Hawthorne Twin Bar (2)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the seatpost figured out. The hardware attachment to the seat tube is a bit clunky but it will end up being covered by some sheet metal in the end. The other hardware bits will need to be blued before final assembly, but it's stout. A long cantilever and no flex at all.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Looks like I can get the seat far enough away from the cranks to have decent leg room and keep pretty good lines overall. It will be further forward than in the photo in the end.

IMG_0567.jpg

The bars have been a puzzle too. Once the seat slides back the bars need to extend.

Started messing around with some old Schwinn Varsity bars. They're narrow but with some mods can probably work and will look pretty cool. Kind of a poor man's Airflow bars...

IMG_0573.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to fit these things in the tubing bender to open them up a bit...

Those bars are insane and they really play well with the seatpost!

Have any of you guys bent bars with a conduit bender? They don't need much probably just about a 10 degree tweak.

I have the cheap hydraulic bender from Harbor Freight but really can't get these bars into the frame. I suppose the frame could be modified.

So I modified the bender and managed to fit the bars into the frame and get them tweaked a bit.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

And added some bar ends. Bent out to widen the stance and make them more comfortable. The goal really is to be able to ride this comfortably for a couple of hours at a time.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Hopefully it gets there.

I should have paid more attention. The light I may use is also the same light. :)

It looks like the bikes will have similar seat/BB/handlebar relationships. Do you put many miles on yours and if so has it been pretty comfortable?

BTW I just checked out your facebook link. Great bikes there. I especially like this one.

1798332_623829037703857_2638721791140730589_n.jpg

I should have paid more attention. The light I may use is also the same light. :)

It looks like the bikes will have similar seat/BB/handlebar relationships. Do you put many miles on yours and if so has it been pretty comfortable?

First, thanks for the compliment. Second, you're right, there are a lot of similarities in the seat/BB/bar placements. I noticed the bars, but I hadn't actually put all of the rest of that together.

As to whether I ride it or not, it's one of three bikes currently in rotation to be ridden, so I ride it quite a bit. It's actually very comfortable. My only complaint is that the bars would be perfect if they were even just an inch further back to grip them, so yours might even be better for riding position.

So I saw this for sale on the Cabe and couldn't resist. Figured the gears may come in handy and I've always liked the New Departure shifters.

This Triplspeed is something I've never seen before, some of you are probably familiar with them. Three speed coaster brake with a huge rear sprocket. Super sweet looking. It does add some width so I will need to open up the rear dropouts about 1/2".

triplspeed3.jpg

I also decided to powder coat the original rims and go with new zinc spokes. I usually relace using the old spokes but the zinc should grey out pretty quickly. The powder coat needs to be dulled a bit too.

triplspeed2.jpg

triplspeed1.jpg

I'm gone this weekend but will hopefully get things rolling pretty soon.

Never heard of one of those. What a unique hub for a unique bike!

I'll let you know how it works. The cool thing is that this can be added to any ND Model D coaster brake from what I can tell. I don't think they're all that common though.

It does put the hub off center enough that the wheel needs to be 'dished' when laced which I'm not sure I have the ability or patience to do so I may have to job it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How you doing over there Twin?

Latest posts

Back