Has anyone used a spray-on truck bedliner product as a finish?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously contemplating using a spray-on truck bedliner product as a portion of the paint finish for my current WBO bike but wondering what pitfalls I may encounter. I am going to experiment with it on the inside of the fender to start.

I believe that Rhino Liner stuff is just polyurethane applied in a proprietary way - certain thickness, certain colorings, certain way of spraying it, but ultimately just polyurethane.

I also think you'd find that it goes on a little too thick - that it would require reaming it out of any openings it got into, that it would totally fill any threads in completely, etc.

If you wanted to use a similarly tough coating, you'd probably be better off layering polyurethane on a little at a time rather than one or more thick coatings the way they do truck beds.

These are guesses only, but if you pursue this, you'll really want to experiment with it before putting it on anything you value.

I haven't seen it on a bike, but every time I've seen someone do it on the exterior of a car, and I've seen a few...mostly rocker panel area...it looks bad. It is just way too thick and isn't really blendable in any way.

If you are just looking for some texture, try crinkle (krinkle) coat paints...they come in colors, and though there is a certain amount of technique to get a good uniform texture, if you don't nail it on the first couple attempts it is easily removable :happy:.

Jason

I believe that Rhino Liner stuff is just polyurethane applied in a proprietary way - certain thickness, certain colorings, certain way of spraying it, but ultimately just polyurethane.

I also think you'd find that it goes on a little too thick - that it would require reaming it out of any openings it got into, that it would totally fill any threads in completely, etc.

If you wanted to use a similarly tough coating, you'd probably be better off layering polyurethane on a little at a time rather than one or more thick coatings the way they do truck beds.

These are guesses only, but if you pursue this, you'll really want to experiment with it before putting it on anything you value.

Bed coatings are polyurea, not sure that is the same thing as polyurethane?
I don't know...

Latest posts

Back