HEADBANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Headbanger - A Soft Tail Chopper

Yeah HeadBanger cuz I'm bangin' my head against a wall tryin' to figure some of this out...hehe.

Started building a frame jig today, because the more I eyeball this thing up, the "crookeder" it gets!
Been practicing on my rusty old welding skills all week, got my tabs for the pivot all done, ready to weld on the rear clip.
So I need a jig.

But I can't weld the pivot til I figure out what I'm gonna use for my shock bracket, cuz the exact spot may move... :shock:

Re: Headbanger - A rolling chassis!

Got my welds on today... still need to clean them up but I just had to get it off the jig and see how she sits...
I'm still not too sure about that 26" front wheel, may go back to the 24" ...
But it fits me size wise ( I'm 6ft ) and the soft tail works as I hoped it would. :D

Gotta get stackin' in my garage too, that space is where my van rests all winter...

Carl,
It looks awsome so far And looks like it will ride even better than it looks.

It's almost time to put some lipstick on this pig. I was going to use the banana seat as a color inspiration...
(You didn't think I was gonna use that hard pan after going thru all the hassle to make it a soft tail, did you?) :lol:
But, I haven't got a banana yet. I've got a couple different paint schemes in mind too.
So I'll go see what's in stock... 21 days...

Yes... :wink: What I wish I had was a springer sissy... but the seat should attach to the front clip to make the ride all comfy. That's the whole idea, it's a soft tail, and it should be comfortable. I'm 6 ft tall and 220 lbs so the original lil' chopper just didn't get it for me. I liked the look though, so I wanted to see if I could make this bike fit me. I got a deal (40 bucks) on an old Cannondale cad2 touring bike, years ago and that's my daily. I did a lot to that bike to get it comfy. beefier tires, ditching the drop bars and adding a shock absorber seat post... really helps my old back injury. But that style of seat post wasn't enough for this build, so I looked to a MTB style frame for ideas. Using the whole front clip was what I came up with. Attaching the sissy to the rear will compromise this a bit, so now I'm looking at ways around that...51 days!

Carl, how strong is the seat tube on the frame? Looks pretty beefy from the pics. Do you think a L shaped seat post with a rear mount welded to the back, so the whole seat is supported from it would work? Or would that be too much stress on the tube?
Really don't want to break or bend that tube though...

Maybe moving the seat forward a bit so your weight is still central or close to the post would be the answer?

10994238923_91e7f597bc_z.jpg

Luke.

Yeah it's beefy, 27.2 or something like that... I picked up a red 'nanner the other day, with a simple sissy. Tapped the top hole in the rear dropouts 3/8-16 and ran a stainless bolt thru from the inside, clears the chain and looks nice with chrome acorns on the outside to hold the sissy, but it's not a springer sissy... :cry:

Its the front fork disc brake I'm having issues with. OCC fork has the dropouts centered on the tube instead of flush on the inside, I'm gonna have to notch the end to clear the disc, just like you notched your rear tube to clear the chain...I'm not that good of a welder but I'm the only one here and I've done all my own so far... so it's me that's gotta get er' done.

Pics soon I'm doin' my own paint... red metallic fade into gold metallic... so it's all apart again :wink:

The frustrating thing is I can visualize all of this, but my rusty welding skills and the equipment I have to use, is limiting what I can put into reality. But hey, I'm having a blast figuring this all out! :D

Re: Headbanger

Not happy with my fade...The red metalflake is awesome, the gold is not, it's just okay... I really want something like that yellow metalflake color used on Murray and Sears fades... so no pics. Plenty of time for a do over... may switch up the scheme too :lol:

That gold color you are talking about is awesome! Seems to almost have a light behind it it glows so much! Pretty sure it would have to be a candy style paint to get that effect, but I wouldn't know for sure...

Luke.

Re: HeadBanger

Yeah it's a yellow really but it has that golden glow that I haven't found on any store rack...
never gonna use rustoleum again either...dupicolor is waaaay better...

GuitarlCarl said:
Punch List:
Get donor bike (get some cash)
Weld tabs on Schwinn (remember how to weld)
Suicide brake on the front (source a 24" coaster brake rim)
build shifter for the front crank (thread a Tiki head)
paint scheme (flat black is rat)
detail, rams, saddle, shifter boot...(my head is starting to hurt) 50 days left... :shock:

CHECK on the first two, scratch the coaster goin' for a disc
scratch the shifter too but tiki the suicide...
maybe back in black? details details... and 10 days left... NO 41 days left :lol:

BRRR it's cold out... painted over the weekend. Sorry for the fuzzy pic musta been shiverin'.
Dupli-color red metal speck into Dupli-color universal metallic black...
Waaaay nicer in person, more red than orange, I'll getcha a better pic.
but for now it's most of a bike again...hehe.

Carl.

Wow this is lookin sweet! Definitely diggin' that fade! Does the seat feel weird wiggling on the suspension pivot?

bigfatcat said:
Wow this is lookin sweet! Definitely diggin' that fade! Does the seat feel weird wiggling on the suspension pivot?
No, she pivots fine, got it set stiff enough, it's not really springy.
LukeTheJoker said:
Super nice fade work!

Luke.
CRASH said:
That's looking like a real bike! Nice work!
Thanks, you guys are too kind, but this pic does show the colors better...
The back of the bows around the shock are black too :wink:

Latest posts

Back