Harbor Freight drills?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Are the drills at harbor freight any good? If so, which ones. Also are gen8, powersmiths any good? I have a black and decker that just took a dump, and I am looking for cheap alternatives.

id take makita cordless over any other except maybe panasonic, but for anything that plugs in millwakee is tough...to beat!! :mrgreen:

I restored an 1873 house over a period of 3 years and only used Harbor Freight orange Chicago Electric corded drills ($10). I had to reaplace it after 2 years, but we're only talking $10. I also have an 18V cordless Harbor Freight drill and it has worked fine for me. I have found if you only need a tool for occasional use Harbor Frieght is fine.

Tool theory: like a bike, what you choose depends on planned usage. Is it going to be used 8 hours a day, or on sporatic projects? You can buy a new $10 drill every year for a decade, or you can shell out $100 all at once. I've used & purchased tools from Harbor Freight. Had no problems, but I'm a hobbist, not a pro. Good luck!

check out the pawn shops ..thrift stores....mayb a buddy thats hard up 4 cash ...i see tons of drills and hand tools at garage sales ..usually super cheap ...i have never bought anything from HF before but i have heard good and bad ...like elmer said i guess its what ur gonna use it for and how hard ur gonna use it ...i know my dad had 3 hand drills on his sale this summer ..sold 2 of em im pretty sure he has an old B&D one left ...prolly sell it pretty chep ...i can ask if ya want me 2 ...im not sure about shipping cost ...may b cheaper 2 just get one at HF ...

ratcycle said:
Are the drills at harbor freight any good? If so, which ones. Also are gen8, powersmiths any good? I have a black and decker that just took a dump, and I am looking for cheap alternatives.

Ya gets what ya pay for.(use them once,throw them away)

Spend the extra cabbage and buy good ones.

Black & Decker = Dewalt. Same company. Gary

Yes, same company, not entirely the same product. In the USA B&D now Stanley B&D makes Black & Decker, Dewalt, Porter Cable, and Delta power tools. These are listed in order (worst to best, so to speak) by their place in the consumer/professional market.

Curtis Odom
Former B&D Engineering Manager.

I got a good price on my Milwaukee cordless from these guys.

http://cpooutlets.com/?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPHhluiq1qoCFY5V7AodzVtp7g&keyword=cpo+tools&sissr=1

It was "reconditioned", and it did fail, but after a lot of use, and Milwaukee fixed it under the 5 yr warantee.

I also got a Milwaukee radio the uses the drills battery for a great price on sale.

They have some good sale prices once in awhile.

I'd go for multiple $10 Harbor Freight throw aways for light use, but I had a big job to do, and my drill is super powerful.

If you go cordless, make sure to get a charger and a second battery, no matter which brand you buy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but if does have speeds. I want to know a price and see a pic of it. I cannot afford anyting right now but later in the week i can.

The Chicago Electric one I have (8 years old) is a variable speed with a keyless chuck. For the money it's alright just a little weak to me. I like the cheap stuff but sometimes you just have to work around it

Latest posts

Back