on the idea before I jump

wired the headlight and tail light ,
Installed the Nos Skip tooth chain ......

Then I mounted the chain guard that I patina'd ( SOOOO happy with how it fits in to the whole overall look of the build :shock: )

I like the "crash bar " Early Ford-like bumper , I think it ties in nicely to the Model A Ford tail light and the Ford starter tail light base
( weirdest thing of all is I'm not even a Ford guy, refer to my avatar for a refresher course :wink: )

Then Night Fell....

I love the Dual headlight , red marker light and super obnoxious bright tractor beam ( on-off-on switch )
I just hooked the wires up to the batteries on the ground for the pic ( much easier to test them on the ground than stowing them in the extinguisher )

Stay tuned.....

Latest posts

Back