Headlight LED the easy way

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of the new guys on here and I figured I should try to make myself useful...
I've seen a lot of interest in converting headlights to LED. Most old style bike headlights I've seen use the same tiny, worthless screw-in bulb; that bulb is called an e10 base bulb.
Well, you can get a really bright LED that just screws right in; no modifications needed at all. Google "Cree e10 LED petzl". They're about $14. Very bright - they make your headlight into a real light rather than mostly an ornament.
I like this better than a factory LED light because they alweys seem to use tiny AA or AAA batreries in LED lights. The ones originally built as incandescent usually have C or D batteries that last a lot longer.
I'd post a direct link but I'm not sure that's cool to do on here.
I'm pretty sure that bulb is also available in "bayonet" base, thats the one with the flange like flashlights use in case your light uses that.

Great tip!

I did a quick search and found that some are good for any voltage between 2 and 9V, very handy for conversions and scratch built lights!

16830394526_496ff370d3_o.jpg

Luke.

They work great, I have been doing this for a few years now. Especially on lights I don't want to alter, the one I used was 75 Lumen. 120 must be super bright! Gotta try one of these!

It's amazing the amount of new LEDs they're coming out with for all kinds of applications.

I want to do this for my wife's tank light. Can you use the stock battery size, or do you have to change the battery case to a different size?
That's the Great thing about these... you just replace your old bulb for the LED. some, you have to reverse the batteries, that's it! I have them on a lot of my old Delta lights, I didn't want to alter a hard to find vintage light if I don't have to... but I want a nice bright LED. I haven't had one fail yet. mine are 75 Lumen's, this one is 120! I got's to try one of these!:thumbsup:

Just ordered 1 for my light, if it works I will get more, pricey in the UK though, just under 11 pounds for 1 bulb!

On mine, the LED ends up a little bit forward in the reflector so it doesn't focus the beam very tight, but that's been no issue because it throws so much light there's plenty to go around and I like the wider "floodlight" beam I have now. I don't think I even want brighter light than its making.

It's the 120 lumen one, from the UK. And it's even NOT polarity-sensitive... it doesn't matter whether your light has the center terminal as the positive or as the negative.

Latest posts

Back